5,816 results
All reviews beach bar the banyan tree rocking chairs tower wing beautiful hotel oldest hotel waikiki beach heavenly bed older part original building ocean view old hawaii diamond head new tower an umbrella heart of waikiki resort fee
Reviewed 17 May 2012

We stayed at the Moana Surfrider for one night April 2012. From check-in to check-out, we had a wonderful relaxing day at the Moana Surfrider and everything were consistent with the Westin brand standard. The hotel's exterior is beautifully restored and the lobby area is nice to take a break from an exhilarating vacation.

The nice check-in agent upgraded our room to a Banyan Classic Ocean View Double Room. The room was very spacious and nicely appointed. Be aware that there are no balconies/lanais and windows are small. But otherwise, we enjoyed the Westin Heavenly beds and the bathroom was very clean.

During our stay at the Westin, we ate at the Beach Bar for lunch and the Veranda for breakfast. We received excellent service at both of them and the food were tasty. I definitely recommend the Veranda for breakfast (you get nice views of the ocean!)

The pool is small for the size of the hotel and if you want a pool chair, you'd have to be there early (8am). But the location of the hotel allows you to just walk from the room to the beach in less than five minutes. The location is excellent as you're in the heart of Waikiki and is very close to public transportation.

Overall, we had a great stay and will be back next time!

Room Tip: Banyan Wing Ocean View rooms with double beds
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 16 May 2012

5 nights at the Royal Hawaian, 6 nights in Maui at the Hyatt and 1 night at the Moana.

The Moana was definitely my least favorite. The hotel common areas are beautiful, but unfortunately the rest of my experiences were just average. The room was clean, but lacked a personality and could have used some updating. Maybe there are better rooms in other parts of the hotel.

The pool is small and I don’t get up early enough to get a chair.

The coffee in the restaurant was worse than instant coffee and the food was not much better (only ate breakfast).

My two experiences with the hotel staff were great. Check-In and requesting a courtesy room to shower before the flight home. Both individuals were extremely nice, friendly and helpful.

I can see why others may enjoy this hotel, but I would most likely not go back.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled with friends
2  Thank TravelToTheSun
Reviewed 13 May 2012

This was our first trip to Hawaii and loved it.
Pros- atmosphere, location which was super convenient and close to many restaurants, beach rental area was $50 but totally worth it, breakfast buffet- we booked a package that included it and was terrific
cons- we booked the 2nd most expensive room- the diamond oceanfront. So glad I was prepared before going or would have been very disappointed in the rooms. It was not what you would expect for the price paid. It was dingy, you could barely walk out on the balcony and the bathroom was very small and in desperate need of an upgrade.

Side note- check out japenga for happy hour across the street. Amazing food and drinks and is an especially good deal until 7.

Room Tip: Spring for the new tower
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Wendi f
Reviewed 12 May 2012

I stayed at the Moana back in March 2010 for my birthday. Ever since i saw this hotel in a magazine it has always been on my bucketlist to stay here if only for a few nights (it is expensive, but well worth it).
Located right on the beach, in the centre of Waikiki, with all the great shopping and dining only a short walk.
I was fortunate enough to be upgraded from a city view room to an Ocean view - my first ocean view room i had ever had the oppurtunity to stay in in Hawaii. The room was massive with a great big King bed and the bathroom was particularly nice and well maintained. My view was maginificient with now obstructions and i was also fortunate enough to have a great view of Diamond Head as well.
The hotel interior in the lobby and elsewhere was magnificent, and kept it's old historical look. The staff were fantastic, and if i ever had the oppurtunity to stay again i would go back in a heart beat.
Overall - a great place to stay, friendly staff, pristine rooms and well maintained grounds... right on the beach!!!

Room Tip: Ask for ocean view with an outlook to Diamond Head
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled solo
1  Thank yetti
Reviewed 12 May 2012

We enjoyed our stay at the Moana Surfrider, the room was comfortable, clean, and the location was great. However, my opinion of the stay was affected when I encountered two staff members who refused to help me.

I purchased three pastries from a farmer's market across from the hotel. The pastries had pork in them and were sold to us cold so we needed to heat them up. I approached the front desk and asked how I could get the pastries heated. The desk attendant replied "we have no microwaves". I commented that there had to be some way to heat food somewhere in the building but she shook her head. Once I made it to my room I called "service express" and asked how I could have the pastries heated. The person on the phone replied "you have to rent a microwave for $20 per day". I replied that we only needed to heat food this one time and he replied "sorry". I tried to say something else and he HUNG UP ON ME.

When I am on vacation and paying to stay in a hotel, I would appreciate it if the staff would actually be helpful. This is the fifth Westin I've stayed in and it is definitely lacking in the service area.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple