All reviews visit oahu garbage trucks halekulani hotel small kitchenette waikiki beach the royal hawaiian diamond head poolside
Reviewed 20 August 2018

We have stayed here many times, but not in the last 12 years. Oh MY!, has Honolulu and Waikiki changed. It's all built up and full of very high end shops. Tons of people walk the main drag at all hours where the stores are open way after 10pm. I don't think of going to Waikiki to shop at Harry Winston diamonds or Salvatore Ferragamo, but they are there. But, The Breakers hasn't changed except to get flat screen TV's. This two story throw back hotel is just that-- a throw back to the 1960's. Simple rooms with A/C and a tiny kitchenette, comfy beds, very clean, nice landscaping and a cool pool. Mostly frequented by Japanese people who are going to the traditional Tea House next door. Very fun staff and 2 house cats! It's less than one block to the beach access where you have the best view for sunset. And it doesn't cost $400 a night. It's not glitzy or glamorous. If you want that, book somewhere else. Parking is limited but free.
We also went to the in-house restaurant, Wasabi Grill. We had great service and very nice meals, at reasonable Waikiki prices. It was so easy, quiet and good we went back two nights in a row.

Date of stay: August 2018
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Reviewed 15 May 2018

The common areas are well maintained and the vibe here is great. However, the rooms are in need of upgrading or at least some maintenance. We stayed in two rooms in May 2018 and noticed mold and peeling paint in the bathrooms, peeling wallpaper, and an overall lack of maintenance. There were also numerous small ants/spiders in most corners and even a large cock roach one night. There early morning noise of the garbage trucks was not helpful. We would not stay here again.

Date of stay: May 2018
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
1  Thank Wiess73
Reviewed 25 April 2018

This is one of those few places I am both loathe and giddy to share. What a gem!
I noticed this place many years ago, on my first trip to HI, on my first walk to the beach and was intrigued by how charming and cloistered it looked. And on my second visit I stayed there for 10 days.
Many have already described the decor, and yes, it is right out of the 60s and is a little tired and worn, but spotless and has everything you need. I was vacationing alone and could not have chosen a better atmosphere. The staff is amazing, they are considerate and make this hotel a wonderful little community. It is quiet and private and comfortable. The location is in the middle of the "action" but secluded from it. Everything in Waikiki is within easy walking distance including shopping, great restaurants and the beach. If I am fortunate to visit Oahu again this is the only place I'll stay.

Date of stay: April 2018
  • Trip type: Travelled solo
1  Thank PeytonSloane
Reviewed 11 March 2018 via mobile

This hotel is stuck in the 1970s, and really laid back. It is aged but it everything worked and the staff was great. It’s nice to still have a old school option in modern Waikiki, when I come back I will be staying here again.

Date of stay: March 2018
Trip type: Travelled with friends
Reviewed 15 January 2018

Right from the 50s, but well managed, clean, nice furnishings, coffee bar, WiFi etc, super kitchenettes with absolutely everything, free - though limited spaces - parking, and king beds available. Yes, we were on the inside track, knowing this secret place from previous trips of decades. Just 2 floors, old school Hawaiian open courtyard and pool with a little sushi restaurant; you simply miss the negative parts of crowds and congestion. The Breakers is just halfway between Kalakawa avenue and the beach, Diamond Head direction of the excellent Ft DeRussy army museum. Just walk down the block north and you're in the midst of exciting tourist haven and all the elite stores. Walk next door to the food truck dining lot that eases the pain of Waikiki food cost at great variety and quality, or else just down the block south and you're on the beach park with rentals and first class sunset view. Follow the shoreline beach walk 1/2 block and you're at the grand dame Halekulani hotel, and go a bit farther to enjoy famous MaiTais at the Royal Hawaiian, thought that fun with a snack will cost you. We are not resort people, and just love the Breakers as our charming, blast from the past jumping off point for all things Oahu.

Room tip: ask for King rooms, really nice
Date of stay: December 2017