“Japanese Food buffet, a conundrum”

The Tsukiji Fish Market and Restaurant
Cuisines: Sushi, Asian, Japanese
Good for: Groups
Dining options: Buffet, Reservations
Reviewed 26 January 2016

I use the word conundrum in my title because to me Japanese food and buffet donʻt normally go in the same sentence. I am pretty picky about my Japanese food having lived in Kyoto so will clarify my review from that point. We went to Tsukiji with our family and some friends for lunch. First of all, if you are driving make sure to use the lot closest to the restaurant which is probably the one on the back facing the Nordstrom building. This is especially important if you have older people with you. Upon entering the restaurant, we were greeted and since we had a large party were in a room in the back. It was nice to walk there because we could start to choose what we might want from the buffet. There were many local choices like Teriyaki chicken and also a choice of salads. We skipped over them for the sushi and other items that we donʻt usually make at home. The sushiʻs fish was fresh and tasty. We also had the saba (mackerel) and ginger fish which were both quite good. The tempura was fresh and itʻs coating light. I think itʻs hard to keep tempura good in a buffet and they accomplished that for the most part. Disappointing was the oden and that there no longer was any shave ice at the end. Though the bread budding with a bit of ice cream was a nice ending of the meal. In general, for a buffet, I will give it a very good. I felt that the food had a lot of salt but then that is the kind of Japanese food they were serving. The price is reasonable for a buffet at Ala Moana but not something I would be able to do very often. The wait staff was attentive and professional and patient with the group.

Reviewed 19 January 2016

Good restaurant with lots of local/asian choices. If you like Japanese food like sushi, seafood, and udon this place is excellent. Lots of food choices in a buffet style for a reasonable price. Lunch is very affordable and of great value to buffet pros.

Reviewed 7 January 2016

A friendly buffet-style restaurant at the Ala Moana Mall in Honolulu. Moderate selection of sushi, great Hawaiian prime rib and potatoes, and chicken (for the non Japanese food eaters) and an even better selection of Japanese cooked-in-front-of-you dishes. It's buffet, so go as often as you like. All the rest looked good, but I stuck to the shrimp and Japanese steaks.

Reviewed 30 December 2015

Our office had our Christmas luncheon there and it was just okay. The selection is quite small - you start with a variety of sushi, followed by some traditional Chinese, Korean, Japanese food and there is a ramen/udon bar at the end of the buffet line. There is no carving station. The dessert station is dismal and sad. There is a soft serve ice cream machine there but it doesn't taste good at all. If you want a satisfying buffet that is also delicious, this is NOT the place.

Reviewed 11 December 2015

There is a bar and lounge at this restaurant (a recent addition) that serves drinks and food and has a great happy hour menu from 4 - 8:00 PM. They've reduced the quantity of food given during the happy hour pupu menu since it was ridiculously huge. It still is a good amount of food for the price but chances are there will not be a "doggie bag" required. Still, a good deal for happy hour.