“If you like local”

Cuisines: Polynesian
Neighbourhood: Downtown Honolulu
Neighbourhood: Downtown Honolulu
Reviewed 15 February 2014

If you like local food, this is the place. Small but clean with friendly service and "oh so ono" local fare. Good menu offerings of local Hawaiian food, good portions and very reasonably priced. Frequented by locals and the occasional visitor to the islands. This is my "go to" place when I need my fix of laulau, kalua pig, lomi salmon and squid luau. The poke was fresh and the haupia refreshing. May not be for the uninitiated but really good Hawaiian food at great prices. If you are visiting the islands and want to sample Hawaiian food without the Waikiki Luau hoopla and prices, give this place a try.

1  Thank gdeakins

Reviewed 11 December 2013

You can't beat the price. They have parking in the back and street parking. It is clean new owners they say, I liked the short ribs with laulau plate. Pork Adobo with side of rice to share. It's not Ono's in Kapahulu it's a old time downtown place that are long gone. The Poke was fresh, the pipikaula is not old style. They are open for breakfast I must try, there are times when a bowl of poi does the trick at 6:00AM. They don't use MSG, a good thing. Had to ask for Hawaiian salt and onion. There chilly pepper if you need. Next time I will ask for a side order of haupia. They do have " Chocolate Pudding" but they don't call it that. They opened a small place on Bishop St. near were I work, got to check it out.

1  Thank Old-Lahaina
Reviewed 23 August 2013

We stopped here for lunch, since it was around the corner from the grocery store. We had just arrived on the island, were very hungry, and thought it would be fun to try some "local" cuisine. This is a dingy, little place, but there were quite a few people there for lunch. We thought it must be good. We all ordered different things, and I don't think any of us were happy. I had a plate of various Hawaiian and Phillipino foods. I tried poi for the first time. It was probably the worst thing I've ever had to eat, even worse than the Waffle House in the South! It had a sour taste, but was also fizzy, like it was fermenting or going bad. I had Lomi Salmon, which is cold salmon mixed with tomatoes. It was really bland. I think it was supposed to have some flavor. I think they used canned salmon. There was a bowl of shredded pork, which again had very little flavor. It was mostly just salty. The only one good thing was the very small chunks of BBQ pork or beef or mystery meat. At least it was tasty! The rest of my family felt the same way about their food. We were extremly disappointed. The service was ok, nothing special. They waited on us, but there really was no effort towards excellent service. It took quite a bit of time to get the bill and get them to let us pay. I would not recommend this place.

2  Thank Zoe Z
Reviewed 25 July 2013

My husband and I came to People's Cafe after work one night, we were lucky to get street parking right in front. The restaurant is very clean and maybe had about 8 other people in at the time of our visit. They gave us a small plate of hawaiian salt and onion for starters.

My husband ordered the special: Kalbi and Laulau- the kalbi seemed undercooked with tons of sesame seeds on it, he had to scrape them off, it was fatty. He said the laulau was tasty and cooked just right so it was not dry.

I ordered the Kalua plate: Kalua pig, long rice, pipikaula, rice, lomi lomi salmon and haupia- my selection was tasty and just enough for one person, wish the haupia was a little bit bigger, it was a small piece.

For the price you cannot go wrong with the hawaiian food entrees, my husband would pass on the kalbi though. They had other selections and some Filipino food, like pork gusantes, pork adobo and banana lumpia but that was all of the Filipino food selection that day.

Average cost for two people $ 28.00

4  Thank Cougar808
Reviewed 23 March 2013

Recently renovated and cleaned-up we have intended to visit. (A clean, nearby restaurant deserves a visit, regardless of a misplaced apostrophe,) The 50% off the second entree coupon provided the final push. Very clean and brightly painted with a blaring T.V., we sat for breakfast. The server was a lady who appeared to have profound language difficulty. Each order required that we point at the listing on the very limited breakfast menu. I ordered steak and eggs with toast. It was impossible to find out if there was a selection of breads from which to choose. My wife ordered the $4.99 breakfast special: 2 eggs ham and toast. The coffee was hazelnut flavored, but the server was unable to respond regarding the flavor or if there was standard coffee available.
My steak and eggs arrived. Unbuttered white bread toast, eggs cooked as ordered with a very thin slice of tasty beef. My wife had the same type of dry toast (no butter on the table or available--considering the challenge to even order the meal, we did not attempt to ask for butter.). The "ham" was a processed rectangle of salty unrecognizable meat product. It seemed a foul attempt by a SPAM wannabe. One bite was far more than most individuals could stand!
There was no check-back by the server and, despite being only one of three occupied tables, it took some effort to succeed in attracting the server's attention for the check. A restaurant which has its only front of the house employee unable to communicate or inform diners what comprises the restaurant's offerings is not doing itself any favors.
The one enduring positive aspect of The People's (sic) Cafe is that it is only a block to Fort Street Cafe where the food and service is reliably remarkable every time.
The 50% coupon brought us in. A 100% off coupon would be insufficient to make us return.

1  Thank johnfjohnston