“Great homestyle cooking and reasonably priced”

Big Horn Restaurant
Ranked #20 of 137 Restaurants in Estes Park
Cuisines: American, Barbecue, Diner
Good for: Child-friendly
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast
Reviewed 28 June 2017

we enjoyed a couple of meals at this location which was within walking distance from our hotel. The salads, chicken fried steak and warmed chocolate cake a la mode were delicious.

Reviewed 25 June 2017

More than enough to eat, great food. The ham and cheese omelette on a croissant was really good. The regular breakfast of eggs, potatoes, bacon, and toast was excellent and I couldn't finish it!

Reviewed 25 June 2017 via mobile

This place was amazing! Our waitress was very informative about the area and our food was great large servings and great prices!

Reviewed 23 June 2017

You can tell that this restaurant was a big family place at one time but shows its age. There are lots of rooms there for groups and large amounts of people. When we went, the place was sparsely occupied. The people eating there looked like they were regulars.

Their "salad bar" is sparse with lettuce, a few side dishes, a few toppings, and one soup. Basically the ingredients for a simple salad. My husband is a vegetarian/diabetic and was hoping this would help supplement his meal. Not the case since potato salad is something he tries to avoid.

The food was fast, server polite. Restaurant was not air conditioned. They did have Elk or Bison burger (sorry, I forgot) Food was good and portions were fine. The bathroom was older, too.

We like to go to "mom and pop" local restaurants, but this was a disappointment.

Reviewed 23 June 2017 via mobile

As always, based on Trip Advisor reviews, we selected The Big Horn Restaurant for lunch. Most of the reviews we saw online were for breakfast, not lunch. We were seated immediately and there were a fair amount of diners when we arrived. Encouraging? Yes! Well when our server came over, I tried to engage her in conversation about the noted lunch selections. I think there might have been a bit of a language barrier so I don't want to put too much emphasis on the server's inability to recommend particular dishes. I saw the fried chicken going by for another diner and so I asked her how was the fried chicken. (I'm not a sandwich person!). To that question she answered "very good." I asked her how long it would take because fried chicken often takes 20 minutes or so. But she says not too long. Then my husband ordered a patty melt which came with French fries and I ordered the chicken and cottage cheese for a side. With the meals, i. e. the fried chicken also included the salad bar and a cup of soup. The soup was a chicken, vegetable, pasta and it was very good. The salad bar was okay. Not many selections but ok. The ranch dressing was good, tasted homemade. Our lunch came out in about 10 minutes. My husband's patty melt was as expected, it was grilled on marble rye. Okay, my chicken was in a word...inedible. It was as if the kitchen prepared it earlier and then when it was ordered it was put in a deep fryer to "freshen" it up to be served! I cut the breast piece in half. What was closer to the top was almost too hot to eat, but when I used my fork to get some of the meat, close to the bone the meat was cooked but was cold!!! The thigh piece was oozing what looked like blood. OMG!! I get the server over and said I could not eat anything on the plate. I ended up eating 1/2 of the patty melt along with the salad, soup and the cottage cheese. No one came over to find out why I sent back my entree. The server charged me for half the price of the meal since I had the sides. I guess that was fair. However I don't usually write negative reviews, if I don't like a place I'm going to visit once when we are traveling I won't give a bad review...usually. But not in this case. There was a man working the cash register who seemed to be the manager on duty. That he didn't come over doesn't speak well for the restaurant's policies. So I do not recommend The Big Horn but the Pattie melt and the sides were good enough not to rate it a 2-star which is poor. That's the only reason it was rated 3.