“Excellent Prime Rib, atmosphere”

Rio Chama Steakhouse
Ranked #81 of 605 Restaurants in Santa Fe
Price range: US$15 - US$35
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Neighbourhood: Downtown
Reviewed 24 September 2017

Enjoyed the prime rib with a nice glass of red wine. Ambience is wonderful. A great place for meeting others to celebrate a wonderful event.

Reviewed 21 September 2017 via mobile

The prime rib chama burger was amazing. The patty alone taste great. Paired it with a Caesar. Elegant, peaceful, quiet, romantic at night. Located in the heart of downtown Santa Fe. Heard this was the governors fave and I can attest she has great taste.

Reviewed 11 September 2017

Everytime we visit Santa Fe, we make sure that our last dinner is at Rio Chama. From the first time we ate there{ the dining room was full so they set up a table in front of the outdoor fireplace} to our most recent visit, the atmosphere, service and food have been nothing short of AWESOME! The staff always have smiles on their faces that tell me they really enjoy their job. If you want a nice dinner with good food and good service, this is your place. Reservations are highly recommended especially Fri-Sun as they are very busy. If it's not too cool and they have the patio fireplace going, great place to have dinner with your special someone. I always have the Filet and it is fantastic. Dessert menu should not be overlooked!

1  Thank k2rhere
Reviewed 7 September 2017

5 of us were looking for something different from SW food. We had a nice round table and were all very happy with our steaks. I had Filet Mignon accompanied by a delicious risotto and asparagus---all excellently prepared. Others had the truffle fries---unusual and delicious. The wine list is extensive and the sky is the limit, but we found a reasonably priced and excellent Washington State Merlot. Occasionally the service was slow, but overall strongly recommended.

Reviewed 7 September 2017

Although the recent reviews clearly indicate this restaurant's problem with staff and food preparation, having both worked years in the service industry my husband and I paid them no mind as we know sometimes things just happen. What a mistake. We waited to be seated while servers walked by, ignoring us. A woman approached, didn't identify herself and suggested we eat in the bar, directed us in there and said someone would bring menus. After waiting a time, I got up to get someone's attention as a server approached and admitted it was his third day. After taking our order, he turned us over to another server whose response was a beyond-irritating "for sure" no less than 30 times during our interactions.
My husband and I ordered (from the first server) the Virginia oysters as an appetizer, and we each ordered a ribeye, with his Pittsburgh style. The oysters were delicious and served appropriately. A time later our new server approached and said she had been distracted by her other table and did we get the ribeyes? We assumed she meant to ask if that was what we ordered...as the table was clear with no signs of dinner having been eaten and steak knives still at the ready. We said yes and she asked how they were? We were surprised and said well we hadn't received them yet.
Immediately after this two plates were delivered by a runner, one with a Pittsburgh style ribeye and another three decker steak that in no way resembled the other cut. The server did not return, so I got up to go ask for her. When she arrived, we said perhaps the wrong plate was brought as the tall steak was not a ribeye. She confessed to having no idea what it was since she didn't eat meat. (Doesn't this steakhouse train their employees?!?!?) She offered to take it away and have a ribeye brought. The other steak sat in front of my husband for ten minutes, while he picked at his fries and I had to go ahead and eat without him.
The manager next arrived, told us the meat was an end cut ribeye. When my husband said it was nothing like the hundreds of other ribeyes he'd eaten in the past, she insisted it was a ribeye and said quite sternly, "I'm not arguing with you!" Well of course she was.
Finally the cold slab of meat was removed, a runner begrudgingly dropped off a new plate of steak without a word or apology. The second steak was delicious, but by then I was finished so my husband ate alone.
We just moved to Santa Fe, and this dinner was to be our celebration. What a mess. The customers from the next table next approached us and we thought they were owners or managers there to apologize, but they said they could hear we were having a 'nightmare experience' like they were and to tell us that they brought friends in who had gluten allergies only to find that the gluten free appetizer in fact contained wheat crackers. At this point, we felt we were in the Theater of the Bizarre.
The server returned with the bill to say that she hadn't charged us for the first steak. Nice, we thought, until we looked at the bill. She really did mean she hadn't charged us for the first mistake steak, but only for the two we actually ate. Now we weren't there to scam a free meal, but as I mentioned earlier having worked in service my husband and I both know that if a restaurant doesn't get an order right, they do something. Comp a round of drinks. Offer a complimentary appetizer. Provide dessert.
Well, not this one. They were proud of the fact they didn't charge us for their mistake. Did they really think we would have paid for three steaks?
We expressed our surprise and the server offered to send the manager over. I said we didn't want to deal with (argue with) her again and that we would appreciate it if she just did what she felt was right.
The bill returned with the price of one half of one steak removed. Thanks.
Now, we had spent the day moving and unpacking. This meal as I mentioned was meant to be a celebration of our move to Santa Fe. It was not only a disaster (which we understand can happen) but we were just stunned by the way we were treated about a steakhouse not getting a steak right, a server admitting to knowing nothing about steaks, a rude manager and having to ask to have the check adjusted.
How much would we have spent at this restaurant had our experience gone well? Let's just say $150 at least once per month over the next twenty years ... and that is without bringing guests, our 7 children, neighbors, etc. While we will go on to spend a lot of money celebrating life at other restaurants, we will never return to Rio Chama.

25  Thank Marlayna67