“Perfect Waikiki location. Noisy Housekeeping staff.”

Moana Surfrider, A Westin Resort & Spa
Ranked #24 of 84 Hotels in Honolulu
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 20 November 2017

This hotel's location is hard to beat. We have stayed at this venue on three occasions now. The staff are very polite, very efficient and the facilities are first class. The one issue that spoilt our most recent stay was the noise made by housekeeping staff. Every morning of our stay we were woken by the housekeeping staff preparing to start their work. They talked loudly to each other, thumped and banged as they loaded up their trolleys, and despite their friendliness, were a real nuisance. I reported this to the front desk a couple of days into our stay, but the problem persisted for the duration of our holiday.

I do not know the full extent of the extra taxes and fees levied by Hawaiian hotels, but it seems excessive. Their "resort fee" of $33 USD per room per day on top of other statutory taxes seems a bit rich. Yes, you get free phone calls, free bottled water and a few other minor concessions, but it sure adds to your room cost. I believe it is at the discretion of each hotel as to whether the charge is applied or not.
Despite my criticisms, this is a grand hotel in the heart of Waikiki and if within your budget is well worth a stay.

1  Thank suspend6
Write a ReviewReviews (5,379)

Reviewed 19 November 2017

This was our first visit to to the Moana Surf Rider in Waikiki. what a great place it was, and what a great stay it was. From arriving, until our departure we had a staff dedicated to making our stay a good one.

we had a minor problem with one Valet, but Jan, and Frank's graciousness more than made up for it. Our car was always there at exactly the time when we asked for it. This is some mean feat for a place that only has Valet parking, and usually has up to six weddings a day.

The place is full of weddings all day long. some might find this a distraction, but we loved seeing all the young couple and their finery as the posed for the post wedding photos. ( We actually took some of the poses in our beach out fits and got laughs from both the bride, groom and photographers)
The restaurants are first class, the beach access perfect, and the water there is why folks come to Hawaii. Staying right on the beach you can lock up everything valuable in your rooms' safe and head to the beach worry free( save for the occasional rogue wave.)
Our ten days was exactly the quality of stay we wanted. It's not a cheap stay, but go ahead and splurge. it's worth it.

Room Tip: Rooms facing the beach are always the best.
Reviewed 19 November 2017 via mobile

The Moana Surfrider is an outstanding resort in Waikiki. Easy access to shopping and dining and of course the beach. A good surf break is just to the left of the hotel facing the beach, you can rent boards and learn how to surf in the perfect waves.

The staff is very friendly day and night - I was able to upgrade my room to an ocean view and it is a spectacular view. The room is great and quiet and the maid service was perfect.
If you are looking for a hotel/resort in Waikiki this is the best I’ve stayed in!

Stayed: November 2017, travelled with friends
Reviewed 19 November 2017

I stayed in the hotel for 4 nights over labour day weekend (then went to Maui and returned for 1 more night before departing). I stayed in the Banyan original part of the hotel. For my first stay I was in a corner room overlooking the street, which was a bit noisy, but as a seasoned traveller I popped some ear plugs in and was fine. When I returned I was in a room overlooking the beach and courtyard which was much quieter! I didn’t go into the new section, but the lobby feels like stepping time complete with rocking chairs on the porch. My only criticism is the hotel was very busy, many weddings, the pool is very small and packed early, I headed straight to the beach in order to find somewhere to sit/enjoy the sunshine. I ate in most of the outlets and the food was fine and what you would expect. The location of the hotel is perfect for walking to other hotels, shopping and restaurants and a short cab ride from everywhere else. I would definately stay again!

Room Tip: Ask to be on the beach side rather than street side
Stayed: September 2017, travelled solo
1  Thank zarakara
Reviewed 17 November 2017

I love this hotel because it is situated in the heart of Waikiki and it's an easy walk to absolutely everything. The ocean view rooms are wonderful -- with fantasitc views of the entire beach. It's the oldest hotel in Waikiki, so it definitley has a historical feel. Staff was super-friendly and helpful. Keep in mind that it is a busy resort -- there were always lines at the front desk, and it's not easy to get a seat at the bar. The pool is really nice, but it is best to go early to get a lounge chair. Our only issue was that the elevators were being renovated during our stay so it was always a slow process getting to / from our room.

Room Tip: Ask for ocean view. Every time!