Contact accommodation for availability.
There are similar hotels available.
3,653 results
All reviews ghost tour stephen king cascades restaurant whiskey bar beautiful hotel the main hotel fourth floor ghost hunters haunted room paranormal activity hedge maze haunted hotel concert hall night tour bucket list great history hotel tour
Selected filters
Reviewed 21 July 2021

We booked Heritage Suite - very large bedroom, living room, dining, kitchenette. Park on that side of building for quick stairway to entrance to the rooms - very quiet. The room was sizable and clean. TV and window a/c unit which cooled room during heat wave stay. The lobby was comfortable, history rich and with fireplaces. Drinks on front porch with views. Dined at Cascades (make reservation) which was good. Busy hotel with tours, etc. but if you are into the history of hotel, it was worth the stay especially since it was close to Beaver Meadow Entrance.

Reviewed 20 July 2021

We stopped by for a snack and to see the hotel as we love The Shining. I had been there a few years ago and you could see the typewriter Jack used in the movie, stick your heads in the cardboard cutouts for the Redrum twins, etc. They have moved those things to places that require a paying tour to see them. The redrum red velvet cupcake from the snack bar was a little disappointing too.

Date of stay: June 2021
Reviewed 19 July 2021

I was so excited to stay here, but the happiness diminished when I checked in. I had already paid the one night's deposit on the required two night minimum stay and was told there would be a $200 "Incidental charge" added to my bill in case anything broke in my room. When I questioned this, I was told it's a historic hotel and sometimes things break. I questioned why I would have to pay for something if it breaks and they said it sometimes happens. They said housekeeping would check my room AFTER I left and if all is OK, they would release the $200 hold. Well, within minutes of checking in, my credit card was charged for the second night PLUS $200. This was not a "hold" as they had told me.

Parking was terrible. Even though we were staying at the hotel, good luck finding a parking space. There was a wedding there and we were lucky to find any place to park and had to park in a field. To me, when you are paying $347 per night, you should be guaranteed a parking space.

We asked if there was a luggage cart, when we checked in, and was told they don't have any bellhops and we'd have to find it ourselves. They could be found anyplace in the hotel so he wished us luck. Great customer service! We carried everything in ourselves.

Also, at check in, no information was given to us. Example: we found out by walking around that there were actually places to eat on the property. They never told us about walking out the back to see the water feature or the outside dining. Just so disappointing,

We were on the 4th floor and the air-conditioner they provide is so loud, it's difficult to sleep. The second night we had to turn it off and brought in our own fan that we had brought with us.

Upon checking out, I asked the manager to come and check out my room to make sure I didn't break anything as I wanted my $200 refunded to me. I was told they only have 30% of their staff now and they are short-handed. He said housekeeping would check out my room. Housekeeping was contacted and permission was given to release the hold. To protect myself, I wrote up my own document and had them sign off on it that all was in order. I'll see how long it takes to REFUND the $200 that they insist was a HOLD. It was not.

The front desk told me that ALL hotels put an "Incidental charge" hold on your credit card. I have been on a cross road trip for the past 25 days and have stayed in LOTS of hotels and NOT ONE has put an "incidentals" hold on my credit card. I told the Stanley Hotel this and they told me they all do it and I'm probably not aware of it. They are very condescending and I didn't appreciate it. I just checked into another Choice Hotel tonight and had this discussion with the front desk. They told me they DO NOT put any hold on my credit card for incidentals.

As for the hotel..... they do not clean very well. Maybe this is because they only have 30% of their staff. Tables in the lobby, as well as where we waited for our tour, were very dusty. Speaking of the tour..... that was the high point of staying there. We took the "Day" tour and our guide, Carl, was very informative. It was a great tour and he is an asset to the Stanley Hotel. The front desk people..... not so welcoming. Because of their rudeness, I would not stay there again. Pay the $10 to park and walk through the grounds and the hotel. There was no one at the booth to take any money when we left at 10:00 AM (on Sunday), so you might not even have to pay to park. Signs inside the hotel say you can only go upstairs if you're a registered guest, but it doesn't matter. Go explore, but I wouldn't recommend staying there. Beds were too soft, air-conditioning too loud, and you don't want anything to break or you'll be paying to fix it.

Room tip: Room 217-most haunted supposedly. Room 401 another haunted room. If you're into that.
1  Thank lovetodrive2018
Reviewed 19 July 2021

This is hard because it was concurrently more and less than I had hoped. Compared to other "attractions" we visited and the cost of those, the $10 it costs to park @ the Stanley is not bad.

But you go in hoping to see things you recognize from the movie. You can pay more to go on a tour if you want to see those things. Otherwise, you are limited to the entry vestibule, a hallway downstairs where the tour office is, jaw-droppingly overpriced gift shop, outside gardens, and a very new, very small maze that is nothing like the one in the movie. $15 for a little "217" door sign. For the $10 you pay to park, they give you a commemorative token that you can use as a $5 coupon in the gift shop. We decided the $10 coin and the pics we took were the best souvenirs for us.

Behind the building is a solid bunch of other buildings. There are some really nice restrooms. The parts one is allowed to see for just the price of parking are not enough to give a sense of scale of the building, if it is near the size it seems to be in the movie.

The grounds are beautifully landscaped, with a couple of water features, several areas for taking a "lovely stroll", various flowers and trees throughout.

We would have paid the tour price to be allowed to self-guide, but weren't convinced that we would feel fulfilled by a guided tour.

1  Thank Tiffany A
Reviewed 18 July 2021 via mobile

Had wanted to stay here for years, but was extremely disappointed. With what they're charging for rooms, one would think the place would be really nice - but, other than the public areas, it is not. I get that it's historic (we stayed in historic hotels our whole trip, and loved every other one). I also understand that the tours make them money, with basically no overhead - and I'm assuming that's why their emphasis seems to be on tours (one leaves every 20 minutes) rather than paying hotel guests. The room was kind of clean (there was a towel and a comforter on the floor of the closet) and kind of comfortable (lumpy bed) - but it was small and no frills. The portable AC was loud, and not fitted to the window. There is no valet, so get ready to drag your luggage through tour groups. This place COULD be amazing. It's just not.

Trip type: Travelled with family