“Great music by people who love what they do.”

Buffalo Philharmonic Orchestra
Ranked #59 of 167 things to do in Buffalo
More attraction details
Owner description: Buffalo's resident professional orchestra, serving the community since 1935. The BPO records for Naxos and has their own label, Beau Fleuve. From September to June, visitors can catch a concert nearly every weekend, ranging from classical masterworks to pops superstars. The orchestra's home is Kleinhans Music Hall, located at the nexus of several of Buffalo's most vibrant neighborhoods and designated a National Historic Landmark.
Reviewed 5 March 2018 via mobile

Last night I went to the BPO to hear their tribute to the Oscars. The music was amazing but I loved to see how much the conductor and musicians loved what they do.

Reviewed 12 December 2016

Delightful performance where the Christmas themed music was all encompassing. I felt mesmerized by all the sounds that flowed together perfectly. The second piece, Winter by Eric Whitacre included a special sitar performance by Naryan Padmanabha. Amazing! Another highlight was the finale to act 1 of The Nutcracker. I could actually picture and feel the animals, the battle and the waltz of the snowflakes as the music played. Handel's Hallelujah Chorus from Messiah was an outstanding ending to a perfect performance by the Buffalo Philharmonic Orchestra. They had the entire audience joining along. A spectacular performance in a great music hall.

Kate J, Public Relations Manager at Buffalo Philharmonic Orchestra, responded to this reviewResponded 13 December 2016

Thank you so much for coming, and for taking the time to give us such a lovely review. We wish you happy holidays, and we hope to see you at a concert again soon!

Reviewed 9 May 2016

For mothers day weekend we decided to fly into Buffalo to see Niagara Falls, the Frank Llyod Wright house and whatever else else we happened upon. I had read other reviews on Tripadvisor about how outstanding this orchestra was but we were blown away. My mom especially. She has seen many concerts and she said this had been one of her favorites. I'm still a bit starstruck thinking about it myself. JoAnn Falletta is amazing. We were also able to hear the amazing talents of Mayuko Kamio who just blew me away with her sound and endurance. If you like classical music do not miss this while you are visiting Buffalo.

Kate J, Public Relations Manager at Buffalo Philharmonic Orchestra, responded to this reviewResponded 11 May 2016

It sounds like you had a really special weekend here. We are honored to have been a part of it. Thank you so much for your kind feedback!

Reviewed 23 November 2015

What an absolutely spectacular perfomance - JoAnn Faletta, Jennifer Koh and the BPO did not disappoint! We are season ticket holders and travel from Hamilton Ontario to hear the BPO. This past Saturday night just reaffirmed our decision to subscribe.

Jennifer Koh's performance was spectacular with the Nielsen Violin Concerto. She brought incredible energy, technical brilliance and a wonderful dynamic to her performance of this very challenging piece. We were enthralled. A very well deserved standing O!.

The BPO's performance of Elgar's Enigma Variations in the second half was outstanding. We attended JoAnn Faletta's briefing prior to the performance and this made our appreciation of this work so much more special.

The BPO is a gem! If you have never been to hear this absolutely world-class orchestra, you owe it to yourself to visit Buffalo for a concert.

1  Thank cancctv
See more reviews
Reviewed 4 June 2015

Last night was not my first concert, just my most recent. This is a world class philharmonic orchestra in one of the greatest music halls. As far as sound goes, there is not a bad seat in the house. In the past, I have sat in the last row in the balcony and could hear every note clear and true. Our concert last night was a free "thank you" concert to subscribers and donors and the hall was packed. We are so lucky in Buffalo to have these great musicians playing for us. Compared to other cities, the ticket prices are absurdly low, which gives you the opportunity to get a variety of different series. We also get world reknown guest soloists to come to Kleinhans Music Hall. Take advantage of this gift to our community and share an afternoon or evening of music with friends and family.

1  Thank Katie K