“First time visit”
Review of 8th & English

8th & English
Reserve with OpenTable
8th & English is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #222 of 2,019 Restaurants in Cincinnati
Reviewed 3 August 2017

Housed in the former Enoteca Emilia, 8th & English is a seafood focused restaurant with a few non seafood offerings in the first courses, pasta and main courses. My linguine with clam sauce which was my entree/main course was good although the portion very small. My friend's roasted chicken looked delicious. Service was friendly and attentive. Wine list was extensive. Wines by the glass ranged price from $8-$13.

Reviewed 27 July 2017 via mobile

BEFORE YOU GO: Seafood centric with an Italian focus. Great wine list with diverse European offerings. Dress is casual to business casual. Reservations accepted; phone & OpenTable. Credit cards accepted. Street & lot parking available.

PROS: Wine list, friendliness of service (both bar and table), aesthetic

CONS: having trouble coming up with anything of significance here, but my halibut was just slightly overcooked and there were some very minor service issues.

MUST TRY: swordfish meatballs, trout croquettes, spaghetti di nero, California halibut, chocolate buttermilk pie

8&E is in the old Enoteca Emilia space in the heart of one of Cincinnati's most charming neighborhoods, O'Bryonville. We LOVED Enoteca Emilia so were looking forward to seeing if the replacement was up to snuff.

The space is beautiful and it appears they havent done much to it since it changed hands. No need to. Bar service (I wish I had caught her name) was friendly and excellent. I had a negroni, made very well, and my wife has their spin on Manhattan, the Lower East Side. It was also quite good. Other two got glasses of Falanghina, but the bartender heard them asking questions about another wine on the list, she went ahead and poured them a taste. A real pro move.

Moved to a table upstairs for dinner. Started with swordfish meatballs (really good), trout croquettes (excellent), oysters (really good), and the small antipasti platter. Most of the antipasti platter was just decent but the octopus salad was outstanding. Really impressed by the tenderness as 95% of octopus is cooked improperly and is like rubber.

I had the halibut and it was slightly overcooked but the flavor of the sauce was delicious. At the table we also had trout, which was awesome, the spaghetti di nero which was also really good, linguine w/ clams, which I didn't taste but my father said was a little too salty, and the branzino, which my mother said was pretty good. Only side we got was be fries with bottarga and tomato dust. They were delicious. Crispy on the outside, tender on the inside.

Dessert was really good too. I had the chocolate buttermilk pie and it was divine. Not too sweet, enough salt, tang, and bourbon to be the winner of the table.

The minor service issues I referenced before were things like our server, Michael, fumbling through his menu presentation a little which is certainly nitpicking on my part. But also he didn't have a wine key so he was borrowing someone else's to open bottles. This led to a sloppy presentation on the first bottle and a delay in service of the second bottle. I only know because I heard him asking the servers assistant about it. The other was that the branzino was served whole and no one filleted it for about five minutes after it reached the table. Michael was attentive and knowledgeable so I don't want to give you the impression we somehow felt disappointed.

OVERALL: If I could give 4.5 stars I would. I'm stingy with 5 stars at restaurants. It was a really good meal but not quite perfect. Losing one half of a star was really just a death by a thousand cuts, a few little things. It was a great meal and we will definitely be back. Thank you 8&E!

Reviewed 18 June 2017 via mobile

We've been to this O'Bryanville many times but the first time since 8 & E moved into this location! What a pleasant surprise to find such a delightful neighborhood restaurant! Our table was in the loft so quieter than on the main floor. The menu was varied enough for our taste and the food was flavorful! At our table, we had the mussels, a salad caprese, pasta with lamb, and the Branzino! One dish was better than the next. Better yet, it was reasonably prized! Unfortunately we had no room for dessert - next time!

Reviewed 23 May 2017 via mobile

Absolutely delicious dinner! Great cocktails, excellent service, lovely wine list, and our entrees were fabulous! The pasta with lobster is unbelievable as is the trout. Can't wait to check out the oysters and other apps next time--heard they are killer.

Reviewed 15 May 2017

This place specializes in fish and local foods. We came late on a Saturday with no reservations and the place was packed. After a short wait, we were seated in the bar area. The kitchen was out of several of the items that we ordered, but the waitress made great alternative suggestions. We started with some of the freshest and best prepared fried calamari that I have had outside of the mediterranean. It was nicely presented and garnished. We ordered the pasta nero with lobster and the Indiana duck breast. Both dishes were outstanding.

The chef here is a true culinary artist; not outlandish, but making really excellent new twists on classic dishes. All of the staff we spoke to were friendly and helpful and seemed genuinely interested in helping us have an excellent dining experience.

We will definitely come back here.