“Bad food”

Price range: US$5 - US$22
Cuisines: Wine Bar
Good for: Bar Scene, Romantic
Dining options: Reservations
Description: A natural wood decor with live edge bars and tables in a 1891 vintage victorian house creating a rustic but refined feel. A wide selection of food styles created in our vegan kitchen creating great flavors in a variety of styles. Our foods are paired with a large selection of NW Beers and Washington Wines allowing tastes by the ounce, by the glass or by the bottle. Our dining areas are family friendly and our outside read are also pet friendly. Open 7 days a week and truly the best place to meet our interesting locals.
Reviewed 10 October 2018 via mobile

I am really not sure how his place is rated 5. We went there in the first week of Oct and were disappointed with all our food. I would give it one star if not for the nice and friendly (although clueless waiter - he had an accent). We ordered mac n cheese, pulled pork (vegan) taco and pizza. The Mac and cheese was worst than packaged food. The cheese had no flavour. The taco was tasty but so dense as it lacked anything to just cut the density of the vegan meat. Some onions or salads or anything to make it easier to eat. The pizza was horrendous. It was dry, burnt and tasteless. We had to return although we did our best to try and eat it. The waiter seemed a bit clueless. His initial reaction was to just say sorry for the bad pizza. Later he asked if we wanted to change it. We gladly told him w just want to return it. Overall the place had bad food. It was empty and we were the only customers as it was around closing time. Maybe the chef had already left? . Either way. I can’t see how they r 5 star rated.

NWTC, Owner at Mike's Cafe and Wine Bar, responded to this reviewResponded 10 October 2018

Well, I am sorry for your experience. It certainly is not the opinion of the 1000’s before you this year or the full restaurant last night when you arrived. Curiously, as one looks through the comments, the items you ordered are our most popular. Not everyone enjoys the same things. I hope your next restaurant is more pleasing for you.
Mike

Reviewed 3 October 2018 via mobile

We picked this restaurant not knowing it was totally vegan because we could not find a parking space in the downtown area and they had a parking lot. Noticed it was highly reviewed on TripAdvisor so we thought we'd give it a try. What a wonderful surprise it was! My husband did not even know his barbecue chicken pizza was totally vegan! I had eggplant soup, a veggie burger with a side salad and then we split a chocolate mousse pie. More than I would normally eat but it was the first meal of the day for me at 2:30 in the afternoon. Everything was delicious and the bonus was I was not hungry the rest of the day or even the next morning! Will be looking into more vegan menu items in the future

Reviewed 2 October 2018

I'm pretty much anti-vegan, but Mike's is an exception to the usual vegan restaurants. The food is creative and they pay attention to flavor and presentation, not just adherence to vegan principles. They also have good beer and wine at reasonable prices. It's one of my regular places in Friday Harbor.

Reviewed 27 September 2018 via mobile

When I went in to look at the menu, the place was finely lit...As I perused the menu,although I could not read the details, I saw the words Pork, Bacon, Pepperoni....The prices seemed very reasonable...especially for Friday Harbor. There were 4 filled-up tables for four and a few tables for two. It looked like there was no room for our party of four...Vut the owner had the waitress sit us in the back party room. So we sat down to order......To our GREAT surprise, everything was vegan....Not a bit of REAL cheese....No pepperoni, No real bacon....We laughed....Even the guys who like their beef practically raw.....We were hungry. It was late. We ordered two BLTA (Fake Bacon lettuce tomato and avacado)....for the ladies, A Pepperoni Pizza,for one guy and the stir fry portabello mushroom sesame noodle dish medium hot for the raw meat eater.... one glass of wine, 2 craft beers...Everything was quite good......and portions big enough that we wrapped up 1/2 of the pizza and 2. 1/2 BLTAs.....One disappointment was the owner will not serve coffee...It would have been really good with the chocolate truffle cake. Mike claims guests linger over coffee too long, and since he only has a few tables, he needs a quicker turnover.
If you want vegan, you will probably like Mike’s Cafe...

Reviewed 26 September 2018

Pleasantly surprised by the availability of vegan food at Friday Harbor and the food was exceptional!