“Great House Tour!! ”
Review of Steves Homestead

Steves Homestead
Ranked #71 of 271 things to do in San Antonio
More attraction details
Owner description: Take the docent-led tour of this Victorian mansion for a reconstructed take on the lifestyle of rich and famous San Antonio personalities in the late 1800s.
Reviewed 11 November 2017 via mobile

My husband and I have gone on a lot of old house tours and this one was definitely near the top of the list. We paid $5 per person (goes toward conservation and upkeep of the home) for the “self-guided” tour, which was a very fair price for what we received. We figured we would be on our own, but there was a docent onsite who ended up giving us a complete “behind the scenes” type experience. Randy was excellent! Awesome, laidback dude with a ton of knowledge about the house and the family who lived there. He took us in to see the old natatorium space, then took us through the house sharing bits of info here and there about the family, rooms, and original heirlooms. He even brought us up to the upper levels, which were closed for restoration work, to see the bedrooms and the attic space where we poked around some antique furnishings and frames (one girl in our group found an old telegraph the family received about a man being stabbed and killed). We loved every minute and would highly recommend this to anyone looking for a cool dose of Texas history.

Reviewed 11 October 2017

This home is one of the best--if not the best! But, it helps to have guided tour...they didn't have them when I arrived. I like this tour because it covers history, history of the family (still in business) and has heirlooms from the family. The garden area is nice and the whole experience is the best compared to other historic homes which do not include the architecture and often only have period pieces--not family heirlooms!

Reviewed 29 September 2017

This house is in the interesting King William district, across from the Guenther House mill and restaurant. I did a self-guided tour, but a docent was there to answer questions. The rooms are well maintained and really gave you the feeling of the family living there, especially the woman of the house. Right behind is the Riverwalk and you can walk or bike back to downtown.

Reviewed 19 September 2017

-Steves Homestead – Edward Steves was a German who came to San Antonio and became a city alderman and ran a successful lumber company from 1866 to 1877, when this house was built for $15,000. He died in his 50s and his wife Johanna lived her for 30 more years with their youngest son, and they gave the two older sons neighboring mansions. I was told I was getting a discounted self guided tour for $5 because the second floor was closed, but I met Randy inside. Turns out, he’s the President of the local Conservation group and gave me a personal tour of the whole place including the third floor ballroom, now used for storage. Amazing view down the stairwell from the 3rd story. He knew many personal details of the family, said Johanna died of a broken heart a month after her youngest son died. It was great that I was free to wander around and take pictures as long as I wanted. The house is full of their personal effects. Carved boxwood shrubs in front, shading trees on lot. I also picked up the guide for the mansions walking tour here.

Reviewed 15 September 2017

This was a visit that my wife and I said we normally would have been done and gone in 10 minutes except for the tour guide. I don't know if Steve works every day, but if he's not there, it may be worth asking when he will be there and come back then.

The house is nice, but it's really just an old house. However Steve gave such an interesting dialogue about every room in the house that we felt sad when it was over. We were told the upstairs was closed due to renovations, but Steve took us up there anyway. The pool area was marked as closed, but Steve took us not only inside to show us that it had a floor installed over it, but also took us beneath the floor to show us what the pool looked like without water. Steve gave us a history of the Steves family and pointed out the other houses the family owned in the neighborhood.

We were there for an hour and this was a great visit.

Thanks Steve!