“Fabulous Ethiopian food!”

Mahider Ethiopian Restaurant & Market
Ranked #105 of 1,590 Restaurants in Salt Lake City
Cuisines: African, Ethiopian
Reviewed 16 August 2016

We've eaten Ethiopian food several times, and our dinner at Mahider was as good as we've ever had. Portions were plentiful, and the meal was budget price. The atmosphere is basic, and the neighborhood is a little run-down but neither detract from the exquisite flavors and presentation of our meal.

Date of visit: August 2016

Reviewed 4 August 2016 via mobile

Great service and great food. Not a lot of people have had Ethiopian food, and this place is great for your first time and great if you're well versed in their food. We always get the combo, it gives us a good balance of what they offer. Try the mead, or one of the Ethiopian beers. Great for small groups, eating with your hands is a great ice breaker.

Date of visit: August 2016
Reviewed 18 July 2016

I have eaten at several different Ethiopian restaurants, and this was by far the best. Service was slow, so I wouldn't recommend going on a tight schedule, but otherwise everything was amazing! I ordered the sampler platter and ate until I could not possibly eat any more. I loved all of the options on the platter, particularly the chicken. Highly recommended!

Date of visit: July 2016
Reviewed 13 July 2016

This is one of my new favorites - the food was clean without unneeded spices, salts or sugars….just great tasting fresh ingredients. Of course, served on a platter with a basket of injera to dive into flavors and colors of Ethiopian cooking. It felt very comfortable and nourishing to eat without utensils - plus great for conversation.

The staff loves what they do and are very efficient and outgoing - obviously, familiar with newbies. Their smiles erased any of our hesitation as gourmands….and eating without utensils may be new to us - but it felt like home. There were large portions and we were delightfully surprised to learn how non-messy it could be. (Although we went through a lot of napkins as novices.) We ordered full menu items and tasters but I think it can be very reasonable to eat here often once we learn how to be more selective on the platters.

There are lots of regulars there which speaks to the authenticity of the food and friendliness. The decor is very plain and well-lit, clean and family friendly.

Ask about their coffee ceremonies and for their suggestions on what to order. The platters are adjustable to your tastes and the staff loves to please and surprise your palettes. Enjoy!

Date of visit: July 2016
Reviewed 8 July 2016 via mobile

We went to have dinner for my wife's birthday. We had them make a platter for three people. The food was great. Loved every bite. My wife felt it was to spicy for her. I thought it was perfect.

The staff was very friendly and helpful. My family in Maryland use to love going to a Ethiopian Restaurant in Washington DC. This restaurant is just as good.

Date of visit: June 2016