“This hotel has no Aloha spirit. Stay somewhere else.”

Hawaiian Monarch Hotel
Ranked #83 of 84 Hotels in Honolulu
Reviewed 19 January 2017 via mobile

I'm embarrassed for the Malihinis (Visitors) who come from all around the world to come visit the beautiful Hawaii Nei and have booked this hotel.

Please avoid staying here, unless you don't care about customer experience. It doesn't exist here at the Hawaiian Monarch. It used to...

When I was younger, this was a popular go to place to stay and the night club used to host a line waiting to just get in.

Today, it is barely a whisper of what it should be.

Upon my arrival, the front desk guy who greeted me was not very welcoming. In fact, he's the opposite. In his very monotone and unenthusiastic voice with his blank facial expression, he checked me in. Actually, it was a painful process that doesn't blend in well with the Aloha spirit.

I did like his unique "Bowl" style haircut.

When I got into my room, it seemed okay at first glance but when I continued to settle in and unpack, I started to notice the unpleasant details.

The rug. It's in many shades of green. Green mildew. Green stains. Green mold. Faded green to yellow patches from possible stain washes in the last several years.

The furniture looks like items you may find on the street side walks to be repurposed to use as new furniture.

Even the small refrigerator sits on the floor by the entrance door (#ghetto) - which makes it difficult to open and close the fridge.

There's no wifi in the rooms but there is wifi in the laundry room.

The hotel charges a $10.00 per day "resort fee", you would think they can work in a way for wifi.

[Small note: just a heads up, the swimming pool is a salt water pool]

The second desk person I met there was a young woman who was very charming and engaging. We chatted and she had a very nice disposition. I had asked about extending my stay to a later check out. She told me to call the front desk in the morning of check out.

I called and recognized her voice, she told me the hotel was fully booked and I couldn't have my late check out.

Well, I was a little sad but then, that sadness turned into being upset when I logged into Orbitz Com and discovered there were rooms available when I was told it wasn't.

I don't like liars.

My trip wasn't horrible, I spent most of my time with friends and family.

Finally, when I checked out, there were 4 people behind the front desk. I stood there for a minute.
Finally, with no greeting, I was asked, "do you need help?"

I looked at all four them and thought, no wonder this hotel is a slum. They don't have the right people working here.

I hope by reading this you'll find something else on our beautiful island as better accommodations.

If you're young and don't care - this is the place for you.

Stayed: January 2017, travelled with friends

Reviewed 12 January 2017

Nykky at the front desk is everything!!!!!! I stayed here for 9 nights and upon arrival, I knew I will be in great hands when Nykky check us in. Very friendly and the customer service that was provided was exemplary! Affordable place and again THANK YOU NYKKY...Mahalo, til next time!!!

Room Tip: great view, walking distance to attractions, very affordable
  • Stayed: January 2017, travelled with family
3  Thank Jet P
Reviewed 8 January 2017 via mobile

Nykky at the front desk got me a room without a prior reservation and no charge for early check in. Good service! I will be back. This hotel has come a long way back. The 7/11 next door is convenient for early coffee.

Stayed: January 2017, travelled solo
2  Thank Richard P
Reviewed 6 January 2017 via mobile

Stayed here for 8 nights in the condo section booked through another source. This place is almost like staying in the ghetto.

Whilst the room wasnt anything special (get what you pay for) the window for the room is hard to open/close and can be easy to fall out of thereby being unsafe, especially those with children as there is no fly screen despite being up pretty high.

Throughout the duration of our stay our floor and room constantly smelled of cigarettes and marijuana despite there being a no smoking policy enforced upon the building. We addressed this issue to the building security who did nothing about it

Power outlets are hard to come by and if by chance you do find one its in a hard to reach place, laundry costs $6, the staff and security act like they are doing you a favour just by doing what they are paid to do and should NOT be working in a hotel residence. Dont even bother going to the spa, there is no heat.

To top it off we recieved a noise complaint and was fined $25 due to the condo residents (who are smoking up the place btw) because our door kept "slamming" which is a maintenance issue due to our door being faulty and instead of being informed by security that they had recieved compliants they let it wait until the complaints built up and decided to fine us without a warning (going back to my point of incompetent and rude staff)

--Too long didnt read--
- Arrogant staff
- Incompetent/lazy security
- Some hallways smell like cigs/weed
- Overpriced Laundry
- Building residents are arrogant
- Elevators take 6 years to get anywhere
- Building needs a serious overhaul as it is still stuck in the 1980s

Would not reccomend this place. It can easily ruin your holiday, opt for spending more for a 100% better quality stay.

Stayed: January 2017, travelled as a couple
1  Thank KeanuTW
Reviewed 4 January 2017

I found the place close for shopping food etc but always a twenty minutes walk to go near a beach. Plus no chair available unless you pay for it 12$us per day.
Also the place has a smell of dampness in the corridor...the condo apartment are clean
inside . First time in a condo apartment has a vacation and last time.
Hawaii isn't for people who loves to swim in the ocean Wakiki is just full of rocks
other places in the Bahamas are nicer than Wakiki beach.
Pearl Harbor is a tourist attraction but a Tour to see more of Honolulu and the Dole
plantation is worth it if you have to pick one of them.
To just conclude if you want a city near a beach full of rocks this is the place very high buildings.

If you want beauty, go to Turk & Caicos this is Paradise and much closer.

• Stayed: December 2016, travelled with friends