“Beautiful mansion and Pierre Cardin exposition”
Review of Rosecliff

Rosecliff
Book In Advance
More Info
US$28.00*
and up
Great Gatsby Screening at Jane Pickens Theater...
Ranked #19 of 81 things to do in Newport
More attraction details
Owner description: Commissioned by Nevada silver heiress Theresa Fair Oelrichs in 1899, architect Stanford White modeled Rosecliff after the Grand Trianon, the garden retreat of French kings at Versailles. After the house was completed in 1902, at a reported cost of $2.5 million, Mrs. Oelrichs hosted fabulous entertainments here, including a fairy tale dinner and a party featuring famed magician Harry Houdini.
Reviewed 26 January 2018

I had the pleasure to be alone in the Mansion and walk around exploring history. The Mansion itself is spectacular bur the Pierre Cardin exposition was spectacular. Especially the room filled with gorgeous lithographs from SEM (George Goursat) and the good life in France. It was time travelling and really enjoyed it.

I would visit it again if I have the pass for all mansions, the visit is too quick for a single visit.

All reviews
in 30 reviews
"preservation society"
in 29 reviews

Reviewed 12 January 2018

My son and I decided to go visit some of the Newport Mansions outside the tourist season. And we had this grand ( 1902) house all by ourself. Apart from the (very friendly) staff of course. It's a beautiful place and we were lucky to also see the special Piere Cardin exhibition on the second floor. Dresses made to show, not to wear daily.

Reviewed 4 January 2018

Worth the visit and they as the other mansions have a hearing device for self guided tours. Each mansion brings you a different perspective of how life was in the Gilded Age in Newport.

Reviewed 31 December 2017 via mobile

I really loved this tour! My friends and I in our twenties went and loved the new audio Blu sets! Made the tour really interesting and easy to follow. I also actually really enjoyed the fashion exhibit! The exhibit was different but also cool to see what fashion looked like throughout time! Even though there were less rooms on this tour than others, I enjoyed the change!

We met a wonderful staff member named George who was so knowledgable about the house, audio tour and Newport in general! Really enjoyed meeting him and exploring Rosecliff!