“Best Mexican restaurant period”

El Sarape Restaurant
Ranked #385 of 1,868 Restaurants in Albuquerque
Cuisines: Mexican
Neighbourhood: Nob Hill
Neighbourhood: Nob Hill
Reviewed 18 March 2018 via mobile

I come to this restaurant all the time this is the real taste of Mexican food I have try all if not most of the Mexican restaurants here in town and this is the only one that you can say the food taste real Mexican you can come here with the confidence that you will eat good and prices aren't that bad so give it a try you won't be disappointed

Reviewed 20 May 2017

If you are looking for a restaurant that has authentic New Mexican food, this is not the place for you. We liked the food, but I could get it in any Mexican restaurant in any town in the US. They didn't even have Sopapillas or use Hatch Green Chile.

Reviewed 2 March 2017 via mobile

This place may not catch your eye driving by. However, if you want to eat good and get satisfied, you have to stop and eat. The food was great, the service was excellent, and your taste buds will happy, along with your stomach. It's great!

Reviewed 20 January 2017 via mobile

I eat here frequently and at both locations. I think I've had every item on the menu and you can't go wrong! My favorite is the tacos de barbacoa And I judge all restaurants by this one. The service has always been pleasant and I'm always treated like family! A must try!

Reviewed 4 September 2016

There is a 2nd El Sarape at 3248 Isleta Blvd SW, just north of Rio Bravo. I've been here several times but not the one on Central Ave. The food is authentic and very good. The menus are primarily in Spanish with English explanations below. Chips and a spicy salsa arrived soon after we sat down. We had beer and I ordered my beer as a michelada. For dinner we decide on Barbacoa Tacos and Chicken Flautas. The michelada came out in a cold, large mug with the tomato juice and spices filling up about 1/3. I was able to fill it to the top with my beer. Very tasty! Dinner was good and we had enough to bring home a little bit.

As one other person commented the noise was a bit loud. We were in with only two other tables and the TV was turned on quite loud to an old Spanish western. Neither of the other tables were watching so why have the TV on fairly loud? Otherwise - nice authentic place for Mexican food.