US$193
Priceline
US$475
Hotels.com
5,660 results
All reviewsbeach barthe banyan treerocking chairstower wingbeautiful hoteloldest hotelwaikiki beachheavenly bedolder partoriginal buildingocean viewold hawaiidiamond headnew toweran umbrellaheart of waikikiresort fee
Reviewed 1 March 2013 via mobile

We didn't stay there but were encouraged to tour by friends. When we arrived at the hotel the staff was very welcoming. They do a guided tour Monday, Wednesday and Friday for free from 11:00 AM til 5:00 PM. Lots of hawiian artifacts and a section on The Duke. This is the oldest hotel on Waikiki and well worth your time. While you are there take time to visit the banyan patio and the best Mai Tai on the beach. Aloha!

• Stayed: February 2013
MoanaSurfriderTeam, Guest Experience Team at Moana Surfrider, A Westin Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 28 March 2013

Aloha,
Thank you for sharing with us. We are so pleased to hear you enjoyed our historical tour offered Monday, Wednesday and Friday at 11:00am. We were the first hotel built in Waikiki and subsequently rich in Hawaiian history. Not to mention the years spent perfecting our Mai Tai at the Beach Bar! Upon your next trip to Waikiki, please come and enjoy our Afternoon Tea at the Veranda. It truly is like stepping back in time. Mahalo and please visit us again on your next visit to the islands.

Reviewed 28 February 2013

Old but lovely hotel in the middle of Waikiki Beach. It feels like the ocean is rolling into the hotel. Shops are nearby and people from Japan are using the hotel every 15 minuts for their marriage. Great stay at the heart of a big city.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Geurtsen
Reviewed 28 February 2013

The Moana Surfrider is perched in the middle of Waikiki Beach. This gracious and romantic Victorian property has a historic "Banyan wing" and a new "wing." I've stayed on both sides and while I love historic properties, can honestly say it was more comfortable staying in the newer section simply because the rooms were large and brighter. The historic section is beautifully appointed in period antique furnishings and the ambience is lovely. I was staying at the hotel for a lengthy business trip and felt a bit claustrophobic in the smaller room - so requested to move to the newer wing where I could happily "spread out." There can be a "wind-tunnel" effect as the sound of the wind whistles under the door (I stayed in the ocean front room 3x) - this can be highly annoying. This was rectified by stuffing a towel next to the door. Housekeeping is excellent and the selection of organic teas in room is wonderful. Many fine properties no longer have in-room coffee/tea bars so this is a plus. The bed/pillow is excellent - linens a high thread count. The hotel is a favorite for locals to enjoy get-togethers and afternoon tea - it's always nice to be rubbing elbows with local people when traveling. The Banyan Tree lanai is a dreamy place to enjoy local entertainment. The location of the hotel is excellent. You are next to the Royal Hawaiian Shopping Center, which is convenient for Apple folks (my computer always acts up) and close-by world class shopping i.e. Gucci, Hermes plus banks and drug stores. You are also 10 minutes by car to less crowded beaches and excellent shopping and dining experiences (where locals go). You are 5 minute walk to Kapiolani Park (Diamond Head) where locals jog and enjoy concerts and art fairs. I was born/raised in Honolulu and love both The Moana Surfrider and their adjacent sister property The Royal Hawaiian. Try to get an ocean-front room for optimal peace, as the lower rooms facing Kalakaua Ave tend to be noisy. Also, allow for adequate time for the valet to bring your car round as this hotel is fairly bustling - although self-parking is available and best if you go in and out frequently. Not excited about on property meals (aside from afternoon tea), however a walk next door to the Royal Hawaiian's Azure Restaurant is highly recommended for an unforgettable/delicious dining experience. You will LOVE staying here.

Room Tip: Try to get an ocean-front room for optimal peace, as the lower rooms facing Kalakaua Ave tend to be noisy. Also, allow for adequate time for the valet to bring your car round as this hotel is fairly bustling.
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 28 February 2013

We visited the Moana Surfrider in September 2012 after a few days in San Francisco. I was looking forward to escaping the hustle and bustle of the magic city!
When we arrived at Honolulu airport and even the shuttle bus driver told us that Moana was his favourite hotel on the island and that we would have an amazing time.
We checked in really easily. We had emailed the hotel well in advance to request a Banyan section room and we had also paid for a sea view (well worth the extra cost). Our room was quite small but we really didnt spend too much time in it. But it was really cosy and faced the beach.
The ocean was so gorgeous and blue, we woke up to this every morning :) In the evenings you would hear the hawaiian music next to the Banyan Tree, it really set the scene.
We booked a few trips with the hotel. Our favourite was the Polynesian Culture Centre. Sounds boring but omg, it was brilliant. Laughed so much, learnt loads and just had a fantastic time. Another trip we went on was Pearl Harbour, it was good but nowhere near as good as the culture centre.
The location is fantastic if you like being in the centre of what is going on. It was kind of the best of both worlds really. A gorgeous beach on one side and the other a busy shopping street with places to eat etc. There are so many lovely shops to buy little gorgeous pieces, not like the usual rubbish you get in Spain.
I think something to just be aware of is there is a selection of places to eat but for the Brits, I think it is fair to say most places are very American. Lots of American food on offer and the portion sizes are humongous. My partner and I had a starter each and shared a main and I was stuffed, this was in Jimmy Buffets. I think we just expected to have a more diverse range of foods than what was on offer. And Brits, dont get too over dressed. I made that mistake, they dress quite casual when eating out.
On our second last night, my partner proposed to me right in front of the hotel in the evening along the beach. It was so romantic and I was over the moon. I really hope to return one day in the future on an anniversary. It was the most perfect holiday ever. Thanks Moana!!

Room Tip: We paid extra for a sea view and I would really recommend this but if I was to return I would also pay extra for a balcony. You just need to make the most of the stunning view.
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Chloe R
Reviewed 26 February 2013 via mobile

We loved our relaxing stay and our room in the diamond tower on the 7th floor.
Although the room was not huge, being able to enjoy hearing the waves and the lovely ocean view made this, our third stay here, the best one so far.

• Stayed: February 2013