“Good food, not the greatest service”
Review of Koto Grill

Koto Grill
Ranked #69 of 225 Restaurants in Salem
Cuisines: Sushi, Japanese, Bar
Reviewed 5 February 2016 via mobile

Much improved from our last visit! I dined with 3 others and we all agreed that the food was good, but the service was pretty horrible. Our waitress did not know the menu and could not answer questions about different items. We started with the crab rangoon appetizer ($6.95),which was pretty tasty, although pretty standard for a crab rangoon. A bottle of wine was shared with the table and very reasonably priced ($26) for a bottle of cabernet sauvignon. There is a large selection of mixed drinks also on the menu. I ordered the Nabeyaki Udon ($14.95), which was a large bowl of udon noodles in a chicken broth with chicken, shrimp, a soft boiled egg and some vegetables. This was very very tasty. My husband ordered the Sake sashimi ($6.50) and Maguro Sashimi ($6.50), which came as three large pieces- nice and fresh. He also ordered the shrimp tempura roll ($8.50) which was good, and not much different than what would be expected for a shrimp tempura roll. My other friends enjoyed their appetizers and sushi rolls, and everything was served correctly even with the large amount of food we ordered. The service was atrocious throughout our meal, as I went without my water being refilled for about 20 minutes during our meal, without our server in sight. However, the owner did check on us a few times and brought us two desserts on the house, which is why I rated Koto as a 4 star. Koto's sushi is fresh and the food is good. The new floors give it a cleaner look...but the service needs work. We were here on a Tuesday night and they had an open mic night, which was entertaining. The restaurant was solidly packed, not an empty table which is pretty impressive for a Tuesday night. I'll be back, and hopefully will have a better server!

Reviewed 1 November 2015

My husband and I ate here recently and the food was very good. We mostly do Chinese when it comes to Asian food, like most people but we decided to try something different this time. Everyone should really try this place. You won't be disappointed. It is a small place and there was live music. We went there when it had just opened. Not sure I remember exactly when that was as we eat out and do take out quite regularly. The wait staff is wonderful.

1  Thank Kathy B
Reviewed 18 October 2015

Kid friendly. Great price point. Easy to seat a large group (we were 9), even on a crazy October weekend. The service was slow, but the food was good. Great lunch specials for under $10 per person.

Reviewed 27 September 2015 via mobile

My husband and I went on a Sunday evening and ordered off of the half price sushi menu. All sushi and sashimi ordered was very good quality and absolutely delicious. We ordered more food than usual so we could sample a variety. The chefs were so kind. The service is why I cannot give a 5 star. My husband ordered a soda and I ordered a water. The waitress was quick and courteous, however when I asked for the bill she informed me I have to order a drink other than water to get the sushi 1/2 price. Had I been aware of that from the beginning it would not have been a problem. So I ordered a soda I did not get to finish bc she brought it with the bill. Other than that hiccup- a great find in Salem and we will be returning- just make sure to read the fine print on all specials!!!

Reviewed 14 September 2015

Authentic food with a wide variety of choices. And large portions! Very fresh seafood.We ordered the Lo Mein noodles, a Scorpion roll, a king crab roll and some other monstrous delight.

Been to Koto Grill? Share your experiences!