“Reliable neighborhood favorite”

Good for: Child-friendly, Groups, Local cuisine
Dining options: After-hours, Lunch, Breakfast, Dinner, Outdoor Seating, Takeout
Neighbourhood: Arsenal
Reviewed 15 January 2017

Went here this week after a long time of not visiting. I wanted to verify my feeling that their hot sauce was the best in the city, as well as having one of the best breakfast plates in the city. We went for a late breakfast on a weekday, so it was not crowded at all. One of the only negatives was the lack of parking. Not a problem for those that live downtown, but for those of us that drive into town, we had to search around the block for parking. The restaurant itself was very clean. The decor was reflective of San Antonio's colorful heritage, what with its multi-colored walls and nicely displayed artwork. We were greeted quickly upon entering and received clean (important) menus. Tito's has a pretty large breakfast menu, including several signature breakfast tacos and plates. My husband had a chilaquiles taco and the Niles Favorite taco. He thought the chilaquiles was great - probably one of the best in the city. Filled with eggs, tomatoes, fresh jalapeños, chips, and cheese. The Niles Favorite was a signature combination taco with avocado, refried beans, cheese and bacon. This combination taco was better than one of the competitor's combination tacos, and cheaper. Both were on flour tortillas which appeared homemade and were just the right thickness and size. Thick enough to hold the ingredients without tearing, yet not so thick that it overwhelmed the taste of the ingredients. I had the Desayuno Plate, which is a bed of Mexican refried rice, topped with two over-easy eggs and sliced avocado. I'm not a vegetarian, but it is a great plate, and I would think a great choice for vegetarians. It had been years since I had this plate and I wanted to come back to make sure it was as good as I remembered. And, yes it was as good as I remembered. The only addition needed for me was a slight bit of salt and some of their wonderful salsa. The plate is very filling - a great bargain for the price. And the salsa is also what I feel is the best in the city: a good consistency and good heat level, made of quality ingredients. I had corn tortillas with my plate. Again excellent tortillas that seemed homemade - thick pillow like tortillas. The only other slightly negative was their bathrooms. The appearance is a bit dirty, although that might be because it is an old building since several other restaurants downtown have the same issue. As a plus, our waiter was responsive and professional. All in all, Tito's is a reliable favorite downtown restaurant. Can't wait to try it for lunch, happy hour, or dinner.

Date of visit: January 2017
1  Thank Jennifer M

Reviewed 13 January 2017 via mobile

Super friendly service, and really nice food. The waiter gave us a great suggestion and the food came out really fast, fresh and delicious.

Date of visit: January 2017
Reviewed 28 December 2016

We live in the area and usually go there for breakfast. The breakfast tacos are great. I have been there for lunch a few times, as well. People visiting for the first time are always pleased. The prices are affordable, as well.

Date of visit: November 2016
Reviewed 11 December 2016 via mobile

I stopped in here with a friend during a recent road trip. The atmosphere was lively, the staff polite and quick. The food was good - a great low key stop. They offered Mexican coke (which I love) and strawberry lemonade with fresh strawberries (which I loved).

Date of visit: December 2016
Reviewed 8 December 2016

We recently had an evening where we were to find our own dinner. After having had a couple of mediocre meals, I was in desperate need of a great Mexican meal (after going without for 6 weeks).
I read the multiple Yelp reviews of Tito's and looked it up on the map. Only .8 miles away from my location. I was in.
I walked down to it and enjoyed the neighborhood that it was in.
I sat myself and was given a menu fairly rapidly. I ordered an iced tea and was served that fairly quickly. The iced tea was the low point of the meal. Very weak, not great flavor.
I ordered the chicken guisado sopes. It came with rice and beans.
The rice and beans were great. I usually grade my Mexican restaurants by the quality of their rice and beans. Right to the top of the list.
My sopes were even better. They were super fresh corn cakes, exactly the right thickness for me. The chicken guisada couldn't have been prepared any better. The flavor was outstanding. The chicken was very moist and lots of it. Way more than I had anticipated. They were topped with crema, cilantro, and onions. The proportions of the toppings was spot on. It really tied everything together.
I can't wait to return to this spot in the future with my wife to share it with her. This will be my first stop in San Antonio in the future.

Date of visit: December 2016