5,816 results
All reviews beach bar the banyan tree rocking chairs tower wing beautiful hotel oldest hotel waikiki beach heavenly bed older part original building ocean view old hawaii diamond head new tower an umbrella heart of waikiki resort fee
Reviewed 18 September 2018 via mobile

We stayed for three nights at the moana surfrider during our honeymoon and overall it was a very nice stay. However there are some pros and cons:

+ Perfect location, the hotel is in the center, beach front row, wonderful
+ We booked an ocean front room and had an absolutely breathtaking view over waikiki beach, diamond head and the hotel, it was gorgeous. We observed the surfers and enjoyed every minute of this experience. We slept with open doors to hear the ocean during the night.
+ The Hotelgrounds are very beautiful with a lof of plants and a nice interior
+ Every night there was live music, which we enjoyed very much
- Our room was quite old and needs a renovation. We paid a lot of money for this hotel and therefore we expect a room according to the current standard (especially the badroom).
- We mentionned in our booking that we are on our honeymoon and they did not considered that fact at all (not even a „congratulation“) In the „Grand Hyatt Kauai“ as well as in the „Fairmont Orchid“ Big Island they gave us a bottle of champagne to celebrate, which was very customer-oriented.
- Unfortunately the cocktails at the cocktail bar were not good and the service was rather basic
Overall a good (but also very expensive) stay.

Stayed: September 2018, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Nina-Switzerland-11
StarwoodWaikiki4, Manager at Moana Surfrider, A Westin Resort & Spa, Waikiki Beach, responded to this reviewResponded 25 September 2018

Aloha Nina-Switzerland-11,

Congratulations! Mahalo for choosing to stay with us to celebrate this special moment. We would, however like to extend our apologies that we had not recognized this during your stay. It is our mission to personalize guest experiences in a timeless setting and I am truly sorry to hear that we had not accomplished this with you. Please know that your feedback has been received and will be shared with our team. On the other hand I am delighted to hear you had enjoyed the central and oceanfront location of the Moana, live entertainment, and the oceanfront views from your room. From stunning ocean views to refreshing dips in Moana Pool to savoring the tastes and flavors of our island delights, I hope that the Moana Memories of your special stay in Hawaii will be fondly remembered. I appreciate your review and look forward to making your next stay at the Moana Surfrider, A Westin Resort & Spa, just as wonderful as the last.

Guest Experience Team

Reviewed 17 September 2018

I feel I am as qualified as anyone to write this review. I've been a visitor to Honolulu for more than 30 years - just keep going back because there's no reason not to love and enjoy it. Sure, Waikiki and it's resort hotels can appear a bit 'lost in the 70's', but it's more about the weather, the beaches, the cocktails ...and convertible Mustangs :-) Having said that, in those 30+ years, I've also travelled the world for business and pleasure. My reviews on this site are my personal and unbiased views.
In all my visits to Oahu, I've always dreamt of enjoying the charm and delights of the Moana Surfrider, having stayed next door at the Outrigger Waikiki multiple times, along the beach at the Royal Hawaiian, Hyatt Place and so on - this was the one beachfront hotel I wanted to enjoy.
So, to celebrate a 'milestone birthday', why wouldn't it make sense to fork out more than AUD1,000.00 per night for a beautiful tower beachfront suite at the Moana Surfrider??
OK - does that set the scene !!!
Yes, the beautiful and historic original building that opened as Hawaii's first hotel in 1910 is stunning - the Raffles of the Pacific. The opulent driveway, entrance and foyer, concierge etc is like stepping back in time to grandeur and royalty. Then again I already knew that having seen it's facade many times.
If only that same look and feel and everything else could be continued into the guest suites. Very sadly - it's not.
Yes, the Waikiki beach views all the way to Diamond Head and beyond as well as to the east take your breath away. But a 30 sqm suite with a bathroom that has not had an upgrade since the 50's, save for a new remote control whizz bang 'bidet' that would have limited patronage, just shows how out of touch the general accommodation market is in Honolulu. I guess it's because people like me keep going back, they don't think they have to change anything!!
Then there was the delightful 'paper' coffee cups - which once used were only replaced upon tracking down the cleaning staff to ask for more. And after all 3 original tea bags were used - do you think they might have been replaced over the course of a week - nuh ..... sadly not.
Now, did I mention the cost of Suite 1292 was in excess of AUD1,000.00pn - yes, I think I did.
The other side of the coin is - well no one travels to Hawaii to sit in a hotel Suite. True - but when celebrating a milestone birthday and wanting to chill in luxury, I'm expecting just a tad more than a 3 star motel service - irrespective of how damn good the views might be.
Anyway, I've already conveyed my feelings and comments to The Westin Moana Surfrider management and they were ever so gracious in apologising and offering me a small refund in compensation. Yes I am an SPG (Starwood Preferred Guest) member.
I think I should stop here - except, let me say the beach bar under the largest banyan tree most people are likely to see in their entire lives is wonderful, as is the 1910 bar for an evening cocktail and The Verandah restaurant is classy and stylish, with the food (for Hawaii and USA standards) more than reasonable in price.
Unfortunately the pool is a bit like the suites - tired, small, cramped and over run by kids - so if it's a beautiful pool you are seeking - not here.
Now, I probably need a 'disclaimer' - because it saddens me to think that such a stunning property can fall so short in so many fundamental areas. And I think I know a thing or two about this also - being a part owner of a tropical absolute beachfront resort in Far North Queensland.
Yes - Moana Surfrider location is tops, so are the original historic buildings. Staff are obliging, but I wouldn't say personable. Shopping and dining experiences along Kalakaua Ave abound. The transformed International Market Place opposite offers relaxed and fun shopping as well as half a dozen rooftop level restaurants that are all very well worth trying.
So - if you haven't fallen asleep yet reading this manuscript - that's a wrap !!

Room Tip: Beach views obviously, but they come with a price.
  • Stayed: August 2018, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Neil P
StarwoodWaikiki4, Manager at Moana Surfrider, A Westin Resort & Spa, Waikiki Beach, responded to this reviewResponded 17 September 2018

Aloha Neil P,

Thank you very much for taking the time to share your helpful feedback with our team following your recent stay at the Moana Surfrider, A Westin Resort & Spa. We are constantly looking for ways to improve our services and offerings for our guests and as such your insights are greatly appreciated. We take great pride in providing our guests with the superior customer service they deserve and we apologize if this is not what you experience during your visit. I will make sure to send your feedback to our management team so that we can address the issues you faced.

We truly apologize for the multiple shortfalls you encountered during your stay with us. We thank you again for your thoughtful comments, and we will work to make improvements. We are disappointed that we have let you down, and hope that if you choose to stay with us again, you will see improvements.

Reviewed 17 September 2018

Whether it was reception, concierge, wait staff or beach staff my wife and I could not have been more pleased with the service we received during a week long stay at The Moana Surfrider in Waikiki. Always available, providing viable options and, without exception, positive feedback. Of particular note the beach staff went well above and beyond when facilitating use of the loungers and umbrella sites. Special kudos to Lee Libby for his efforts and customer service.

Stayed: September 2018
StarwoodWaikiki4, Manager at Moana Surfrider, A Westin Resort & Spa, Waikiki Beach, responded to this reviewResponded 18 September 2018

Aloha bdlibbey,

Mahalo for staying with us at the Moana Surfrider, A Westin Resort & Spa. Thank you also for taking the time to share your experience. Your comments truly reflect the meaning of the Moana’s motto, “First Lady, First Class.” Our mission to personalize guest experiences in a timeless setting is fulfilled through the connections our associates make with our guests. Thank you for taking the time to recognize Lee, who went above and beyond to enhance your stay – associates like Lee are the heart of the First Lady of Waikiki and are proud to continue the tradition of sharing the aloha spirit. Your kind words will be shared with Lee and our management team. We hope to welcome you back one day soon to experience even more of the beauty of our island paradise. May your Moana Memories be fondly remembered.

Reviewed 17 September 2018 via mobile

Can’t beat the location. It is right on the beach, and on the Main Street as well. We enjoyed the short walks to nearly everything we wanted to do. We had a couple of dinners, and were able to walk to each.

Rooms were small, but comfortable. It is an old hotel, so you expect some of that. Views from the Banyan wing were nice.

Food and drinks are definitely pricey if you are eating at the hotel. $30/person for breakfast, and well over $50/per for dinner. Drinks were $12+ depending on what you wanted.

Pool was nice, although closed early each day. Proximity to the beach is the really crown jewel. Enjoy!

Stayed: September 2018, travelled as a couple

Aloha mstrausz,

Mahalo for choosing to stay with us at the Moana Surfrider, the First Lady of Waikiki. It was a pleasure to welcome you and to create some fond Moana Memories. As the first hotel built on Waikiki Beach in 1901, the Moana is a landmark steeped in rich history and timeless elegance. We are proud to continue the traditions of Hawaiian hospitality and preserve the original design of the First Lady of Waikiki to share with our guests. On your next stay with us, I recommend spending the afternoon on Waikiki Beach under one of our private beach umbrellas. This is one of my favorite spots to relax, unwind, and soak in the warmth and beauty of our island paradise. I look forward to your return to the Moana Surfrider, A Westin Resort & Spa on your next visit to Waikiki.

Reviewed 16 September 2018

Paying through the nose for a supposedly 5 star hotel - check out the view from our room 208. Check-in experience was worthy of Best Westin. Porters to busy standing around to assist with luggage. Room was also very small.

Room Tip: Ask for a room that does not look at the Air Conditioning Units
  • Stayed: September 2018, travelled as a couple
3  Thank RRSYD001
TehaniK5, Guest Relations Manager at Moana Surfrider, A Westin Resort & Spa, Waikiki Beach, responded to this reviewResponded 17 September 2018

Aloha RRSYD001,

We would like to thank you for your feedback concerning your most recent stay with us. Our guest feedback is important to us as oftentimes it may highlight areas of needed focus and attention. We always appreciate when our guests take the time to share their comments, positive or negative, with us so we can continue to improve our service.

Please accept our apologies that your stay was not as enjoyable as anticipated as guest care is amongst our highest priorities. It is our goal to respond to every concern and exceed all guest expectations and we did not reach our goal in your case. We truly apologize for this and hope we can welcome you back to the Moana Surfrider, a Westin Resort & Spa in the near future.

Mahalo,