“Hidden GEM of German food - Yum”

The Student Prince Cafe & The Fort Dining Room
Reserve with OpenTable
The Student Prince Cafe & The Fort Dining Room is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #4 of 392 Restaurants in Springfield
Price range: US$8 - US$28
Cuisines: American, German, Steakhouse
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: The landmark restaurant of Downtown Springfield with dedicated service and a German accent since 1935.
Reviewed 18 August 2017

The Student Prince is a hidden gem on Fort Street offering German cuisine. Employees wear traditional German apparel. The customer service is terrific as well. Food tastes well and you will enjoy the German atmosphere as you dine. This was my third time visiting the Student Prince.

Bill P, General Manager at The Student Prince Cafe & The Fort Dining Room, responded to this reviewResponded 19 August 2017

Mr. T,
So happy you enjoyed your experience here at the Fort, we do srtrive to meet our guests expectations, and hope you will visit us the fourth time. Hope to see you soon on Fort St..
Cheers,
Bill

Reviewed 29 July 2017 via mobile

Family of 5. Three sons ages 12-15. Never been to Germany, but would like to think this is what it would be like. Wood everywhere with beer steins and German sculptures, pictures, stain glass etc everywhere. Food was super memorable! Had the pork shank with spetzel and sour kraut and I will never forget it! Jeff our waiter was tremendous! Still on my mind the next day.

Rudirup, Manager at The Student Prince Cafe & The Fort Dining Room, responded to this reviewResponded 30 July 2017

Louis, Thanks for the nice words. I am glad that you and the boys enjoyed the introduction to the German food and atmosphere. I am sure that the youngsters will brag about eating pork shanks. A lot of people that don't think they like kraut become quickly when they enjoy the slow cooked and spiced version served on Fort Street. Jeff is a seasoned veteran and does a great job. On yur next vistit you might want to try some of our seafood, fried clams and lobster rolls are great in the summer. We hope to shortly see you on Fort Street.

Reviewed 23 July 2017 via mobile

Stopped here in Springfield for dinner. Great German fare and huge portions. My wife and I split a schnitzel and our son had a nice mac and cheese. Nice wine selection including a few nice German whites.

Rudirup, Manager at The Student Prince Cafe & The Fort Dining Room, responded to this reviewResponded 23 July 2017

Keith, we appreciate your nice review. Thank you! Schnitzel is German soul food and a great choice when confronting hot and muggy weather. Our Mac and cheese is delicious and just a tad different from most versions of the dish. While beer might come to mind when looking at our stein filled walls, we have a good selection of wines. Thanks again and we hope to see you on Fort Street.

Reviewed 17 July 2017 via mobile

A great place to go with a group. Fun atmosphere, great food, pleasant wait staff. I can't eat there enough. If you visiting the area, do not pass this restaurant by, you will regret it.

Rudirup, Manager at The Student Prince Cafe & The Fort Dining Room, responded to this reviewResponded 18 July 2017

Thanks for the nice review! Schnitzel has been a top seller on Fort Street for over 80 years. Our other most popular main course is scrod. We enjoy watching groups enjoying themselves. We hope that we will see again on Fort Street.

Reviewed 15 July 2017

After travelling Europe for several weeks, I entered a depressive state, as I was suffering from Butterfly Shrimp withdrawal. These are the best damn shrimp I've ever to grace God's good Earth. They are lightly fried to a golden state, aromatic and tasteful! On the secret menu, the Hurley Burger is a unique spin on the generic slider. The chefs–no, the artists–craft their food so thoughtfully that it truly becomes one of the hidden gems of America. I'm already craving the shrimp again, and clocking the next moment I can return to my babies.

Bill P, General Manager at The Student Prince Cafe & The Fort Dining Room, responded to this reviewResponded 16 July 2017

Thanks for the kind words. Hope you make it back soon to get your Butterflied Shrimp. It certainly is onr of our more popular appetizers. Thanks Again.
Cheers