Ala Moana Hotel(Honolulu)
US$169
US$156
  • Breakfast included
Savings alert! 10% below average rates

The price you found is 10% lower than this hotel's average rate of US$174/night.

Prince Waikiki(Honolulu)
US$189
US$171
  • Beachfront
Savings alert! 13% below average rates

The price you found is 13% lower than this hotel's average rate of US$196/night.

US$325
US$219
US$205
Cancelon
  • Pool
See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 3 August 2012

Customer service sucks. We were 30 mins early and they would not even check us in. Not like we would go straight to the room. Not worth the $ to stay here.

Dinosaur TV with a huge remote!
No Internet at ALL!
Bathroom TINY!
Parking sucks.

NEVER AGAIN!

• Stayed: August 2012
4  Thank mtran222
Reviewed 31 July 2012

This is a fairly decent and reasonably priced place for those wanting to be near Waikiki without breaking the bank. The rooms are fairly spacious however the furniture looks a somewhat dated. The TV was really old too. The bathroom smelled somewhat musty, probably due to the old shower curtain. My room faced north so my view consisted of the Ala Wai Canal and the mountains. Quite spectacular! The beach is just a short walk from the hotel and the downtown area can also be reached on foot in no time. The guys at the front desk were genuinely friendly and helpful. All in all this is a great choice for those on a budget.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled solo
3  Thank WideBodyroga
Reviewed 25 July 2012

From check-in to check-out, our experience at the Hawaiian Monarch was positive. The front desk was friendly and very helpful. As airline employees with family in the islands, we travel more often to the islands and have tried many of the hotels in Waikiki and we feel we have found our favourite place. The check-in process was very smooth which comes in handy after a day of flying. The rooms were clean and to our surprise, equipped with a microwave and small fridge. The bathroom had a blow dryer and there was even an ironing board and iron in the room.

The only negative for us is we don't like spending $16 per day to park our car so we decided to take the City Bus and the bus stop is a few blocks away. Under normal circumstances this would have been fine but with a bum foot in this trip, it did present a physical challenge.

• Stayed: July 2012
2  Thank WGIDIR
Reviewed 2 July 2012

As I approached the front desk, the front desk assistant greeted my husband and me with a smile that let us know that we were welcomed at the hotel. We arrived early, so our room was not yet ready, but no problem. The hotel had a safe place where we could store our luggage until the room would be ready at 3:00 p.m. So, my husband and I went for a walk and had lunch. After lunch, we thought we would go back to the hotel and see if we could wait for our room by the pool. It was only about 1:30 or so and we expected that our room would not be ready. But, lo and behold, our room was ready. The front desk assistant registered us for our room and helped us retrieve our luggage from the safe, locked luggage storage room located beside her front desk location.

When we entered our room we were pleased at how nice, clean, and pretty it was. We had only planned on being there for one night so all the amenities that we needed for one night were there... except for ice. My husband and I travel extensively and in every hotel we have been in, there was always a way to get ice. We looked around for the ice bucket and didn't see one. So, we called the front desk and to our amazement we learned that there was no ice bucket, furthermore, there was no ice vending machine. What a bummer. But, that was the only thing negative we found about the hotel. I would advise that they get an ice vending machine on each floor. It is Hawaii, after all and Pina Coladas taste better with ice.

We discovered that we needed to find a camera shop and the front desk assistant was kind enough to recommend two camera shops for us. He even went online and printed out a map for us to find our way. We were able to find the camera shops and get what we needed. To me, that was above and beyond the call of duty. We were very pleased to have that level of service.

The bed was comfortable and we woke up the next morning to check out of the hotel. Still, the service was excellent. The front desk assistant was so friendly and helpful to everyone and he even called us a cab to get us to our destination.

I would stay at the Hawaiian Monarch Hotel again. I would even recommend that my family and friends stay here, too. The friendliness is genuine. The accommodations are beautiful and comfortable. When you are traveling, there is not much more you need from a hotel.

Room Tip: No ice machines, so buy your own ice if you need it.
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled on business
3  Thank Marlene B
Reviewed 17 June 2012

The Monarch has both hotel rooms and privately owned units for rent. I've rented a privately owned unit which was well furnished but pricey, The last time I booked a hotel room as part of a package which was clean but worn and tatty, still very good value for Hawaii. It's an expensive place to visit and anything cheaper will most likely be filthy and even dangerous. I mainly like the location because it's at the beginning of Waikiki allowing an easier escape of the tourist zone. However, I'm not sure I'd reccomend it as a family resort due to the fact there are a lot of transient people renting long term there, a scummy pub in the basement and a gangster gogo bar on the premises. Great if you like to party, perhaps disconcerning if your not into commercial sex, drugs and rock n roll. I spent alot of time in reception for the free wifi and saw alot of crazy poopoo going down. Having said that the security and staff are excellent considering their duties often extend to being social workers and mediators.

Room Tip: Quality privately owned units can be found on VSO website. I think facing the mountains rather than sea is quieter due to less traffic, but with 750000 cars on a small island it's all quite relative...
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple