“Dead bug in bed”

Red Carpet Inn & Suites Scranton
Ranked #10 of 10 Hotels in Scranton
Reviewed 30 July 2013

Make sure you have cash on you, because there is a $50 cash only security deposit required at check-in. Once we got to the room, we saw how sketchy and run down the back of the hotel looks like, the bath tub had mildew and was very dirty, there was a dead beetle body under my comforter, at breakfast, there were ants crawling around the pastries, and there was a couple having sex in the pool. Not recommended.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank sth527
DhanPatel, Guest Relations Manager at Red Carpet Inn & Suites Scranton, responded to this reviewResponded 7 August 2013

Thank you for taking the time to review our property and I'm terribly sorry that you did not find your stay more pleasant. The conditions that you state are unacceptable and I have instructed our housekeeping and maintenance staff to go through all back rooms with a fine tooth comb. I trust that the next time you stay with us will be much more pleasant.

Reviewed 14 May 2013

We booked this room at the last minute mainly because the it cost half as much as the other 2 hotels nearby (the Radisson and Hilton). Between the low prices and the negative reviews, we were definitely worried that it was not going to be a good experience, but we were most definitely wrong! From the outside it looked like it could go either way; neither fancy nor rundown, and the place felt pretty safe. The prices were excellent, the room was VERY clean (much cleaner than the other 2, more expensive rooms we've stayed in during our trip). The furnishing didn't look new but everything was well maintained and was more than adequate for our purposes. The staff was polite and helpful, and Wifi worked just fine. They were also flexible and let us have a late checkout at no cost. Use common sense and pick somewhere else if you are looking for a 4 star hotel with mints on the pillows, but if you are looking for a clean, safe, comfortable place to stay then I highly suggest the Red Carpet Inn!

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled with family
5  Thank Dave C
dharmacorp, Public Relations Manager at Red Carpet Inn & Suites Scranton, responded to this reviewResponded 21 May 2013

Thank you very much for your kindly honest comments. Our main goal is to keep price for the hotel room rental affordable while providing a clean and comfortable place to spend a night. Our downtown location adds value for money if one prefer to stay closer to downtown life.

Reviewed 23 April 2013 via mobile

As a city Scranton hasn't discovered how to appeal to visitors. The downtown area is missing good options for dining and relaxing, especially for people who have come to visit the National Park's Steamtown.

This motel certainly did not offer anything other than a very low rate. It certainly deserves a low rating. My first "nonsmoking" room smelled like it had been used for an episode of Madmen - it absolutely reeked of tobacco. The second room was better, but not perfectly odor free. The desk clerk was not helpful with our difficulty accessing their WiFi link.

All in all, as W. C. Fields said, I'd rather be in Philadelphia!

• Stayed: April 2013
1  Thank Thirdgate
DhanPatel, Guest Relations Manager at Red Carpet Inn & Suites Scranton, responded to this reviewResponded 26 April 2013

Thank you for your review of our property. I'm very sorry that you were not very pleased with our property or our area. I have warned our housekeeping staff to be more attentive to their work, especially if they find someone has smoked in a nonsmoking room. As for your issues with our internet, we have recently upgraded our system and continue to work to improve it. Our front desk staff are limited in what they can do fix all issues that may come up, but they have been instructed to report any issues to our technician so that we can continue to improve our system. Again, thank you for your comments and we hope you will give us and Scranton another try in the future.

Reviewed 17 February 2013

I was not intending to stay in Scranton but that's what occurred. I searched for a motel that I could drive up to and unload, since my SUV was loaded to the gills. That's the one reason I drove the 10-15 miles from Pittston PA.
On a Friday night I was scrambling and so I settled and accepted the circumstances.The room was dark even with the lights on. To add to that experience, the stationary light stopped working. I tried replacing the bulb but it was the light itself. Old, cheap furnishing.
The bathroom and toilet in particular had seat stains underneath. I was concerned about bed bugs and so I slept with sweats on. I used my own pillow. The bed was decent but I was exhausted from a trying day. They do offer a breakfast bar. It is the low cost, low quality variety.
Summation: Dirty, Low Quality, with old furnishing. Depressing!

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled solo
2  Thank Dante C
DhanPatel, Guest Relations Manager at Red Carpet Inn & Suites Scranton, responded to this reviewResponded 22 February 2013

Thank you for taking the time to let us know about your recent stay at Red Carpet Inn & Suites, Scranton. I'm deeply sorry that you were dissatisfied with our property. We take your criticism to heart and will do our best to make the necessary improvements and updates to our property. I have shared your remarks with both our housekeeping and maintenance departments. Again, I would like to apologize and thank you for letting us know how to better serve your needs and meet the expectations of future guests.

Reviewed 19 January 2013

We stayed here for two nights in August during a trip to the States to see a band nearby. We got the Greyhound to Scranton and this place wasn't too far a walk from the station. It is in a quiet area of town, but we did not feel unsafe. The rooms are ok, we didnt leave with any bites, and it was adequate to sleep in. Yes it's not the most well kept hotel, but we were on a budget. The staff there are very unhelpful, they couldnt help us with a taxi service or direct us to the nearest internet cafe. But as it turns out the whole town only had 2 computers for public use in one cafe and one taxi service that despite driving around the town, no one knew about. Taxis are incredibly expensive here, so best to drive. I would only stay here again if I really really couldnt afford the hilton in town.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank skylar09
DhanPatel, Guest Relations Manager at Red Carpet Inn & Suites Scranton, responded to this reviewResponded 24 January 2013

Thank you for letting us know about your past stay at the Red Carpet Inn & Suites, Scranton. We continually strive to give our guests a comfortable stay at a reasonable price. The information that you share allows us to see our operation from your perspective and make improvements where needed.