“Two words: Kouing Aman”

Ranked #4 of 27 Bakeries in Salt Lake City
Dining options: Breakfast
Dining options: Breakfast
Reviewed 22 June 2017 via mobile

The kouing aman (kouign amann) is a crunchy, sweet, rich pastry bursting with flavor that your tastebuds will have flashbacks of for weeks. Seriously, this delicious treat from Brittany, France, is as good as anything I've tasted in many trips to Paris. It will set you back about $5, but you won't miss the five after your first bite. Chef Romina knows what she's doing.

1  Thank LindaHawley

Reviewed 6 June 2017

Les Madeleines is on a street with a number of small restaurants in a row and they all have outdoor seating on the sidewalk under the trees, which gives the block a kind of European feel. I had read that they’re famous for their Kouing (pronounced “queen”) Aman pastry, but they also have a well edited breakfast & lunch menu. I was there for lunch, and the day’s special was a Salade Nicoise, which was grand. I did have a Kouing Aman for dessert, and it was heavenly. Coffee was good and it’s served with heavy cream – outrageous, but I’m not complaining. Thumb’s up.

1  Thank artnik
Reviewed 1 May 2017

I had heard great things about this place and never had a chance to visit it during open hours. We went a couple of days ago and I thought it would be a great experience. They forgot to bring us our meals. We waited a rather long time for them. When we got them, they were already cold. Compared to other dining experiences with similar menus and ingredients, I feel the food was over priced. The desserts were better priced and better quality than the savory food. We went there for lunch, so we ordered both. I am not sure I would go back. The lady who took our order was extremely nice and patient.

Reviewed 17 April 2017 via mobile

Les Madeline is a smallish bakery in downtown SLC that serves the most incredible baked goods! I can't say enough about this place. I've had pastries from around the world and this place is one of the best. The passion puff, oh my gosh, decadent and rich, I wish I cod eat two. There are so many good things to choose from but the kouing ammon is the star! I will. Not. Share! If you live in SLC and have never been here...GO!! If you are visiting, make this place a priority!! You won't be disappointed!!

Reviewed 7 March 2017 via mobile

This was our first visit and we went for lunch and had a disappointing experience despite the encouragement from the really high number of stars on here. Our fries were very dry, the ham and cheese croissant had almost no ham or cheese. The soup was watered down and the latte we were given had an odd aftertaste. They were also out of almost all of their gelato flavors. This all could have been overlooked and we would have given it a second chance except for the fact that a senior staff member (owner/manager) was having a business meeting in the dining area and did not know the difference between her inside and outside voice. She practically shouted the entire time we were eating and it was impossible to "enjoy" our lackluster meal. Overall we had a bad experience and won't be returning.