“Started badly, progressed into awesome!”
Review of Bishop's Lodge

Cuisines: American
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed 15 January 2018

My view of this iconic Santa Fe attraction is not based on just one visit, rather multiple experiences there. I have stayed in this hotel, have dined and have had Sunday brunch multiple times.
One of those experiences at the Bishop’s Lodge was during a romantic weekend stay with my husband, in which we got the chance to stay in one of their bungalows/rooms. However, had it not been for my protests about the horrible room we had been given at first and my insistence that they change it, we would have left on the spot, for they had put us up in a horrible room that had much to envy a roadside motel room and did not match the level of luxury advertised. What really upset us was not just the unacceptable room, old, ugly, dark, unimpressive, but the money they charge for it. What nerve! Any roadside motel has better rooms. However, we were happy they were willing to upgrade us to a better room, and a better room it was for sure, and we were charged the same rate as the room we had left, so we appreciated that excellent customer service. The new room was wonderful! It was a private suite with a fireplace and a beautiful view of the NM desert and nature. OMG, it was perfect! One night, we just brought a bottle of wine and some finger foods to munch on and sat on the balcony to watch the sunset. Dreamy!
Where Bishop's Lodge is peerless is with the service they provide. I have nothing but praise for how well trained their staff is and how positive and friendly they are and how willing they are to do anything to please the customer. So, a big thank you to Bishop's Lodge for that outstanding level of care they provide.
The grounds are stunning! It feels wonderful walking around the gardens and exploring the old mansion, it's like stepping into a different era, into slice of New Mexico history. The old and gnarly cottonwoods, aspens and pines make this perfect place a joy to be in.
One of the things we enjoyed a lot is the time we spent at the pool. Great pool, awesome pool side service with a nice bar to order cocktails and all kinds of foods, we really loved it and appreciated the service. Their spa is also fantastic. We got a couples one-hour massage and it was absolutely perfect!
Sunday brunch is by far one of the best brunches we have ever had! I wish I had a photo to show you, but I didn't have a camera with me. The options they have are numerous! There are so many magnificent options, everything under the sun, attractively plated and presented. It doesn't matter what you get, it's all amazingly delicious. Their omelet station is the bomb, the fruit selections great, all kinds of pasties and baked goods, salmons, scrumptious hams and cheeses fro all over the world, vegetarian options, it's out of this world. Do Bishop's Lodge Sunday Brunch, I guarantee you will be impressed! We will definitely return.

2  Thank Conny N

Reviewed 30 October 2016

We keep waiting for this great lodge to reopen after its huge remodeling. It was wonderful before and exceptionally well located. We can't wait until it re-opens.

2  Thank MaryEllenM27
Reviewed 3 August 2016

This lodge is very lovely and an historic vacation choice. Hadn't read Death Comes for the Archbishop when I visited, but I have now read it. Having seen the place made the read more interesting.

1  Thank Luanne T
Reviewed 19 March 2016

This was once a five star luxury hotel. The rooms are huge with Kiva fireplaces. Bathrooms a bit dated. A little worn around the edges

1  Thank Lisa C
Reviewed 14 January 2016

This resort is under reconstruction. It is or was a cabin-oriented resort with horses, restaurants, conference facilities and was quite pleasant (although, like most such places built on hills, a little confusing to navigate). It has closed for extended renovation.

3  Thank Catosixtails