“Disappointing Service/ Great food ”

Houston Street Bistro
Ranked #118 of 4,782 Restaurants in San Antonio
Good for: Special Occasion Dining, Business meetings, Bar Scene, Romantic
Dining options: After-hours, Lunch, Dinner, Delivery, Reservations
Neighbourhood: Downtown
Reviewed 22 May 2017 via mobile

This place was right across the street from the hotel we were staying at. Super convenient.

My wife and I got a seat on their patio next to the sidewalk and Houston Street. It was noisy but good for people watching Our waitress came by and said she would take our drink order. We ordered one water and one iced tea. She didn't come back for at least 15 minutes. When she did, no drinks. We ordered dinner and the water and tea came with the salads.

I had salmon and my wife had beef short ribs. Both meals were delicious. Our waitress was rarely seen. After we ordered, someone else brought our food. She came back to offer desert and to drop off the bill.

So here is something weird. The bill was $68. I gave her my credit card and it came back with an $82 charge. I asked and they took the bill back and removed the extra. Apparently I had been charged for someone else's bill. It took another 10 minutes to get it straightened out.

I think this would be a better place if they would have more wait staff. Our server was obviously overwhelmed to the point where we only saw her 3 times, she was very frazzled, and we spent an extra 45 minutes just sitting there waiting for things.

Reviewed 18 May 2017 via mobile

Enjoyed a great dinner and bottle of wine before a show at the Majestic Theatre. It right next door, so it's the perfect place for a pre show meal. The service was top notch and the chicken marsala was very good. Not the best I've ever had, but enjoyed it very much. Excellent bread.

Reviewed 17 May 2017 via mobile

I have been here several times before various plays as it is near all 3 theaters. They have a 3 course pre-fixe which is more than you can eat. They make every effort to get you served promptly (gets crowded and hectic) so you are not late to the play. Food is consistently good. Love their bread too. They gave inside and outside seating.

Reviewed 4 May 2017 via mobile

Tried this place as it was easy access to the Majestic. Make your reservations early; you have to call them. First appearance, quaint. We were taken to the far back and the quaint ambiance disappeared. Carpet stained, no air, and in serious need of painting​. Now the good....service excellent. Chicken Marsala superb. Risotto overcooked. Spinach soggy. Definitely would give another chance.

Reviewed 3 May 2017 via mobile

My wife and I had dinner while in San Antonio. Food and service were excellent. I had the chicken marsala - very good. Among the best I've tasted. Also a good wine selection. Would definitely go again when in San Antonio.