Review of Theodore's

Ranked #2 of 355 Restaurants in Springfield
Good for: Bar Scene, Child-friendly, Groups
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, After-hours, Reservations
Description: Funky BBQ and Blues joint. Freshly smoked meats. Live music five nights a week. 21 plus after 9pm
Reviewed 29 December 2017

Picked Theordore's as it checked all my boxes as a place where my wife and I could meet my sister and her family(3 boys under the age of 9, and hubby)for a post Christmas lunch stop as they returned home from Vermont to New Jersey. Very easy to find, right off of Interstate 291/91 in the heart of downtown Springfield. Though they have no parking of their own, there is a parking lot conveniently located just past the restaurant on the right. Upon walking in the first thing you realize is its been there a long time. I confirmed this with the hostess Cassidy, 40+ years at least. Wood plank floors, high ceilings, pool tables in the back room, large stage up front where they have live rhythm & blues most nights. To say the place has character is an understatement. If you're an old bar fly like I am you will love the place! As I told Cassidy, Guinness on tap, Pabst Blue Ribbon in bottles, the bar, I could spend ALOT of time at Theordore's. But onto the food. If you like bbq you will LOVE Theodore's. They smoke all their own meats and have a menu FILLED with all the favorites, all kinds of ribs, pork, beef, baby backs, St. Louis, short ribs etc. Briskett, pulled Pork, chicken, you get the idea. Most orders come standard with their home made backed beans(AMAZING), collared greens, honey sweet cole slaw, and home made corn bread. But feel free to substitute for a small fee. My wife and I orderd the baby back ribs, she a half rack, me the full. Falling off the bone tender. I never even sauced them they were so good by themselves. For those of you that like extra sauce, a selection of their own homemade sauces are on the tables. My brother in law had the pulled pork, delicious, juicy and tender. They have a nice children's menu too, covering all the favorites, chicken tenders, mac and cheese, etc.
7 of us had a great meal for $160.00 not including tip. Service was provided by Tammi who I highly recommend, a true delight. My 6 year old nephew gave her a big hug as we were leaving. Springfield has a true gem in their midst with Theodore's.
I'm waiting for it to be an episode of Diners Drive Ins and Dives, as it fits the bill perfectly.

1  Thank Bill B

Reviewed 22 December 2017

I love theodore's! try the burnt ends and their hot wings! this place has a ton of history, it's even been on tv for being haunted! u would never know but the place is a hit

Reviewed 6 December 2017

Have been going here for over 20+ years. Place is run down and not in a great area...but! worth the trip. Service is very friendly and the BBQ baby back ribs are fantastic. The corn bread and coleslaw are so sweet. The waffle fries are wonderful.We are repeat diners.

Reviewed 23 November 2017

I was in Springfield on business and was looking for somewhere to have a late lunch / early dinner and the hotel recommended Theodores. The location is a bit on the seedy side so I didn't want to be walking in the area after dusk. The theme of the restaurant is blues and Cajun and the food and decor reflected this. I had baby back ribs and they were excellent. The server was a lovely very helpful lady with the patience of a saint. The people a couple of tables away from me were difficult and very demanding and the lady looked after them with a big smile and nothing was too much trouble. It was relaxed and comfortable and if I am ever in Springfield again, I will be back.

Reviewed 20 November 2017

As soon as you walk in the door the sweet smell of BBQ hits you. We weren't leaving without trying this BBQ. We had a few hours to kill before a show at Symphony Hall so sat at the bar. Had a few beers. Not an extensive beer menu by any means. We had some amazing BBQ and pulled pork sandwiches. The food was delicious and an ample portion. The place already had an hour wait at 5:00pm on a Friday night so I guess you have to get there early to avoid a wait. They have an awesome stage. Looks like a great place for a show. Our tab was very reasonable for the food and drinks we had. Staff was friendly as well as the local patrons. Great place to hang out and grab some yummy BBQ.

Been to Theodore's? Share your experiences!