“Good food and great desserts”

The Dodo Restaurant
Ranked #36 of 1,575 Restaurants in Salt Lake City
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 14 July 2018

The restaurant is nice looking, I like the mural of all the dodos. The food was very good and decently priced. The desert was amazing. I had the banana pie and the turtle pie and they were exceptional. Would definitely come here again if I was in the SLC area.

Reviewed 19 June 2018 via mobile

We go here often and everyone has a favorite. Smoked turkey sandwich with amazing dipping sauce is a favorite. The salad de Maison with lemon peppered grilled salmon is perfection. They have great options for kids, too. Indoor and wonderful outdoor patio in the summer. The desserts are excellent. I live the toll house pie where other family members like banana cream cheese pie with hot Carmel sauce. My friend loves the chocolate moouse pie. All items are great!

Reviewed 2 May 2018 via mobile

We went in for Sunday brunch and left completely happy with the food and service. Braden was our waiter and he was so enthusiastic about the food and responsive to our questions, we took every suggestion he gave us. Our favorites were the skillet, which came in a cool presentation of pork, hash browns, eggs and other goodness (delicious!), and the blueberry sour cream pie, which was absolutely heavenly. The only drawback was that it was really noisy, but we were also seated close to an excessively loud talker, so that may have made it seem louder for us. Overall, we considered this a wonderful find and would definitely return when we come back to the area!

Reviewed 30 April 2018

This is clearly a very popular restaurant. The first time we went, at 8 pm there was a 20 minute wait and it was very noisy in the lobby. We left and went to one of many restaurants walking distance away.
Our second visit, earlier in evening, 6pm, restaurant was also very busy. We sat at the bar, which the host stated was quieter than main dining area. Given its popularity, my opinion may be an outlier and perhaps a reflection of my palette and age (62). I had a pasta tarragon chicken dish, rich and bland. I added parmesan, and lots of pepper for flavor. My partner had an enchilada that was tastier. Salads were very nice but had too much salty dressing. Fresh vegetables were a nice, properly cooked medley, but had the distinct look of a packaged mix.
In summary, I think the price points are quite reasonable and the food is heavy, rich with lots of cream sauces, oil, salt and sugar. The portions are reasonable, though perhaps skippy on protein and heavy on noodles and sauces. It all just seems like an old fashioned, heavy style of cooking. Not bad, not delicious.
We tried desserts, as all are made in house. Chocolate torte yummy, very very dense and rich. Coffee cake was also tasty with tons (too much) caramel sauce. We took most of dessert home and would advise sharing.
Last, service was spotty. We had to flag the bartenders to get attention if we wanted more water, wine, parmesian.... In fact we found a big error, in our favor, on the bill. I gave it back to the bartender to correct. He set the bill aside, waited on customers placing to go orders at counter, fooled around and after about a 15 minute wait, got around to correcting the bill and adding our alcohol purchase. He finally returned it to us, without a "thank you." No good deed goes unpunished! We had a good laugh and head shake! Won't be back.

1  Thank sadieski
Reviewed 16 April 2018 via mobile

I had eaten here one time before, and the food was very good. Today it was just OK. I ordered the Crab Eggs Benedict. One of the English muffins was burnt. The hash browns were also overdone and flavorless. The food in general lacked consistency. The first glass of lemonade did not come with a lemon, but the second did. As I stated in the titIe the waiter provided great service, so I will definitely try brunch here again, and see if it was an off day.