“Pleasant tour”
Review of Steves Homestead

Steves Homestead
Ranked #71 of 271 things to do in San Antonio
More attraction details
Owner description: Take the docent-led tour of this Victorian mansion for a reconstructed take on the lifestyle of rich and famous San Antonio personalities in the late 1800s.
Reviewed 29 September 2017

This house is in the interesting King William district, across from the Guenther House mill and restaurant. I did a self-guided tour, but a docent was there to answer questions. The rooms are well maintained and really gave you the feeling of the family living there, especially the woman of the house. Right behind is the Riverwalk and you can walk or bike back to downtown.

All reviews
"self guided tour"
in 14 reviews
"the king william district"
in 7 reviews
"the river"
"mansion"
in 9 reviews

Reviewed 19 September 2017

-Steves Homestead – Edward Steves was a German who came to San Antonio and became a city alderman and ran a successful lumber company from 1866 to 1877, when this house was built for $15,000. He died in his 50s and his wife Johanna lived her for 30 more years with their youngest son, and they gave the two older sons neighboring mansions. I was told I was getting a discounted self guided tour for $5 because the second floor was closed, but I met Randy inside. Turns out, he’s the President of the local Conservation group and gave me a personal tour of the whole place including the third floor ballroom, now used for storage. Amazing view down the stairwell from the 3rd story. He knew many personal details of the family, said Johanna died of a broken heart a month after her youngest son died. It was great that I was free to wander around and take pictures as long as I wanted. The house is full of their personal effects. Carved boxwood shrubs in front, shading trees on lot. I also picked up the guide for the mansions walking tour here.

Reviewed 15 September 2017

This was a visit that my wife and I said we normally would have been done and gone in 10 minutes except for the tour guide. I don't know if Steve works every day, but if he's not there, it may be worth asking when he will be there and come back then.

The house is nice, but it's really just an old house. However Steve gave such an interesting dialogue about every room in the house that we felt sad when it was over. We were told the upstairs was closed due to renovations, but Steve took us up there anyway. The pool area was marked as closed, but Steve took us not only inside to show us that it had a floor installed over it, but also took us beneath the floor to show us what the pool looked like without water. Steve gave us a history of the Steves family and pointed out the other houses the family owned in the neighborhood.

We were there for an hour and this was a great visit.

Thanks Steve!

Reviewed 29 August 2017

Driving around the historic houses in this neighborhood is pretty cool . A lot of the houses are for sale for big money but what a great area.

See more reviews
Reviewed 23 June 2017

We showed up on one of the hottest days of the year and were certain that no one would be around, until Randy called to us walking around the back yard. He happily opened the already locked up exhibits and even offered us bottled water. After walking into the house he talked about the Steves family like he knew them personally.

The house is absolutely wonderful with impeccable workmanship and fascinating history. It is not like anything else we have seen previously. Although the home is now fully air conditioned, it was very easy to get a real sense of what it was like to live there. After viewing the home we want to visit every other home on the block and learn as much about the history of the King William district as possible.

The best part of the tour was Randy. Go see him and say hi.