“Awesome Food”

Shish Kebab Express
Ranked #274 of 1,123 Restaurants in Buffalo
Cuisines: Middle Eastern
Reviewed 21 June 2014

I came here on my trip to Buffalo and I was not disappointed. This place had a twist with the bread. They serve Iraqi Samoon bread.

I did a take out and ordered Chicken shawarama sandwiches which was a little different as it was served in Iraqi Samoon bread and we also ordered Mixed Grilled plater which came with around 5 to 6 different kabaab and rice and I also ordered a Shish Kabaab plate which came with 4 kabaabs, salad and hummus. They also gave 3 Iraqi Samoon bread. I was very impressed with spices used on the kabaabs and the portion they served within a reasonable price range.

The staff is friendly and they cook in front of you and the serve is fast.

They serve halal meat and also provide free Wifi. I will definitely recommend it.

Reviewed 8 September 2013 via mobile

We've been to this restaurant many times before. We often come back, especially with friends from out of town, as this restaurant has authentic Middle Eastern dishes, mostly from Iraq. The breads are all baked in the area from Middle Eastern bakeries and the tastes are definitely reminiscent of being in the Middle East. Everything is very very reasonable and I would come back any time,and certainly recommend this to anyone.

Reviewed 12 November 2012

I love this place. We have eaten in the actual restaurant once and ordered take out twice. Every single time I get excited about how delicious the food is! When we ate in, the dinner plates were very generous and the sides are also just as big. My only complaint, if you can call it one, is that they don't give you enough of that delicious homemade bread that they serve with the side dishes. I could eat that bread every day and never get sick of it. When we went there for dinner everyone was very nice and understood us just fine. If you have never had a real kebab before, don't miss out on this Hertel Ave treasure.

Reviewed 17 July 2012

As someone who has lived in the Middle East, I missed real kebabs. And no, not the Western version of Kebabs which everyone seems to think is as simple as putting a piece of meat on a stick, throwing it on the grill and saying "it's a kebab!". No, I missed real, authentic, properly spiced, this-cook-actually-knows-what-they're-doing-Kebab. Luckily -- and after a long, long wait -- this is finally available in Buffalo at a place that doesn't require reservations.

Kebab Express's name and it's location on Hertel Avenue are desperately unassuming and mask the authenticity, deliciousness and hospitality (I have to admit, I paused before entering my first visit). Real beef, real chicken, and the home made Iraqi bread is out of this world. Even the hummus was a step above what one can typically find in restaurants and was perhaps even better than home made. Much of the food is prepared fresh, so it can take a little bit of time. Oh, and free tea :)

The place is definitely nothing special on the inside (I've eaten in and taken out) - no table cloth, but they do offer basic booth seating and everything is quite clean but nothing super special, but the food more than compensates for the lack of bells and whistles. Good idea for friends/family though.

Prices are decent - considering the portions you get - lots, and lots of food. I've been able to make both lunch and dinner and perhaps even the following day's lunch out of one of their kebab plates. My only disappointment was the Baklava.

The owners' English (and many of the customers') isn't the best in the world, but it comes with the territory - just make yourself clear if you should call to take out. Free WIFi too, should you want to go there and ignore the person you're eating with by surfing the web...

1  Thank varchen