“Big Portions!”

Good for: Groups, Child-friendly
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Outdoor Seating
Neighbourhood: Far North Central
Reviewed 4 November 2017 via mobile

Ordered the Angus burger along with half onion rings and half tater tots. Saw the chicken fried steak and decided it was waaay to big for me to eat. Well, it turned out the burger was huge and the tater tots and onion rings were also more than I could eat. Comfort food on a budget!

Reviewed 23 September 2017

My wife and I had dinner at the Longhorn Café Friday (Sep. 22) evening. The last time I posted a review for this establishment was back in 2011. Since then, I have eaten here on a number of occasions. Having read a number of the more recent postings, I would like to make a few observations.

Someone complained about how dirty the Longhorn was. In either June or July of this year (I don’t recall which), the health inspectors examined their facility and they were given a score of A/97 (100 is a perfect score.) Granted, it may not present the appearance of a 5-star restaurant, it is nevertheless clean and meets the very high standards of the San Antonio Health Department.

When we arrived at approximately, 6:50 pm, there was a line back to the door. Needless to say, we were at the back of the line, however, it only took a few minutes to reach the order station. Considering what we ordered and the number of clientele being served, our order was ready for pickup within 15 minutes, which was very good.

Our visit lasted for about an hour and the entire time we were there, the line extended to the door. When we left, the line was out into the parking lot. This is a very popular place to eat.

And speaking of eating, hamburgers and onion rings are not their only expertise in food preparation. I had their chicken fried steak dinner with a corn on the cob, fries, and a dinner salad. Their steak was one of the best, I've had. It was large, hot, covered with copious amounts of gravy, and extremely tender. In fact, as one reviewer commented, I too was able to cut mine with a fork. Many “fast food” establishments only offer a half ear of corn. However, here you get a full ear and it was very good. The portion of fries was relatively large, hot, and fresh.

As for the salad, it was a typical garden salad. It was fresh and cold. While it was very good, I would consider just a tad bit overpriced. I doubt that I will order one in the future.

My wife had their chicken dinner with okra and mashed potatoes. The chicken was what I refer to as “a chicken with an attitude.” In other words, it was a little on the tough side. However, we have often purchased chicken from various grocery stores that was also tough so I won’t blame the Longhorn for that. The okra and potatoes were both great.

As we were eating, I couldn’t help but see the burgers and onion rings that others had ordered (and remembered those that I have eaten in the past.) Sometimes, I envy cows with two stomachs. I kept thinking, “so much good food and so small of a stomach to put it.” Oh well, there is always the next time.

One caveat in regards to my review – as I’ve mentioned in other reviews, everyone has different taste in food. What may be great for one may taste horrible to another and vice versa. Likewise, expense is also relative as is their expectations of ambiance. So, as you read not only this review but others as well, keep in mind that everyone’s taste is different.

I highly recommend the Longhorn Café for quality food and an enjoyable time of not being rushed to eat and leave. We will most definitely be going back.

Reviewed 9 September 2017

We went for lunch and the service was quick and prompt, the specials were well priced, but the food was just average - certainly nothing wrong, but nothing exceptional, either.

Reviewed 7 September 2017

Second time to dine at Longhorn Cafe this past Sunday. With a group of 8, everyone enjoyed their burgers ... fresh meat, well-grilled and juicy. Soft, toasted large buns, fresh veggies, burgers made as requested. One of our group ordered the Chicken Fried Steak with Mashed Potatoes -- loved it; tender meat, lots of crispy crust and tasty cream gravy. Hand-made Onion Rings fried just right. My Chili Cheese Burger was a bit of a disappointment. The chili was somewhat dry (I didn't even get any on my white shirt!) and I believe I saw tomato in it -- not Texas Chili this time. Still very tasty, however. So far so good, 4 stars. However, be warned: Forget about Dessert. We had it all. Brownies, Peach, Apple and Blueberry Cobbler; all with Ice Cream. The Brownies were so hard on the outside we absolutely could not force a spoon in them -- all of the adults tried. The cobblers were really more pie than cobbler, done in pastry cups about the size of a large muffin, without much fruit or flavor (more cinnamon, nutmeg, vanilla, SOMETHING needed to provide some flavor interest). A dip of ice cream for $1.49, well, not a dip, perhaps half of one. And, it took 25 minutes to get these winners. I repeat, forget the dessert and you' might even have have a 5 star experience!

Reviewed 29 August 2017

nothing special about the chili cheese burger I had ... I remember in the past tha the chili as a bowl was very good but it was August and too hot for Chili