3,045 results
All reviewsmenger barteddy rooseveltcolonial roommango ice creamghost tourcolonial restauranthistorical hotelthe river walkrocking chairstexas historylots of historyalamo plazarooms are smallvalet parkingthe location is perfectconvention centerwater pressure
Reviewed 14 December 2011

Upon arrival at the hotel you will find the ambiance to be quaint and historic which is fine, the bathroom is clean and EXTREMELY well lit, rooms are rather small but will suffice, walls are extremely thin and can hear everything, carpet was not vacumed upon arrival but thought it was too late to make any complaints, the rooms do not have a central heating or cooling system and must rely on the temperature of the Lobby. Valet was EXCELLENT!

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled on business
1  Thank John L
hectorvenegas, General Manager at Menger Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 22 December 2011

Taking the time to share your comments to Trip Advisor provides us the opportunity to improve as our goal is to have every guest leave with fond memories of their stay.

I have addressed your concerns with the Mainencance and Housekeeping ladies and gentlemen to ensure that these will not occur in the future.

Thank you again for sharing your concerns and compliments and we hope when your travel plans include San Antonio, you will once again stay at the Historic Menger Hotel.

Best regards

Reviewed 13 December 2011

I read several reviews on this place and was a little worried when my Prcline bid was accepted by The Menger. After staying here for 3 nights, I can honestly say I don't know what the bad reviewers are talking about. Our stay was great. It's a perfect location and a beautiful old hotel. If you're looking for the Ritz, this ain't it. But if you want a clean room, a shower with hot water, and a prime location, you can't go wrong. The only complaint I would have is the lack of shelf space in the bathroom. Other than that, it was perfect. Our room overlooked the beautiful Alamo plaza, lit up for Christmas. Maybe my review is slanted by the fact that I spent about 60% of their normal roomrate with my Prcline bid! Either way, my wife and I agreed that we would stay here again in a minute.

Room Tip: Get a room at the front, overlooking Alamo Plaza.
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank buddha-becky
hectorvenegas, General Manager at Menger Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 15 December 2011

I appreciate you taking the time to share your delightful experience with Trip Advisor. Your comments will be shared with the ladies and gentlemen of our staff as our reinforcement of our commitment to excellence.

Once again, than you for your comments and we look forward to your return when your travels bring you back to San Antonio.

Best regards
General manager

Reviewed 13 December 2011

On the positive side, the lobby was beautiful specially the Christmas decorations, their interior designer did a great job, however, the rooms are small, walls thin. They provide a coffee maker but nowhere to plug it in, had to resort to the bathroom, which could have been updated, the floor tiles needed a scrub and there was some mould! The bed was comfortable and the location is good, opposite the Alamo. There is a great store in the lobby area, called 'King & Country' Its like a museum of toy soldiers, the detail was amazing. They missed an opportunity with this hotel, it could be really great given the history. Can't help but compare it with the Mena House, in Cairo from about the same era, they did a fantastic job of updating, plus the service was a 100% better.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled with friends
1  Thank Biggsy72

I truly appreciate you taking the time to share your experience with Trip Advisor. We regret that we were not able to personally address your concerns during your stay. Please accept my apologies for any discomfort you felt.

Also I would like to thank you for recognizing our efforts of historical preservation and our beautiful Christmas displays. We will share your comments with all the ladies and gentlemen of our staff as reinforcement of our commitment to excellence.

Best regards,

Reviewed 12 December 2011

I have stayed with my family on business here three times. This very historic hotel is quaint and very historic, at least the original part......then there is the larger part of the hotel. Walls are paper thin, I could hear conversations from room next door quite clearly. No individual thermostat for cooling or heating, and it was quite WARM, on the last time I visited. After 8PM, they turn off air conditioning in the hallways, especially in the wing we were in, built in the 1950's. Management was condescending, and did not make much of an effort to solve problems. For $ 120.00 a night, I expected MUCH more.

Room Tip: Stay in the original Hotel, NOWHERE ELSE!
  • Stayed: June 2011, travelled on business
1  Thank jacifus
Reviewed 12 December 2011

Very small rooms No refrigerators available in rooms either. Our room smelled very bad. Had to use perfume as air freshener !They need to purchase an ozone generator to get rid of odors!!!! Had toothpaste splattered on mirrors when we got there. location is great. I should of followed my instinct on past reviews others had wrote on this hotel. When they said small rooms and we need a frig too!!

• Stayed: October 2011
1  Thank kingfisher601

Thank you for taking the time to advise Trip Advisor about your stay. We are a historic property and our rooms vary in size. We have refrigerators available upon request at a small fee and apologize that this was not made available to you.

Your comments will be shared with the ladies and gentlement of our staff to prevent situations you described from occurring in the future.

Best regards,