“NOT a place to have a meal!”
Review of Mattie's Cafe

Mattie's Cafe
Ranked #202 of 361 Restaurants in Springfield
Price range: US$0 - US$12
Cuisines: American, Steakhouse
Reviewed 23 June 2017

I went with friends for steak special Thursday. Annie, the owner and manger was there with one cook, one waitress, and one bartender for 21 patrons.

We waited 15 minutes for our menu and had to ask twice the waitress twice before receiving the menus and then she forgot to take our drink order before dashing off. Another 10 minutes went by before the waitress realized her mistake and returned to our table to take our drink order...and we waited 10 minutes for our drinks, which at this point I needed. By this time there were almost twice as many people in the venue and I became concerned because the staff seemed strained when we arrived and now they were clearly overwhelmed.

Our order was simple: one steak special (it was supposed to come with bread and salad), one burger and fries with bbq sauce, and one chicken tender and fries dinner with no added salt (meaning when the food comes out of the fryer don't add salt to it). Yup, the last order was mine because at this point even with my fairly well made long island iced tea, I felt like a cranky 5-year old.

My dinner came out first 10 minutes later. I wasn't provided ketchup for my fries, a napkin which of course I would need because I wasn't provided flatware! Heck 5-yr old adults can order all the alcohol they want but don't expect a fork or knife. Hey even 5-yr old like ketchup. I requested flatware and ketchup and after waiting 5 minutes the items were brought to me with a single napkin.

Five minutes after my meal was brought to the table the steak and potato arrived without the salad, bread, and flatware (which had to be requested and when it was brought to the table it was a steak knife and a PLASTIC fork. Ten minutes after that the burger and fries arrived without the bbq sauce. Salt was added to my fries (Are you trying to kill me?). The bread never arrived but the salad came 20 minutes later.

Was the food good? My friend said yes. Cheers for the cook and he needs a raise. I can't give a rating because of the salt and you can't mess up tenders.

Annie, owner and manager, I am disappointed but not surprised. You have been there for at least 30 years and this is the best you can do? Of course not. You intentionally do just enough to get by and turn a dollar.

Management response:Responded 1 July 2017

Responding to your review I will let you know that I have been here 34 years and take pride in my business. I had 2 parties totaling over 50 customers that I was personally unaware of. If I was aware of the situation I would have been prepared with adequate staff. I am sorry about your bad experience here, please feel free to contact me regarding this issue.

Reviewed 29 December 2008

Never had dinner there, but they did have Steak Thursdays at one time.

Matties is known as a friendly, neighborhood, dance club on the weekends with free fish and chicken appetizers until 1 am.

DJ "Fred Flash" is decent and the bartenders are beautiful and sexy.

Annie is the manager and they also have a pool table for those who don't dance. The cover is $5 on Sat. nights.

So, If you like a nice, quiet, pleasant and peaceful night of dancing, pool, food and drink give Matties a try!

Parking is limited, so get there early.