“So good we detoured into Flagstaff on our way to the Grand Canyon, just to eat lunch here!”

Taverna Greek Grill
Ranked #28 of 356 Restaurants in Flagstaff
Cuisines: Greek
Good for: Special Occasion Dining, Child-friendly, Bar Scene, Groups
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 18 November 2017

Still our favorite Arizona restaurant! We really like the Steak and Spinach Salad which we had for dinner while visiting in July 2017 and which we ordered for lunch when we stopped here in November 2017.

Our waitresses have always been NAU students who work very hard, know the menu backwards and forwards and are good conversationalists. If and when we get to Arizona again, we will definitely stop to eat here.

Reviewed 16 November 2017

Unfortunately--because there seems to be so much potential--this restaurant was a flop.

"Greek"? No. Mediterranean? Maybe.
"Grill"? With all I've eaten, I've seen no justification for that part.
Good? No.

This last time I went, as I was entering--this is not an embellishment--a cook or waiter was walking into the front parking lot trying to clear his nose out onto the ground. Unfortunately, some of the gentleman's extrusions needed more than just a blast of air--and this he generously provided for with his bare hand. "These people are going to be handling my food? Maybe--hopefully--they're more careful when they're dealing with the food."

Now, their "approach" to Avgolemono featured odd, hateful little bits of warmed-over tasting half-heartedly shredded chicken in some stranger's ho-hum crack at chicken soup, and so much (of what actually looked to have been "Tone's" brand) large pre-ground black pepper dots that the soup could actually have been more accurately described as "lemon pepper"--but then I could've avoided purchasing it. Also, would someone please help the chef out and let him in on the secret that Avgolemono is to be thickened with egg (whether whole or yolk)?
Then there was the inversion of every Dolma I've ever enjoyed in my life: the grape leaves aren't so much "stuffed" (as the name would suggest) as the filling is wrapped. Hear me out. First, what found its way into the space inside the grape leaves is not rice but ground meat--meat so tightly fitted to the grape leaves, one gets the impression they consider it an achievement they discovered they could wrap the meat raw before cooking it off--served hot! If this unwelcome surprise weren't unpleasant enough, it comes with a cornstarch-thickened lemon "sauce" (which I think was also flavored with chicken bouillon?)--again, served hot!
For God's sake!
Bacon-wrapped dates ("Greek"?)? Sophomoric (think Lit's "My Own Worst Enemy").
Osso Bucco ("Greek"? "Grill"?): this flavorless, disappointing rendition was made not with white but red wine--another "innovation" in which, I get the sense, they actually find pride--but, hey, at least it was pricey!
"Hit me again."
They bade me adieu with the globe's saddest Baklava (to be fair, it was entirely possible it was not made on premises--the cut was cleaner than I believe they could've managed)--uninspired, flat and flavorless, undercooked and chewy (think "loose leaf college-ruled filler paper"). A slap in the face for the wrong of doing them the favor of giving them one last chance. Certainly, whoever made it was wholly uninterested--would, perhaps, have found a lot more satisfaction at home (or in their dormitory) playing video games and eating pop tarts.
The two dishes I feel comfortable recommending (assuming the staff keeps their hands clean--this assumption may actually be a mistake, though): the basic Greek Salad (a bit underdressed, but completely acceptable), and the Mezze (the Tirokafteri is good enough to allow you to suffer through the insultingly thin Tzatziki).

The wait staff's performance--some "attentive", others more "dutiful"--was by far not my main issue with the place.

Some public areas needs repainting (chipped, scuffed and dirty); some furniture needs replacing (I'm thinking, in particular, about the chipped, black rectangle, pathetically adorned with four small dinner plates, by the fireplace--oh, yeah, they have a working fireplace).

I was surprised to note that the place didn't stink. Good job guys!

Note: I rated this place a "one" when it really deserved a "two" because I was suspicious of all the "five" ratings it had gotten.

Reviewed 13 November 2017 via mobile

We enjoyed a wonderful meal here with very good service. Menu selections are strong & delicious. Salads are the best.

Reviewed 11 November 2017

The place has great food and prices. Has a lot of seating in the restaurant and bar. We had the Gyros plate and it was delicious. They have a beautiful fireplace wit a sitting area as well. A few large table s for parties of 10 or more. I would make a reservation for those.

Reviewed 6 November 2017

We stopped in for dinner on our way to the Grand Canyon and had an appetizer of hummus (delicious!), a main entree of chicken santorini (their red pepper cream sauce is great), and baklava (also well done). The service was good and parking was easy to find. If you're looking for good Mediterranean food, Taverna is the place to go.

1  Thank Ana P

Been to Taverna Greek Grill? Share your experiences!