“My Car was vandalized at their motel, Owners could care less!”
Review of Copper Cactus Inn

Copper Cactus Inn
Ranked #111 of 129 Hotels in Tucson
Reviewed 23 October 2017

My car was badly vandalized after having spent the night at this motel. My daughter went to the Management Office and wanted to see if there were any witnesses to this crime. She spoke with owners who were not only unwilling to help but unconcerned for their safety and the fact that my car could not be driven. While spending approx 4 1/2 hours attempting to get my vehicle and kids to nearest repair shop safely (while being 3 hours away) My daughter told them that we were waiting on insurance and repair-shops return calls to get vehicle towed. Owner DID NOT CARE and INSISTED they would INSTEAD be charging them for another nights stay if they were I minute past their check out time. VERY UNCARING, UNPROFESSIONAL business strategy. PLEASE DO NOT DO BUSINESS HERE!

• Stayed: October 2017, travelled as a couple
1  Thank fsudragonfly

Reviewed 22 October 2017 via mobile

Booked on line and photo's looked great. Arrived and the place was run down. Front door hanging on just. Bed linen filthy and bed full of hair and stains ( would not have let my dog sleep in the bed) avoid at all costs as this place is a total tip. Could not sleep here so left and found another hotel. This is a pure dump.

Stayed: October 2017, travelled as a couple
1  Thank 690alan
Reviewed 22 August 2017

Truth be told, there isn't much of a difference between a $100/night hotel and a $125/night hotel. You might get a few more modern amenities or a slightly better location.

But take that same 25% difference and apply it to a $50 hotel vs. a $40 one? Hooboy.

Rooms in nice chain hotels around Tucson can regularly be had for $50 and change. Do that, friend. Book one of them instead. It's worth it.

The Copper Cactus exudes not what I (or anyone else) would call "charm." "Charm" is the wrong word for it, though it is authentic -- if that's what you're into. It's an American original: A motorcourt hotel from the 30's or so. Over the last 80 years, I'm sure there were opportunities to modernize it a bit, and in a way that didn't involve stapling extension cords to walls. Those opportunities were missed. Now, we see 80 years of deferred maintenance and half-hearted attempts to stay on travellers' radar screens through the decades.

The room I rented wasn't that dirty, and it had only a mild musty odor. I'll give the CC that much credit. The wifi connected quickly and worked well. I didn't notice any bugs -- though I was careful to ditch the bedspread (complete with cig burns in what was supposed to be a non-smoking room) on the floor before reclining for my fitful few hours of sleep serenaded by a barely-working AC unit. But beyond this faint praise, there isn't much to recommend it.

The service? I can sum it up by recounting a small argument with the clerk at check-in. Booking.com had told me $40 total when I made the reservation. The guy at first insisted it was really $45.

This is not a $45 hotel. It's barely a $40 hotel. He relented after a while.

My work frequently takes me to Tucson, and I need to pay for my rooms out-of-pocket. This experience once again drove home the wisdom of "pennywise and pound foolish." I tell myself I won't make that mistake again, and I won't. Until I do.

If you've got even a little more money to spend on accommodation, spend it. You probably can afford the $10 for the Red Roof Inn or whatever.

Room Tip: Choose another hotel.
  • Stayed: August 2017, travelled on business
1  Thank Bill L
Reviewed 1 November 2016 via mobile

Swimming pool,sun...basic room. Friendly owners originally from Ahmedabad,India. Good wifi connecton. Fun to walk downtown in the evening for nice food. Many places to eat in. Different kinds of food options available.

Stayed: October 2016, travelled solo
Reviewed 28 February 2016

I reserved what this motel laughingly refoers to as the "double room," so called not because of the size, but the fact that it has 2 beds. When I got there to take the room they told me they had none of the room type I had requested as they had reserved them for those who simply drive up as they pay more for the rooms and that I would have to take a requalr queen size room (even smaller) with only a single queen bed. For this smaller room they then charged me the SAME amount as the larger room I had reserved. I then complained as to this "bait and switch" method and that I would call the police if I didn't get the room I reserved and that they had cahrged me for. Finally they "found a room" like the one I had ordered. Don't trust these people, they will cheat you in a heart beat. Also, once in the room I found that the heater/cooler combo did not work, so my wife and I spent a cold night there. Additionaly the shower head was so low it actually came to the middle of my chest, making showers nearly impossible.

Room Tip: don't let them put you in the rooms along the east side, Impossible to park there and the rooms...
  • Stayed: February 2016, travelled as a couple