6 people have started booking this hotel
Lock in the lowest price from these sites
Agoda.comUS$221
Expedia.comUS$221
eDreamsUS$221
PricelineUS$221
Hotels.comUS$221
travelup.comUS$260
18,568 results
All reviews rainbow tower ali tower super pool tropics bar tapa pool private pool hilton hawaiian village round table pizza paradise pool abc store waikiki beach ocean view fireworks show diamond head friday night fireworks lots of shops time share
Selected filters
Reviewed 7 March 2021

If you're heading to Waikiki, the Hilton Hawaiian Village (HHV) is a good option but it had some major deficiencies (at least during the COVID pandemic).

The Good:

1). Location: EXCELLENT
The HHV offers the perfect combination of being close to everything in Waikiki while also offering a bit of a refuge from the hustle and bustle of Waikiki (being directly on the ocean). If you're traveling to Hawaii, Waikiki isn't really where you go for relaxation. Having said that, you can't go to Hawaii and not get at least a little bit of relaxation and the HHV's location directly on the ocean/beach gives you a bit of that Hawaiian relaxation. From my room, I was able to hear the waves crashing at night so I was a happy camper!

Cost: AVERAGE (at best):
Hawaii isn't cheap, everybody knows that. If you get a "deal" on a room, you are likely sacrificing, location, service, cleanliness, or a combination of all of those things. Having said that, the HHV was a bit pricer than I would have expected for the absolute lack of amenities (largely blamed on COVID). I paid about $500 per night for my oceanfront corner room, which all in all isn't bad for Hawaii and something I would have considered reasonable were the hotel operating at full capacity. Given the lack of service however (keep reading), the price felt a bit steep.

TV/WiFi: EXCELLENT
There were adequate cable/satellite channels including Spanish-language and Japanese-language options. The wifi was strong and fast and was free for Diamond members. I believe the wifi was included for everyone in the "resort fees".

The Gym: EXCELLENT
The Gym is located in the Kalia Tower which is a bit of a walk but not unreasonable, especially if you are wanting to exercise. The gym is big and well equipped though it did get a bit busy in the morning. During this COVID pandemic, there is a limit of 24 people in the gym at a time. Additionally, there are reduced hours (6AM-10AM and 3PM-7PM).

The Spa: GOOD.
The spa is also in the Kalia building. My 80-minute massage including tip was about $300. The cost is a bit more than comparable services and locations but not completely unreasonable. The ambiance was good and the deep tissue massage definitely did the trick in working those kinks out!

The Food: POOR.
What food??!! This is where the HHV really dropped the ball. I'm a physician and I've been dealing with COVID and COVID-precautions for more than a year now, so I get how important safety and social distancing are. But I also understand that lots of business (especially in the travel industry) are using COVID as an excuse to offer shamefully barebones "service". NONE of the hotel restaurants were open and there was no room service. So if you come to the hotel after a full day traveling on US carriers that give you scraps in coach because this is a "domestic fight" hoping to get a bite to eat in your room and rest, you can forget that notion. For Honors members with breakfast benefits, you get a Starbucks voucher for $10 per day per person (yeah, $10 at Starbucks doesn't but much) and because so many people are descending upon the one very small Starbucks at the same time, the lines are horrendous and they seem to run out of lots of things during their limited business hours (6AM-11AM). We frequently ate our other meals at other area hotels who have seemed to figure out how to balance COVID and food service.

Staff/Customer Service:
The staff were great, they exude that "Aloha spirit". Anne (in the All'i tower) in particular was great. We were initially booked in the Ali'i tower but weren't pleased with the room. Anne got us reaccommodated in the Rainbow tower in a much better room and didn't charge us the additional $50 per night citing my Diamond status.

Honors/Diamond Privileges: POOR
Anne was great in upgrading our room without charging the $50 difference in the nightly rate but that was about it for Honors/Diamond privileges. There was no free water in the room or at checkin, the upgrade only came when I complained about our initial room, there is no lounge open (COVID I'm guessing), and the breakfast was a $10 voucher at a very crowded, poorly-stocked Starbucks.

The best room/building: GOOD WITH A CAVEAT
Our room (3001 in the Rainbow tower) was good (great views from the corner location) with decent furnishings but the room was a bit rough around the edges (scuffed furniture, drawers that wouldn't close, and a shower head that wouldn't stay in place).
If you want some privacy (looking at the ocean/beach instead of the resort or a pool), get a room in the Rainbow tower. I read a lot of peoples opinion on All'i versus Rainbow, in my opinion, there is no question. Definitely Rainbow.

Kudos:
Great location and views.
Great staff.

Boo/Hiss:
Room a bit rough around the edges
Shameful service cuts being blamed on COVID.

Room tip: Get an odd-numbered room in the Rainbow Tower ( 3001 and 3101 are probably the best) if you want ocean and Diamondhead views.
Date of stay: March 2021
7  Thank idries
HHVTeam, Manager at Hilton Hawaiian Village Waikiki Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 4 weeks ago

Convenience is key when it comes to a restful vacation, so I'm glad you loved where we're located. I'll also be sure to give Anne a special shoutout on your behalf because I know she'll appreciate the support. That said, I'm disappointed to hear how our updated amenities and resort benefits caught you off guard. I'll be sure to share your detailed feedback with the rest of our management team because I know they'll value your insight. I hope you'd consider staying with us again. I'm confident we can make it a five-star stay for you over at the Rainbow tower.

Reviewed 5 March 2021

There are so many disappointing things I can say about this hotel experience during covid but I’ll keep it at a bulleted list. If these things don’t matter to you then make your own decision…

1. Drinks and food are not served at the pool area. So if you envision a vacation sipping a mai tai by the pool, this isn’t the place for you. You have to walk into the village across the street for food and booze.

2. The sheets smell like wet towels… I’ll leave it at that

3. This hotel doesn’t provide water…or glassware to the room

4. Overall, very dead atmosphere. I’d recommend staying on the other side of Waikiki

Date of stay: March 2021
Trip type: Travelled with friends
6  Thank Sightseer588348
HHVTeam, Manager at Hilton Hawaiian Village Waikiki Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 5 weeks ago

I'm only happy when our guests are happy, so I sincerely apologize for not living up to your expectations. I'll be sure to share your feedback with the rest of our management team because I know you'll appreciate the insight. If you'd like to discuss anything further offline, please don't hesitate to give us a call at (808) 949-4321.

All the best,

Reviewed 2 March 2021 via mobile

After experiencing this property for the first time a year ago, I know how amazing it is. Of course with COVID, I expected it to be different. Not this different however.

The first issue was the pool. Multiple times, trying to find a spot at the super pool was impossible. Luckily we had the Alli, so we were able to find a spot once up there.

The other issue is the locals paying to stay. When a family of 10-12 are “staying” in one room, it creates a lot of noise and not much social distancing. Kids were doing flips, jumps, and splashing all over the pool deck. I get some splashing, however when I am 8 ft away and my meal is soaked with pool water, sad. I get giving locals discounts. But when they invite their friends, cousins, and sisters to come use the pool, the ones paying $345 a night get to suffer. I only know this because I heard them talking. Very disappointing.

Parking. Paying $49 a day to self park, that’s a bit much when valet was $50 before COVID.

Overall, I may or may not come back. I truly love the property, the location, and staff. Not much open to eat, I understand. As a Gold member with Hilton, maybe next time I’ll try a different property.

Date of stay: February 2021
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
8  Thank RJL1313
HHVTeam, Manager at Hilton Hawaiian Village Waikiki Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 6 March 2021

I'm sorry to hear how you didn't enjoy your time with us. We love welcoming everyone through our doors -- including our neighbors! I understand how that might have disappointed you, so I'll be sure to share your experiences with the rest of our management team. If you'd like to provide any more insight, please don't hesitate to get in contact at (808) 949-4321.

Reviewed 2 March 2021 via mobile

I was a little leary about staying here after I read some bad reviews. I am so glad we stayed here anyway.
Pros- Beautiful resort.
Easy beach access.
Walking distance to Ala Moana Mall.
Walking distance to Waikiki shopping and restaurants.
Friendly helpful staff.
Coffee and Tea for Keurig machine.

Cons- Pool with slide is closed. ( they might open soon)
Starbucks closed
Limited shops are open

Overall a great stay. Would definitely return!!!

Trip type: Travelled with family
4  Thank Pita75

Convenience is key when it comes to vacation! I'm glad we're close to everything you needed for a great stay. That said, I'm sorry to hear how our updated amenities caught you off guard. Hopefully, our pools will open again when you decide to stay with us next time.

Reviewed 19 February 2021

Kinda disappointed at this particular Hilton hotel. We are locals and I'm a Hilton Honors member, and we stayed here for a weekend staycation.

Pros: 1. great location if you don't mind walking a little to the main Waikiki strip. That also meant the beach area is less busy. 2. We stayed at the Rainbow Tower with lagoon/marina view, the view was great. 3. Pools are ok if not too busy. 4. Quick check in and check out

Cons: 1. Customer service and hospitality could be better. Granted it is the pandemic, so spirits are generally down, but being Hilton and in the hotel industry, I would've appreciated a warmer atmosphere.

2. Since we're still in a pandemic, social distancing is still important. It's observed well at the beach, less so in public areas but still with some distance among the guests, but in the ELEVATORS? Forget it!! Even if there are signs, very few actually practice it and guests just pile in. It is practically non-existent during "rush hour" when everybody is trying to get back to their rooms after a day at the beach or pool. There are no staff by the elevators to remind guests about it nor enforce it. I'm sure there are cameras around, but nothing is done.

3. Had to argue for the free bottled water that is part of my Hilton member benefits. The Hilton honors Silver tier benefit includes free bottled water upon check in, and for some reason, this hotel decided to have guests get the water from the concierge instead of upon check in at the counter. We checked in after 6pm so the concierge counter was already closed so the front desk guy told me to just claim it from concierge the next day. There was only 1 concierge staff and she was already helping a guest book activities so I waited in line. I waited for almost 30mins, and during that time, the other guests behind me left coz it was taking a while for them to finish. When I tried to tell front desk staff that all I needed was water, they hurriedly told me to ask for it from concierge. When my turn came, she asked me for a "paper" that I guess is a claim stub for water?!? I said nobody gave me any paper, she asked me what tier I was, I told her Silver, and told me that it's only for Gold and Diamond members. This is completely incorrect because first, the front desk told me to get the water, and second, both the Hilton app and website still has it included as a benefit. That just ruined my morning.

4. The rooms are getting dated but still ok. They need new pillows though. The pillows look nice and plump, but as soon as you rest on it, it becomes completely flat. Had to fold the pillows in half to get any neck support. The mattress is a spring mattress, feels really firm compared to a memory foam or pillow top mattress

Overall, it is ok if you get a good deal. I guess I had high expectations being the "mothership" of the Hilton hotels in the area, but if I were to stay at a Hilton in Waikiki again, I'll book a different hotel from the Hilton line.

6  Thank E5193CFvaleriet
HHVTeam, Manager at Hilton Hawaiian Village Waikiki Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 26 February 2021

I'm only happy when our guests are happy, so I'm disappointed to hear how we've missed the mark for a Hilton Honors member like you. Although we do have a strict mask and social distancing policy for our guests, I'll remind our team to enforce it better. I appreciate your feedback about our room, so I'll be sure to share your insight with the rest of our management team. If you'd like to discuss anything further offline, please don't hesitate to give us a call at (808) 949-4321.