“Quality food in cozy atmosphere”

Benjamin's Restaurant and Raw Bar
Ranked #30 of 253 Restaurants in Newport
Price range: US$0 - US$20
Cuisines: Seafood
Good for: Bar Scene, Local cuisine
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Dinner, After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 17 November 2017

My husband and I stopped in this cozy pub to have lunch. We noticed that it was very popular with locals which is usually a good indication that they served tasty food. It was a drizzly kind of day, so the piping hot clam chowder was very welcome. The special came with a steamed lobster which was absolutely delicious. It was so sweet we left nothing by shells on our dishes. The atmosphere was a little busy, but all seemed to be welcome and friendly. What a nice little find!

Write a ReviewReviews (1,311)

Reviewed 14 November 2017

My wife and I had lunch here twice on a recent Newport visit. Both times my wife got the lobster special - cup of chowder and a 1 1/4 pound steamed lobster. She was in heaven. Don't order the R.I. chowder - very watery. One day I had a doz. oysters at $1 per - great lunch price. Second time I had a nice piece of haddock. Good food, good prices, good service at the bar.

Reviewed 14 November 2017 via mobile

It was Restaurant week so many places were packed with people.My GF and I just decided to go place to place at lunchtime figuring eventually we could find seats without a long wait.Walked into Benjamin's downstairs and really friendly bartender greeted us asked how many and since it was crowded we could go upstairs.We go upstairs and walk in and the entire left side of the room was empty accept a table or two.Server comes over after a few minutes and tells us it's gonna be a 20-30 minute wait lol.I didn't feel I should have to ask why we can't be seated when there are clearly open tables so we just walked out.Its your job to tell me why I can't sit there or explain if its reserved for a party or something.Cant speak to the food but figured I would share as it shows that the level of service/customer service for that matter is lacking.

Reviewed 12 November 2017 via mobile

My daughter and I were looking forward to a nice seafood dinner in Newport. First we were seated in the outside section upstairs and it was freezing despite the heaters and the plastic tarp covering the windows. People were eating with coats and hats on! The lobster bisque tasted burnt and was lukewarm. I ordered the seafood casserole which was bland and watery. The side of rice pilaf was way undercooked. My daughter had the baked cod which was a watery( previously frozen?) bland mess. No taste to either dish whatsoever. Very disappointed! Never again

Reviewed 11 November 2017

We had lunch here while in town from our cruise. The Bloody Mary's were good, warm lobster rolls with plenty of lobster VERY good. He had a cup of the clam chowder which was excellent. The lobster rolls were served with fries and slaw which were also yummy.
They were busy and I could understand why. The raw bar had a lot of variety and looked great. Would return.