“Delicious lunch in a lovely setting”

La Plazuela at La Fonda
Reserve with OpenTable
La Plazuela at La Fonda is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #16 of 612 Restaurants in Santa Fe
Price range: US$15 - US$25
Cuisines: American, Mexican
Good for: Romantic, Local cuisine, Business meetings, Special Occasion Dining
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, After-hours, Lunch, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Neighbourhood: Downtown
Cross street: Old Santa Fe Trail
Description: Guests seeking an intimate Santa Fe restaurant will find satisfaction at La Plazuela, an elegant restaurant located on La Fonda's original patio built in the 1920's. Open for breakfast, lunch and dinner, La Plazuela is a feast for the senses. Guests can enjoy creative contemporary New Mexican food as skylights flood the restaurant with natural light. Relax in this light-filled setting surrounded by hand-painted windows and the sounds of the soothing fountain.
Reviewed 11 November 2018

In our recent trip to Santa Fe, my friend (who knows Santa Fe) chose La Plazuela at La Fonda for our first New Mexican lunch together. The food was delicious and beautifully plated. The restaurant was very busy, yet our lunch was relaxing with excellent service. I loved the dining room with the high beamed ceiling and painted panes of glass.

1  Thank Pamela L
Write a ReviewReviews (2,345)

Reviewed 6 November 2018 via mobile

Eating at La Plazuela you’ll feel as if you’ve left the USA for a visit to another country!

Let’s start with the environment and decor - beautiful polished Saltillo tiled floor, soaring ceilings, open and airy room. The surrounding glass mullioned windows are hand-painted with colorful south-of-the-border scenes.

The menu is extensive, featuring all the wonderful New Mexican cuisine you could wish for - all with your option of red or green chilie sauce - or perhaps you’ll choose “Christmas”? The food is carefully planned to be what’s expected, but with their own La Fonda twist to the recipes, plus a large number of unusual dishes. Even my salads were more than a salad, with an artistic Claire. It is all prepared so wonderfully and is so flavorful and tasty, you will be considering whether maybe you should eat every meal here.

And you can! They’re open for breakfast, lunch and dinner, and each menu is amazing. On my visit, on several nights my husband, friends and I went back in very late and just had dessert. Everything was delicious and extraordinary. And we ultimately tried and loved the entire dessert menu!

I left Santa Fe sad and wondering how much it might cost to just move in and live at La Fonda on the Plaza. Because I would if only I could.

Date of visit: August 2018
Reviewed 6 November 2018

We never miss a chance to eat at this restaurant! The food is always great and the service wonderful!

Reviewed 5 November 2018 via mobile

My husband brought me to Santa Fe for my birthday and very carefully researched which restaurant he would choose for my birthday dinner. La Fonda is an old, historic and highly regarded hotel right on the plaza and La Plazuela had high ratings on Trip Advisor. Walking into the ( large) hotel I could not help but notice a lot of very touristy shops lining the entryway, but the expansive dining room with its central fountain and high ceilings and interesting architecture seemed very pleasant. Our Southwest wedge salad was to die for, crispy and unique and so delicious. I ordered the pork shank which our (very nice) server said was a customer favorite. It was truly delicious. Unfortunately my husband had exactly the opposite experience. He ordered prime rib which he later told me was the worst prime rib he had ever eaten. I felt so badly as he had our considerable time into choosing this restaurant. I noticed the man at the table behind us had ordered the same thing and sent it back. My hubby said the accompanying green beans were undercooked and flavorless, and the mashed potatoes were completely bland. There is truly no excuse for this in such a supposedly “fine dining” establishment. We also noted many of the female servers had their hair loose and flapping around as they served which certainly was not very professional. Will we be back? Regrettably our answer is ABSOLUTELY NOT. We are discerning diners and my husbands meal was a total disappointment.

2  Thank travelgirl93463
Jayne W, Manager at La Plazuela at La Fonda, responded to this reviewResponded 9 November 2018

Dear travelgirl93463,

Thank you for taking the time to review La Plazuela. I am so very sorry that your husband’s meal was not to his liking. We almost always get rave reviews on the prime rib from our guests, so I suspect we had one that was either overcooked or not up to our usual standards. I do hope your husband sent it back and asked for a replacement. We occasionally have a misstep with the hundred of meals we serve each day and this appears to be one of those times. I have shared your comments about the meal with our chef and he assures me that he will monitor this more closely to insure this does not happen again.

I was, however, very concerned to read about your comments about long hair flapping around as food was served. Servers and the bussers with long hair are required to wear their hair in a bun or ponytail or have it clipped back. It must be off the face and shoulders. However, they are not required to wear hairnets. Our hostesses are also not subject to these requirements and may occasionally assist a server with a meal if we are very busy. Perhaps that was the case on the day you were here. Our sincerest apologies. We have raised the alert on this with our dining staff to make sure it does not happen again. I do hope you will give us another chance to impress you in the future.

Jayne Weiske
La Fonda on the Plaza

Reviewed 5 November 2018

Not to mention a beautiful setting. A bit high style for a couple of folks who just completed a 6 mile hike, but we liked the look of the menu.
We were immediately impressed by the welcoming staff and waitress - We were lucky to get in during the dinner rush but they said "hold on just a second, we'll see what we can do, and they found us a spot -- make a reservation!. Not overbearing "helicopter" wait service, but attentive and just nice!
Not disappointing at all!
The enchilada were just as you would expect at any fine area restaurant. The Huitlacoche Tamal really reminded me of food we had on a visit to Cozumel...not the mush that some pass off as Tamals, but fresh and tasty.
The wine and beer list is excellent - even have a dark beer available (Negra Modelo).
But just for fun, try the Smoky Margarita. A bit "odd" at first, but it really grows on you.

Date of visit: October 2018