“Great for lunch”

Cuisines: Seafood
Good for: Bar Scene, Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Breakfast, Lunch, Reservations
Reviewed 6 December 2017 via mobile

We came for the $1 oysters from 12-2pm (can’t beat that). Also had the clam chowder and steamed lobster. Great pub with good food for great value!

Date of visit: December 2017
1  Thank Pipsy05
Write a ReviewReviews (1,408)

Reviewed 3 December 2017

On a recent visit to Newport my wife and I gave Benjamin's a try and were pleasantly surprised. The main dining room is located upstairs from the raw bar and has a stylish but subdued decor. Benjamin's menu offers classic versions of New England style seafood as well as steaks and daily specials. Note that the appetizers and salads here at very large and can easily be shared by two. The service was attentive and professional with our waiter offering several helpful suggestions.

Overall you get a good meal at a fair price at a great location. That said, you really can't go wrong here.

Reviewed 29 November 2017

I have eaten here 5 times and the food was always dead on and fresh. I decided to try the hot lobster roll - dried out, stringy, tough are good descriptors. The raw bar is great.
Something as simple as fish tacos (Mexican street food) was whacked with cayenne instead of using actualy fresh ingredients - major failure.
I take back my previous great ranking, they are average at best. Throw in the long walk from the bar to the bathroom and, well I CAN and WILL wait a while to go back.

1  Thank donoat
Reviewed 19 November 2017

WE were in Newport for some rest and relaxation. Benjamins was recommended to us.We went for a late lunch and were lucky and it was early bird. We had prime rib,which was one of the best I've had. All of the meals were excellent. Our waiter was very good....attentive,informative and yet not pushy.

Reviewed 19 November 2017 via mobile

We arrived in Newport toward the end of the lunch time. After looking around we we're attracted to the street board with intriguing menu item. The place was packed, which is normally a good indication. The aromas from the kitchen had a come hither quality. My wife ordered the seafood pot pie. I had the tuna melt. We we're not disappointed. In fact, my wife was overwhelmed. The pot pie was big enough for two. It was filled with large chunks of different seafood swimming in a sweet garlic creamy sauce and covered with a very light and flaky pastry cover. She enjoyed the second half the next day. My tuna melt was equally as delicious. Flaked tuna was fresh and tasty. The bread was grilled to a light crunch with a slice of pungent Swiss cheese melted with the tuna. Not only was the food great, but the service was attentive and very friendly. The lunch menu included a small lobster with a cup of chowder for $20. You cannot go wrong in this restaurant.