“Decent Hotel, but Some Room for Improvement”

SpringHill Suites San Antonio Airport
Ranked #161 of 357 Hotels in San Antonio
Reviewed 21 October 2017

I am a Marriott Lifetime Platinum so I have spent a lot of time in Marriott brand hotels. I always prefer Springhill Suites (SS) properties when they fit my budget.

The rooms are big and comfortable. If you have stayed in a SS before it will look very familiar. The sofa and ottoman I think were West Elm which was a nice distinction from other SS hotels. The bed was very nice. I especially appreciate the TV setup with the external connections and power connection right there on the front. I travel with a media player that I hook up to the hotel room televisions. Many hotels make this extremely difficult or impossible. This was the easiest setup I have come across.

Travelers today really desire USB connections to charge our accessories or an alternative on plenty of power outlets. This room had both. There was power at the desk and the desk lamp and the bedside lamp have USB plugs in them. Very nice touch.

The lobby is a very nice step up from the usual SS setup. I always liked the normal SS lobby but this was a little bit nicer. The morning breakfast is very typical. There were plenty of choices. One suggestion for them would be to offer turkey sausage as an alternative. Some hotels offer both. But overall I liked the breakfast.

The location is REALLY convenient to the airport and the car rental return is just across the street. I found plenty of good places to eat in the area. You might find the proximity to the airport to be a little concerning. The property is on the approach to the runway so you will hear planes taking off and landing. I heard a plane landing every now and then in the evening so either the airport isn't that busy or I tuned it out because it really wasn't an issue. I did hear a plane landing at about 5:30AM one or two mornings. But again, it wasn't that big of a deal to me.

Now there were a few issues too. Here are some less than stellar things I noted in my recent stay.

My room was clean. The lobby, the lobby bathroom, and the hallways all appear to be well cleaned. The only housekeeping issue I ran into was that they would take my bath mat and not replace it. I was there five nights and this happened on two occasions. I ended up using a full size bath towel on the floor outside the shower.

Maintenance issue #1. My shower door did not close. It held open about 1-2 inches. I would try to hold the door closed with one hand while washing with another. This is why the bath mat was so important to me.

Maintenance issue #2.The controls for the HVAC did not function. Fortunately, it was just right for my preferences. On my first day upon walking into the room I usually crank up the AC as the rooms are usually too warm for my preference. I tried to operate the panel but the screen appeared dead. But, in the end, the temperature ended up being fine. Others might find it too cold though.

Couple issues I had in the morning breakfast area. I found the breakfast to be just fine. I thought the food was delicious. But, one morning all the televisions were tuned to Charmed and Married with Children. There were no remotes to change the channels. Usually we want to see Sports Center or national news like CNN in the morning. It was kind of comical. One morning I noticed no glassware for the water and juice. I used a coffee cup from the coffee stand. Which was actually better since it was larger. Another morning there were no napkins. Which again, I was able to get at the coffee stand. Now, on those two mornings when there weren't cups or napkins I was one of the first 5-6 people eating breakfast. It was shortly after 6:30 AM so they were still sort of getting ready. But by the time I left at nearly 7:00 AM they still didn't have those items out.

Room Tip: Get a room opposite the airport
  • Stayed: October 2017, travelled on business
1  Thank Brett A
Tiffany R, General Manager at SpringHill Suites San Antonio Airport, responded to this reviewResponded 10 November 2017

Dear Brett A,

Thank you for your valuable feedback. Please accept my apologies for not meeting your expectations. I will make sure to review the items you mentioned with the appropriate departments to ensure they are isolated issues and taken care of. I hope you will come back and see us on your next trip to San Antonio. We would love the opportunity to provide you with an awesome experience!

Reviewed 21 October 2017

This location is directly across from the airport. In the early morning 6-9 am and late evening 8-12 midnight, airplanes fly over the hotel as they head to land at the airport. It sounds like they are so close that they are going to crash into the hotel but I'm happy that none did during my stay and I pray for the same in the future. So, DON'T stay here if you are paranoid about planes being too close, flying over your hotel, or have PTSD where this may trigger your symptoms. I stayed at the SpringHill Suites San Antonio Airport for 13 nights. I was in San Antonio for 2 weeks because my mother was in the hospital. Everyday in the hotel was a different experience when I returned to the hotel in the late evening hours between 10 pm - midnight. For some reason, something wasn't done - my room wasn't cleaned, the trashed wasn't taken out, the towels were removed from my room but no replacement towels were left in the room, the shower and sinks were not cleaned. I had to leave notes for the room service personnel but sometimes they either didn't come in the room to see the note or they didn't comply with my request. So, not only was I under a lot of stress because my mother was very sick in the hospital but then I had to go back to my room in the midnight hours to deal with the disfunction in my room or to call the front desk and request for them to bring me towels, linen, hair dryer, or soap. Upon check-in, there was food in the refrigerator from the previous guests. One day, the TV was missing - so, the front desk attendant brought one up at about midnight. I had to request a hair dryer 3 times before they brought me a hair dryer that WORKED and that was only AFTER they told me that they didn't have anymore available and I told them that they needed to get a working hair dryer from an empty room because the hotel webpage states that hair dryers are available for customers and that was the reason that I had not brought one with me. They eventually brought one up after I had left for the day with wet hair. The shower room lights are dim and terrible for putting make-up on. The mirrors in the bathroom (separate from shower) are very small and almost useless - good luck if you want to put make-up on in there. The mirrors are probably about 12 inches wide and placed in the corner along with a corner sink. The sitting and desk area is nice and functional. The breakfast buffet does not deserve raving reviews - I skipped breakfast there - due to very limited options. The outdoor furniture is very worn and beat-up. Overall, I couldn't believe that Marriott has lowered their standards and customer support. I will not stay at this location again.

• Stayed: October 2017, travelled solo
Tiffany R, General Manager at SpringHill Suites San Antonio Airport, responded to this reviewResponded 23 October 2017

Dear Smiley T,

Thank you for your feedback. Our hotel is the SpringHill Suites Airport location and as such we are the closest hotel to the airport. The noise of the planes is to be expected based on our location. I apologize that we did not meet your expectations. I would have loved to have spoken with you during your 13 day stay at our hotel. Please reach out to me to discuss your experience further. Again, thank you for letting us know about your stay.

Reviewed 2 October 2017

The room was cozy, breakfast could be improved maybe a quality check on the food bacon was hard & the eggs were soggy but at least the coffee & quiet lobby made up for it

one of the best features of the hotel i would say would be the guy in the evenings he was always ready to help from printing things (since the printer was down in the business center) to faxing & having all my questions answered, he even gave me an uber code for a free ride when there courtesy shuttle wouldn't take me where i needed to go since the shuttle only goes in a three mile radius

• Stayed: September 2017, travelled on business
1  Thank passingbyjohn
Tiffany R, General Manager at SpringHill Suites San Antonio Airport, responded to this reviewResponded 3 October 2017

Dear passingbyjohn,

Thank you for providing us with feedback regarding your stay. I will review your feedback with the appropriate departments and make sure to pass on the positive comments to the staff. We appreciate you staying with us and hope to see you the next time your travels bring to San Antonio.

Reviewed 17 September 2017

the room and the bathroom were great. Good breakfast included in the room price

jim at the front desk was professional & always eager to help

it was really awesome that this hotel has a courtesy shuttle
fernando our driver was not only awesome! but extremely informative

will come back again

• Stayed: September 2017, travelled solo
2  Thank kipytu
Tiffany R, General Manager at SpringHill Suites San Antonio Airport, responded to this reviewResponded 19 September 2017

Dear kipytu,

Thank you so much for your fantastic review of our hotel. The whole team here at the SpringHill Suites by Marriott San Antonio Airport strive to provide our guests with outstanding hotel stays and we are pleased that we did that for you. I will pass along your great compliments to both Jim and Fernando. We look forward to seeing you on your next San Antonio visit.

Reviewed 13 September 2017

I've stayed at this property for the past several months with work. Jimmy at the desk in the evenings is GREAT! Friendly and I can always know that when I ask for something it's done, no worries. Never missed getting my dry cleaning back on time.. always makes sure I'm near the elevator like I prefer. Even last minute changes are no big deal.

Keep up the good work Jimmy!

• Stayed: September 2017, travelled on business
2  Thank gtrewjr
Tiffany R, General Manager at SpringHill Suites San Antonio Airport, responded to this reviewResponded 15 September 2017

Thank you so much for your great feedback! I am very glad that Jimmy takes such awesome care of you during your stays with us. I will make sure to share your wonderful compliments with him. We strive to provide our guests with a fantastic stay and am pleased that we do so for you. We look forward to seeing you on your next visit!