“Best Hotel, Great Value & Location”

Inn of the Governors
Ranked #12 of 60 Hotels in Santa Fe
Mokena, Illinois
“Best Hotel, Great Value & Location”
Reviewed 20 February 2012

By far this was an incredible trip over President's weekend for my husband and myself. It started out by our booking the "Inn of the Governors Hotel". Conveniently located, restful, friendly, with ample free parking. The moment we walked through the doors we felt like we were at home. The lobby is warm and inviting. Everyone who works there makes you feel so comfortable. The staff from the General Mgr. Sam, the Bar Mgr. Michael, Frank and staff at reservations, the housekeeping staff and all the waiters and waitresses from the Del Charro Saloon which is connected to the hotel were so wonderful. Our room was spotless with beautiful and so comfortable bedding which made sleeping so enjoyable. Receiving a free breakfast buffet daily was great. They even offered tea and sherry with cookies daily at 4:00 pm. The hotel rooms has flat screen TV's and WIFI is available everywhere. Another great feature is a heated pool for those who enjoy a pool even in the winter. What you see on the internet is what you get and the Inn of the Governors is perfect. Only one complaint our stay was too short but that makes us want to return so much sooner to Santa Fe and stay again at the Inn of the Governors.

Room Tip: Any room would be a great room.
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank JimMar726

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (393)
  • Korean first
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Reviewed 20 February 2012

I recently stayed overnight for a political conference. It was conveniently located very close to the Legislature and also to many other great attractions. The room was nice, the bed was comfortable. Plenty of hot water and peace and quiet. Customer service was amazing. They were friendly and helpful, and guided us to other places I wanted to see. The Del Charro is their restaurant, and it has great food for cheap prices. There was honestly a line of people trying to get in. I got a turkey wrap that was delicious, and only $8. I was running late to leave, and in a rush forgot my shoes and my cell phone charger! I called them an hour later and the clerk actually put me on hold and went right to my room, found my things, and had the maids bag them and hold them. That was service!!! There was only one problem though, which made me re-think my 5 stars, but it didn't change my mind. The parking lot is horrible. Do not attempt to go in it if you have a large vehicle, unless you look for spots first. There are no turnarounds. You would be better off parking on the street or just bring a small car.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled on business
San Francisco, California
Reviewed 19 February 2012

Located a 5 min walk from the plaza. The biggest pluses other than that is the free parking, free breakfast, free wifi. Parking is a big deal cos ur going to need a lot of cash using the paid parking meters and they are packed. Big dissapointent is the front desk staff who other than checking you in efficiently can't give you any good local information. They dont have a concierge. The rooms are clean but small. Room service gets there at 8:30....watch out :)

• Stayed February 2012
1 Thank jax_krish
Seattle, WA
Reviewed 19 February 2012

Excellent value for the money. Clean, comfortable, good location, great service, ample parking, and breakfast is included. The room we had was very comfortable and exactly what we were looking for. Loved the fireplace and the smell of the Pinion wood (so glad we had one in our room). Great location within comfortable walking distance of the plaza (but also on a street that lets you bypass the foot traffic when driving). We thought about going for a more upscale hotel but, in hindsight, were very glad we went to the Inn of the Governors.

What could have been better? Wifi had bad reception, TV was very limited. No movies. Smaller bathroom. More for couples than families.

Room Tip: Get a fireplace. If you definitely need computer access during your stay, you might want to stay som...
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple
Dallas, Texas
Reviewed 15 February 2012

I was searching for the following: on the plaza as I wasn't renting a car, a room big enough to feel like home, a fireplace for the cold nights, perks, ambiance, and all for a deal. In my opinion - I chose perfectly.

I checked into a mini-suite for four nights. The size of the room was comparable to other rooms in the area that were going for a couple hundred more, and because it was an interior room (there are two areas to the hotel, one enclosed, and a side that's off open air hallways. I wanted the security of an 'inside' room.) The full on 'santa fean' style was adorable, and with a fireplace which was prepped every day for me, a little balcony for fresh air, and a wet bar with a fully stocked mini bar - I was totally impressed. I'm a difficult sleeper, and the details like a great mattress - good foam pillows (or down) and the fluffy robes insured a full night's rest, every night. Flat screens are hard to come by in some Santa Fe hotels, but here - par for the course.

Housekeeping was spot on, the free breakfast buffet in the morning is one hell of a deal (steaming green chile, huevos rancheros and fresh tortillas every morning? thank you!), there was free internet everywhere, free parking and even a heated pool (which is incredibly rare in Santa Fe). I didn't miss not having a car, and I walked everywhere I wanted to go, and the staff took care of the rest when I needed a cab here or there. There's even tea, sherry, and some sort of cookie that locals knew about and asked me to steal for them, served every day for the guests at 4 pm.

I'm so happy I chose this property - it's definitely destined to be a home away from home.

Room Tip: Make sure you call and speak to them direct - tell them your needs and wants and they'll pick th...
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled solo