“Simple Tex-Mex food but very good”

Taqueria El Taco Loco
Ranked #67 of 411 Restaurants in Brownsville
Reviewed 17 December 2017

Don't let the appearance fool you. This place is simple and basic from a table and service standpoint but the food I authentic and fresh. This place was busy and full of local's so we knew that the food had to be good. We ended up ordering the taco's and they were very good. The overall cost of the meal was also very economical. What a great experience.

Reviewed 15 December 2017 via mobile

Short and to the point bad service. Server forgot every item we ordered. Cocaroches on the wall and six bad tacos eat one and left. Thanks but no thanks.

Reviewed 1 March 2017 via mobile

The best tacos in the Brownsville area, excellent gut steak service and good prices.. 100 % recomendado.

Reviewed 27 October 2016

I was staying at a nearby hotel and needed to eat something ... fortunately El Taco Loco was nearby.

It's a very basic small town cafe-style restaurant that serves Mexican style tacos (yeah, on the small tortillas). Even living in the taco-rich environment of Mexico City, I was very pleased with the steak tacos and the goat meat tacos. They were very, very good.

Service was good and on the spot. Prices were in line with expectations.

The only drawback is that they don't serve beer. But for that I'd go back ... but I'm an old Texas boy and gotta have beer with my tacos.

Reviewed 28 June 2016

First of all, I took the time to read the negative reviews and I disagree with them; Taco Loco Is a typical sized dine in taco stand. I have not visited a dine in taco stand in Brownsville that serves you chips and salsa as you sit, order and wait. The typical Mexican restaurant in Brownsville usually does that, but more often these days, chips are now on the menu and at a PRICE, very few restaurants in Brownsville actually serve chips and salsa as a FREE starter!
So, like others, I had heard a bunch of good things about TACO LOCO, so I decided to stop on by and purchase some taquitos TO GO. The place was clean, well lighted, and had plenty of parking. The service was bilingual and friendly. OH, the service was FAST as well. As I was paying to leave, I asked for a sample of their tripas, I was given a small amount and offered to pay for the sample and they declined to charge me. (wow- great marketing!) Yes, at 95 cents a taquito, not a bad price.
For those of you who do not live in Brownsville, or know the Valley culture, taquitos can vary from city to city, and the salsa as well. I was satisfied with the bistek tquitos and charro beans (and the sample of tripas were excellent).
So, word of mouth that this place is good, IT SURE IS. It's not an upscale taco stand where all the "wanna be seen" hang out and pay a higher price for taquitos (and the quality is not all that its hyped up to be).
Next time in Brownsville or living in Brownsville and haven/t tried them, give TACO LOCO a try, you will not be disappointed. ENJOY!