“Enjoyed the room and location in downtown!”
Review of Menger Hotel

Menger Hotel
Ranked #21 of 357 Hotels in San Antonio
Reviewed 12 September 2011

A great time was had by all - family of four, kids 12 and 9! We stayed in a unique room - 2016 - the only room of its kind in the hotel - double bed price but was a 2 room adjoining rooms in the old part of the hotel - one bathroom - king and queen bed! Recommended by Larry in the hotel reservations group. We "hunted" for ghosts and enjoyed staying right next door to the Alamo - we also did the Ghost Tour, $10 for adults, and it was fun without too much cost! It was great to be close to the river - and our kids liked staying in an "ole timey" hotel - we read ghosts stories they gave us at check in. One let down was the "forced" bellhop service - the hotel does not let you push your baggage cart when you arrive or depart. And the valet charge of $25 is TOO much! Park down the street for 1/2 that and walk back to the hotel unless you just want to enjoy the luxury - I walked to valet pkg area to get something from the car and it was not in a protected area or closer than normal to the hotel. The pool area was nice but the hot tub was not working properly - the water was very hot and could not be turned down, and not all of the jets were working.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank sctexas
Write a ReviewReviews (2,622)

Reviewed 9 September 2011

perfect place to take your family and so close to every thing. and as i said in my opening -- I AM A VERY PICKY GAMMA!! if i go some where with my grandchildren it better be family friendly and safe,and this place is so much that and more. The staff was great,all you have to do is ask if you would like to know something about the surroundings,shops,etc. Dont let the riverwalk take away from all the attractions around the hotel--plus the hotel it self. We had passes to Sea World and my seven year old grandson wanted to stay at the hotel and the attractions around it. Very upset with the whole riverwalk, it was his birthday and not ONE--NOT ONE--would sing or tell him happy birthday, but they did at the hotel, and the Buckhorn rest.So,please dont forget the to check out all of the Hotel and the immediate surroundings.I am allready trying to plan for another trip with my grandson and we will not go to riverwal --we will be spending it in the HOTEL like he wants!!

Room Tip: we had one facing the front and it was just awsome!!
  • Stayed: May 2011, travelled with family
hectorvenegas, General Manager at Menger Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 12 September 2011

I truly appreciate you sharing your experiences with Trip Advisor and am pleased that the Historic Menger Hotel recognized your grandson's birthday and helped create a memorable celebration.

Your coments will be shared with the ladies and gentlemen of our staff as reinforcement of our committment to excellence.

We are pleased to learn that when you are able to return to San Antonio, you will once again choose the Historic Menger Hotel. We lood forward to your return.

Reviewed 5 September 2011

So I paid to get a "suite" which was a huge disappointment. When I arrived they placed me in a room that had two double beds and was about the size of your standard courtyard Marriott room. I was misled by the website which had picture of the luxurious spacious room which I found out when I called the from desk was not the case in every suite. My confirmation described the rooms as uniquely designed with King beds so I questioned whether this was even actually a suite. I find it hard to believe people would pay a "suite" price to have the room I had. The bathroom was tiny, the room was tiny and where the TV was placed made absolutely no logical sense as it could not be seen no matter where you were. Nothing like the picture they have on their website when you choose suite from the selections. Definitely not worth the money they are charging for it. The location is nice, the historical look and feel is pretty cool. Parking is steep at $25 per day, the food in the restaurant was mediocre and expensive. The pool was nice, the hotel lobby had a strange smell which I could not decide if it was the "old" smell or the smell of urine.... but I tried not to let that bother me.

Upon checking out they tried to overcharge me for my second night after we had been told the room rate would not change(If you ask me I was over charged to begin with). I really feel like the entire stay there was a jip...I can't imagine it would send them into the poor house to spring for a refrigerator for every room rather that charging $25 to rent them. I thought about complaining, but as I was standing in line the lady in front of me was having a conniption fit about being bumped from the specific room she had reserved for her anniversary it seemed her day was going much worse than mine. The poor girl receiving her wrath was clearly only the messenger so I decided not to burden her any further with the fact my room left a lot to be designed as it pertained to being called a suite. I will put it this way...last year I stayed in a suite at the best western and it was bigger than this room and had a jacuzzi and it was only $89.

All in all the place is a rip off...but it was a clean rip off I guess..

Room Tip: Call to request a specific room/
  • Stayed: September 2011, travelled with friends
hectorvenegas, General Manager at Menger Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 6 September 2011

I truly appreicate you taking teh time to express your concerns with Trip Advisor regarding your stay and deeply regret that your accommodations did not meet your expectionats. Please accept my sincerest apologies.

We strive to have all guests leave with fond memories of their stay here at the Historic Menger Hotel. We offer a variety of rooms and suites with different types of beds and spaces and regret the suite you expected was not available during your stay.

Once again, we appreciate your comments.

Reviewed 28 August 2011

I stayed here for six days. The Internet only worked on the first day. The facilities are OK but not great. Some of the staff are really good (one guy at the front desk was wonderful, and one person from the restaurant was absolutely charming) and others don't have their act together. What they charge is appropriate for what you get. I didn't get to try out the pool because I was too busy so that was a pity because it looked nice. The business center is expensive to use and to print things - I thought that was overpriced.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled on business
hectorvenegas, General Manager at Menger Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 30 August 2011

I would like to take this opportunity to thank you for taking the time to advise Trip Advisor about your recent experiences during your stay at teh Historic Menger Hotel and regret that we were not able to speak with you personally.

Your comments will be shared with the ladies and gentlement of our staff as reinforcement that we are committed to prviding our guests with excellence at all times.

Please accept my apologiy and thank you for bringing this to our attention. We hope when your travels bring you back to San Antonio, you will once again choose the Historic Menger Hotel.

Reviewed 26 August 2011

Our family stayed at the Menger Hotel while our son was competing in the Trampoline Nationals. While our room was a bit smaller than most, our window looked out on the grounds of the Alamo! In the evening, we could watch the horse carriages, which were lit up with colored lights, go by below our window. The building is old and has a lot of personality. There are beautiful features, from the lobby, the Tiffany glass dome in the old section, near the restaurant. My son learned that there are parts of the hotel where people have seen ghosts, so on our last evening, we got up at 2 AM to walk in the old section. While we did not see any ghosts, we did see other families doing the same thing!

One of our friends took the bus from the airport to the hotel -- it costs a little over a dollar instead of closer to $25 - 30 for a taxi ride. The Menger is just minutes from the River Walk and, in addition to the touristy stuff, there is a public bus ($4 a day pass) you can catch on Alamo Plaza that takes you to the Zoo, Art Museum, Witte Science Museum, and the Botanic Garden.

My son and I did have breakfast at the Hotel on our first day. It was pleasant enough, but somewhat costly, as most hotel restaurants are. We did find an inexpensive -- and delicious -- deli two blocks away near the River Walk.

The kids LOVED the pool! The weather in July was incredibly hot, so we tended to spend our free time near or in the pool. Some of the rooms not only faced the pool, but had access to the pool courtyard and this was a lot more convenient than making wet footprints on the main floor carpeting.

All in all, it was a great experience and lots of fun! We loved the history of the place -- from stories about the Alamo to Teddy Roosevelt and the Rough Riders! I'd come back! (Although my son and I might ask for a room in the old section next time...)

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with family
hectorvenegas, General Manager at Menger Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 29 August 2011

We truly appreciate you taking the time to share your experience of your stay at the Historic Menger Hotel with Trip Advisor.

The ladies and gentlemen of our staff will be pleased that our preservation efforts are recognized. Our heated swimming pool is a favorite of our guests year round and we glad that your family enjoyed it during our hot summer days.

Once again, thank you for your comments and we look forward to your return when your travels bring you back to San Antonio.