“Excellent meal and bar”

Price range: US$16 - US$28
Cuisines: American
Good for: Romantic, Special Occasion Dining, Business meetings
Dining options: After-hours, Dinner, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Description: Chef Schmitz serves up well-executed spins on reimagined American fare like: Pan Seared Chicken Breast. Braised Pork Shoulder, Pan Seared Butterfish, 12oz Grilled Ribeye, Grilled Pesto Salmon Fillet and many other entrees, starters, soups and salads. The wine selection mirrors the Tinderbox menu; ever-changing. The bottle list is global with full renditions of varietals selected to match that evening's menu. The by-the-glass list is a special selection of wines made along with their Companion Sutcliffe Vineyard in McElmo Canyon, Colo. The wines are selected and even specifically blended to add and compliment each dish. "Tinderbox Kitchen is at the epicenter of the Flagstaff culinary awakening." --New York Magazine. "Best Restaurants in Flagstaff," Arizona Republic.
Reviewed 30 March 2018 via mobile

Pleasantly surprised by an outstanding meal while passing through Flagstaff. We are New Yorkers and are accustomed to fine dining. This restaurant could hold its own in NYC even if they charged twice as much. Excellent bar tender, serving premium liquor. Chef does an outstanding job with spices and flavors. Dishes were not laden with butter, fat, and salt as some restaurants do to cover up there shortcomings. Wish I lived in Flagstaff, would be there weekly. Ambiance is very casual, money is being spent where it counts....food,drink, and professional service.

Jeremy L, Manager at Tinderbox Kitchen, responded to this reviewResponded 7 April 2018

vzbc197, thank you so much for your review of Tinderbox Kitchen. We appreciate you taking the time to give us feedback. Safe Travels!

Cheers,

Reviewed 6 March 2018

In Flagstaff overnight. Early dinner at Tinderbox. Brannon was our server. Very nice and offered great recommendations. Great portions and an OUTSTANDING House Chardonnay. We had the pork belly appetizer and the Mac and Cheese. Highly recommended. Enjoy!

Maura M, Manager at Tinderbox Kitchen, responded to this reviewResponded 9 March 2018

Hi Graham954. I recognize that area code. I love south Florida. Thank you so much for dining with us. The Pork Belly with Cheddar Grits is addictive. So glad everything met your expectations. I will be sure to share your feedback with our Chef & Brannon. He is a rock star! Safe travels & we hope to see you again.

Cheers!

Reviewed 21 February 2018

We only spent 2 nights in Flagstaff but I'm so glad we tried out Tinderbox Kitchen! We did not have reservations but were seated quickly. I had my eye on the Daily Mac & Cheese but it contained seafood which I can't eat. Instead I had the Filet Mignon which was fantastic! Cooked to perfection for me and I loved the red wine demi-glace over it. The sides were great as well. My boyfriend had the Ribeye and raved about it as well. We shared the Creme Brulee and it was delicious. Highly recommend Tinderbox and a great spot for date night.

Jeremy L, Owner at Tinderbox Kitchen, responded to this reviewResponded 22 February 2018

Hello jfoles04, you are my new BFF! Thank you for the glowing review. We love it when our guests have a great dining experience. I will share your feedback with our head Chef & our Pastry Chef. Please come visit us again. Safe travels.

Cheers!
Tinderbox Kitchen

Reviewed 21 February 2018 via mobile

My wife and I were given a gift card to Tinderbox. Our experience started at an oddly deep, very narrow table. My wife prefers to sit side-by-side, which was not possible until the restaurant cleared out later in the evening.
We ordered Brie and Crab as an appetizer, and Smoked Salmon Mac & Cheese as an entree, intending to share both in courses will our wine. Unfortunately, both the appetizer and main course arrived about the same time.
Both could also be described the same way: greasy and salty. The Brie and Salmon was floating in grease, and only slightly too salty, while the Mac & Cheese was downright caustic (not a phrase you want associated will food) and also too greasy. As it happened, you could have mixed both together and not known the difference.
Don't waste your time or money here!

John, what a shame that you did not enjoy your recent visit to Tinderbox. I certainly hope you informed your server that you didn't care for your meal. All of our staff is empowered to make a situation right for our guests, as their livelihoods depend on happy customers. If there is a way for us to change your mind please contact me directly.

Regards,
928-226-8400

Reviewed 17 February 2018

Came to Flag for just one night, didn’t know where we going to eat. Ended up at Blendz wine bar (give it a go, friendly and great wine flights) bar tender recommended and this place didn’t disappoint. Great food! Fantastic service by Francesca! A wonderful little place with top notch, not your ordinary entrees. Crispy pork bellies were awesome, my filet was perfect along with husbands rib eye. Side dishes were also flavorful and delicious. Can’t wait to come back.

Dear htibs1, Thank you for your shout-out to Tinderbox, Francesca and our neighbor Blendz. Please call me for a reservation the next time you are in town. Safe travels.

Cheers,
MauraFOH Manager
928-226-8400

Been to Tinderbox Kitchen? Share your experiences!