“Beware: They'll Cancel Your Reservation, Blame it on Hilton and Couldn't Care Less”

Hampton Inn and Suites Tucson-Mall
Ranked #25 of 129 Hotels in Tucson
Reviewed 17 October 2017

I was very much looking forward to my stay at this Hampton, when I received a phone call the morning of check-in advising my credit card had expired and they needed an updated card before 2:00 p.m. local time or my reservation would be cancelled. Fair enough. I returned the call at 11:00 a.m. local time, spoke to a young man and gave him my updated card, and he issued me a new confirmation number to my email. All set, or so I thought.

When i went to do the e-check in on the Hilton Honors app, it showed my reservation as both booked and cancelled. Confused, I rang the hotel and the gentleman who answered informed me indeed the reservation was cancelled because I didn't call back by the 2 p.m. deadline. Hold on I said, I did and here's my new confirmation number. He said when I called I apparently got linked to Hilton central reservations, which has nothing to do with this Hampton's reservations, and Hilton reservations doesn't communicate with their hotel.

It would have been very helpful on the recorded message when you ring 520-618-8000 if they had made it very clear you are NOT speaking to the Hampton Inn - however it said nothing of the sort, and the gentleman who I spoke to never advised he wasn't a staff member at this Hampton Inn.

What really agrevated me about this was the man who I spoke with at the Hampton front desk wasn't the least bit concerned and kept trying to rush me off the phone and transfer me back to Hilton central. "Sorry we're sold out and so are all the other Hamptons in Tucson tonight so you need to speak to Hilton reservations" he repeated several times as I tried to understand how this Hampton didn't communicate with it's parent company at all. Of course, when he transferred me all I got was a runaround - press 1 or 2 or 3 and figure out who to speak with, then when I did get a hold of someone they told me they couldn't help and I had to take the matter up with the hotel directly.

Not only was this a major fail on the part of Hampton Inn and Suites Tucson Mall, but their customer service needs to be a little more understanding and helpful, and the hotel needs to make it extremely clear when you call their local phone number that you may in fact not ever speak with anyone working at the hotel.

Unfortunately they've lost a good customer, a HH Gold member, and have summarily tarnished the Hampton Inn image and brand through this interaction and complete screw-up in the handling of this.

Room Tip: Don't book here or your reservation will automatically be cancelled without you ever knowing it...
  • Stayed: October 2017, travelled on business
Susan D, Front Office Manager at Hampton Inn and Suites Tucson-Mall, responded to this reviewResponded 18 October 2017

I am sorry that your reservation got cancelled. As a hotel policy on sold out nights we have to confirm at the local Hotel all Credit cards. As we had not heard from you at 2 pm the cancellation had to be cancelled. Our front end Agent informed us that the call had been made to you to call before 2pm. I hope you will consider us again and give us another chance.

Reviewed 16 October 2017

Everything was really good except not having a refrigerator! I think every room should have them so people like me can store cold things. I travel a lot and I do not want to eat out all the time nor always have to make a store run.

• Stayed: October 2017, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with Hampton

Thank you for staying with us at the Hampton Inn and Suites Tucson Mall. I am sorry you did not have a room with an refrigerator. As of right now only our Suites accommodate refrigerators. We do hope in the near future to be able to have refrigerators in all rooms.

Reviewed 9 October 2017

The suites were a very nice size and the hotel was clean. The breakfast wasn’t the best but it did feed the kids. I enjoyed the coffee and tea in the lobby at all times that was a nice overall touch to the stay.

• Stayed: October 2017, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Hampton
Susan D, Manager at Hampton Inn and Suites Tucson-Mall, responded to this reviewResponded 11 October 2017

Thank you for your stay at the Hampton Inn and Suites Tucson Mall. We enjoyed having you.

Reviewed 5 October 2017 via mobile

Great location, clean, friendly staff great bed. Breakfast was enjoyable. We took two apples to snack on during our ride. The exterior was also clean and we felt comfortable leaving our car with most of our belongings in view. The staff was friendly at check on we were given a choice of what floor we would like to stay on. We liked that the ice maker was close by also. I would highly recommend staying at this location. The lobby was also welcoming and sitting in it as apposed to in your suite was nice too!

Stayed: September 2017, travelled as a couple
Susan D, Front Office Manager at Hampton Inn and Suites Tucson-Mall, responded to this reviewResponded 6 October 2017

Reviewed 27 September 2017

The room reserved-2 queen beds-was not available first night of 5 night stay. Staff had us check out after first night and reregister for next 4 nights in a 2 queen room as originally reserved. Thus we received 2 bills for our stay We were charged $50 more than the reservation which we discovered after we left Tucson. Very disappointed!

• Stayed: September 2017, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Hampton
Susan D, Front Office Manager at Hampton Inn and Suites Tucson-Mall, responded to this reviewResponded 28 September 2017

Thank you for your stay at the Hampton Inn and Suites Tucson Mall. I am sorry for the billing error. I have credited back the 50.00 of overpayment to your account. Thank you for brining this to my attention.