“Not recommended”

Ranked #48 of 84 Hotels in Honolulu
New Westminster, Canada
“Not recommended”
Reviewed 21 February 2012

Although the staff at this hotel was great, and the rooms were clean, I would not recommend this hotel. Mainly because of the beds.

Our last day at the hotel, there were protests in front of the hotel by old staff. When we enquired what it was about, no one really said anything. I googled it when I got home. We were not pre-warned about this, but there was a lot of security. The protests were very peaceful and we did not feel in danger at any time, but if we had known this was going on, we would never have stayed there in the first place.

The beds were rock hard, the lobby always smelled terrible from the buffet, and the elevators were super slow. Our room was on the 9th Floor overlooking the smoking area. Which, for me was disgusting since I am not a smoker. The very odd time you could smell it. It really took away from our enjoyment out on the lenai. We did have a partial view of the ocean which looked beautiful.The pool was ok, but when I went to go in the hot tub it was luke warm. The beach was right across the street tho, so we just went there.

The pictures of this hotel on its website made it look incredible, but it was not actually anywhere near as good as the pictures made it look.

Room Tip: Ask for a room as high up as possible (It`s a very noisy area. The hotel itself is not noisy, its th...
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled with family
3 Thank MissTravel32
travelbygrayce, Public Relations Manager at Pacific Beach Hotel, responded to this review, 1 March 2012
Aloha, Mahalo for taking the time to give us feed-back on your recent stay and we humbly apologize for not meeting your expectations. I have asked each department head to look into the areas of concern. We are in the process of changing out beds and the project is on-going. We are pleased that you enjoyed the view from your room and yes the location right across from the beach is excellent. Our pool is a "swimmers" pool and maintenence is looking into the temperture of the hot tub. Again, your feed-back helps us get better. I have also asked our security department to look into the smoking areas. We do hope that you will give us another chance in the future and I would be pleased to look after your reservation. A Hui Hou..........
Grayce McCullough
Corporate Director Public Relations and Marketing
808-441-4857

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (851)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
saskatoon
Reviewed 20 February 2012

As usual we had great service from the staff, and personnell.
The workers were like Canada from the Phillipines and are to be commended on their pleasant and accomodating attitudes.
WE have great memories of the stay and were right on the Beach.

Room Tip: These people loking after guests were great and arranged trips and planned visits to shows. Great l...
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank normanwallace
Aloha Canada, Mahalo for your comments. We do pride ourselves on our beachfront location - and appreciate your kind comments on our excellent staff. They truly try to do everything possible to make our guests stay enjoyable. Our guests from Canada are some of the best and we will look forward to your return next year. Again, we appreciate your taking the time to give us feed-back and I will pass the comments on to our operations team.
If I can do anything for you please let me know.
A Hui Hou,
Grayce McCullough
Corporate Director of Public Relations and Marketing
Reviewed 20 February 2012

I don't know why on earth this place is still in business they should be put down or at least buy new beds with all that $$ the rip off people. Was here for 9 days & had bites on my body than my son & husband. It's amazing how many people have complained of the same problem but still continue. Will never again stay here. Big No No!

• Stayed February 2012
5 Thank D1024
Aloha - Mahalo, for taking the time to give us feed-back on your recent stay and we humbly apologize for not meeting your expectations. We have sent you a message through TripAdvisor for additional details and we are looking forward to your reply. Again, we do apologize and wish we had been notified of the problems mentioned during your stay with us. We pride ourselves on doing whatever it takes to meet our guests needs and expections. Again, please contact me to discuss the details.
A Hui Hou,
Grayce McCullough Corporate Director Public Relations and Marketing
Detroit
Reviewed 13 February 2012

I don't know where all the negative reviews are coming from. I didn't know what to expect after reading the reviews. I was even tempted to change hotels, but decided to take a chance and I'm glad I did. Me and my girlfriend ended up staying in the Oceanarium Tower which seemed to be the bad part from the reviews, but everything was great for our trip. We were checked in swiftly and the "seafood smell" that everybody talked about here wasn't even that bad. Give me a break.

Yes the furniture was a bit dated, but seriously who cares? The tv was new, the bed was more than comfortable, and the room was cleaned unless we had the do not disturb on the door. Our room was also very big although the bathroom was a bit small. Our view was of the city on the 7th floor facing Diamond Head and although not the greatest view, again who cares? We spent most of the day out of the hotel room and even at night, the view was more than enough. I also think this is the quiet side of the hotel so if possible ask for a room facing Diamond Head.

Everything was in walking distance but we also rented a car to see other parts of the island. Parking is 20 dollars a day and the garage is attached to the hotel so not a far walk. The hotel also offers free beach towels at the front desk if you ask. Unfortunately I only found out about it the day we left!

Again the beach is just a short walk across the street which is convenient. All in all it was a great experience and I would stay here again. My only real complaint would be about the elevators. The Ocenarium Tower has like 37 floors so you could be waiting for awhile at times if you stay in that tower.

Room Tip: Get a room facing Diamond Head for a quieter experience unless you must absolutely have a beachfront...
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
8 Thank detmi7mile
travelbygrayce, Public Relations Manager at Pacific Beach Hotel, responded to this review, 14 February 2012
Aloha, We are delighted that you gave us a chance to show you just what we can do to make our guests happy and content . The entire team here at the Pacific Beach Hotel does everything in their power to make sure your time with us memorable - we truly want your vacation to be the best. We appreciate the information about the beach towels and I will pass it on to the Executive Housekeeper (we should have tent cards in the room - so that you know where to get a beach towel) great suggestion and we will look into making it happen. Your right the location is the best - just a few short steps to the beach!! We appreciate your taking the time to give us your feed-back - it only helps us get better. We do hope that you will return soon and if there is anything I can do for you please let me know.
A Hui Hou......
Grayce McCullough - Corporate Director Public Relations and Marketing
graycem@hthcorp.com or 808-441-4857
Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 February 2012

This was my first time in Oahu so i didnt now what to expect. I was dropped off outside the hotel and i thought that it didnt look much. Once inside it was a different story. The first thing you notice is the large Aquarium in the restaurant. Check in was swift and the girl who checked us in was very pleasant and helpful. My room was near the top of the hotel and my balcony looked out across the beach and i could see Diamond Head infront of me. The view was lovely. Breakfast was included with my trip so i went to the restaurant not knowing what i would get. I was pleasantly surprised by the variety on offer. This was the best selection of breakfast i have seen. Every morning you could have something different. The staff in the restaurant were so happy and pleasant that it made it a joy to eat there. I found the hotel to be withing walking distance of most of the shops. Yes when i was there it was busy but then again it is a city so i expected this. I found the hotel to be comfortable and most of all the staff were all really nice and pleasant. If i am ever lucky enough to visit again then i would chose the hotel again.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled with family
8 Thank Sharon M
travelbygrayce, Public Relations Manager at Pacific Beach Hotel, responded to this review, 11 February 2012
Aloha,
Thank you so much for all your comments and we are so happy that you enjoyed your stay with us. I will pass all of the "ggod news" on in our staff meeting next week and I am sure that the department managers will be delighted to hear - about the front desk and the restaurant - you are so right the team in the Oceanarium Resturant is the best and they truly look after each guest as if they were family. I do hope that you were able to see our very own "Mermaid". I know that Scotland is far away (one of my favorite places) however, do come back and visit us soon. Please let me know if I can do anything for you. A Hui Hou (until we meet again).
Grayce McCullough Corporate Director Public Relations and Marketing - graycem@hthcorp.com