“5 * STAFF”

Ranked #3 of 6 Hotels in Bel Ombre
Solihull, United Kingdom
“5 * STAFF”
Reviewed 12 June 2012

We have just returned from our honeymoon at the lovely Heritage Awali, and scanning trip advisor for months prior to decide on which hotel we would be going to in Mauritius I will make sure I leave a nice long review and cover everything.

Now this hotel was not the cheapest option nor was it by any means the most expensive either. Our requirements were, AI as Mauritius is not cheap in the way of food and alcohol. Plenty to do as my husband is not a sunbather, a good atmosphere, not too stuffy a hotel, nice beach, nice people, and good food.

All of the above were completely met.

When we arrived at the hotel it was only 11am, we were told that our room would not be ready until 1:30-2:00pm and if we would like to go to the bar area we could start our AI straight away. We were also given a letter explaining the AI and any questions we had they were happy to answer then and there.

Everything is completely clear and really easy to follow and the best AI I have ever seen, seems to me that the people moaning on here is the more you offer the more someone has to moan about.

Drinks included were every spirit you could think of, cocktails (massive list and they would even make you something you prefer if not on there) beer, wine (which was lovely - both by the glass or bottle), water and champagne (both Rose and normal). Plus coffee, tea and normal soft drinks.

We were shown our room at just before 2, which when it was probably done a few years ago was probably stunning, don't get me wrong the room was still lovely, good quality bathroom fittings, separate shower, walk in wardrobe. The bed (one of the most important things for me) was lovely and I slept the best in a hotel ever and I am really picky normally. Our room was cleaned twice a day even folding up our pants! The room is dark but this is an added bonus to me as it meant I would sleep past my normal 7:00am. Lighting in the bathroom is good so easy for putting your makeup on.

We also had the room service breakfast to our room a couple of times and this was much nicer than in the buffet plus you got lovely scrabble eggs, this was only a couple of £'s to have and you can have this up until 12:00pm.

The hotel grounds are stunning, and kept amazing, always clean.

Now while we were there, the South had an anti-Cyclone which meant, cloud, wind and rain. Out of our 14 days we probably had 4 really good days, the rest were hit and miss. This is where the AI really kicked in as once the rain started everyone would run to the bar areas.

We also booked our first week in the restaurants 2 days after we arrived and managed to eat at the following:

Gin' Ja - Japanese
This was really more of a Chinese/ Japanese / Thai restaurant and in a lovely setting just past the Telfair and nearly at the C beach club. This was our favourite of all the restaurants. The Service here although part of the Telfair was great, really professional and the food was divine. In the end we managed to eat here 3 times.

Chateau - French/ al a carte
Again the food here was of a high standard and the setting was nice - we managed to eat here once.

Infinity Blue - Seafood/ Mediterranean - ate here 3 times too.
Also one of our favourite meals was here this was our honeymoon meal and this was just lovely.

Annabella's - Mauritian - ate here twice
Now this was the only place that let the hotel complex down, whilst it was not my favourite both my meals here were still ok to nice, however my husband had two bad meals. The real draw back here is the staff, they are on the rude side and not anywhere as nice as the staff at the other restaurants.

Boma (supplemented African night)
This is still fairly new and started well - food was nice drink included and African dancing, however for the extra cost was it worth £30 extra each then the answer would be no, if it was £10 then perhaps yes so you decide.

Zenzi bar - daytime bar snacks & evening entertainment
This was my favourite place of everywhere, not just because it was the bar, but the staff here made our holiday, some are so efficient (Ashley the machine) others are there to keep you entertained (Ronaldo - this was our code name for him) but really all of the staff that worked on this part of the hotel were by far the most friendly and the best!. In the evening this is the main bar, at 7:00 the snacks come out chicken wings, squid etc... And each night there is a different singer or band. Now this is where the Awali and the Telfair next door differ. AI Awali means yes everyone will be in the bar drinking and enjoying their holiday, the atmosphere is great much better than I thought it would be, everyone gets to know each other and generally having a good time. Next door at the Telfair is very lovely and there bands are probably slightly better but they are only playing to a couple of people in the bar, so no atmosphere. So depending on what you want from your holiday will depend on which hotel you stop at. However my opinion is why pay probably another £1000 to stay next door when you can still use everything there.

C beach club (10 min walk go past the Telfair along the beach and you can’t miss it)
This is so lovely and one of our favourite spots, it where you can do kite surfing, water skiing, boats etc.. this area is new and the best part of the beach. Modern huts, day beds. You can also have your lunch here which is included in your AI package and also drinks with your lunch. Just ask for a bottle of water before you leave the Awali and take it with you until lunchtime. The food here again at lunch is lovely, big salads, pizza, pasta etc.. they also have a disco on every Friday & Saturday evening. We did not go to this be the option is there.

Golf course - Free to play and lunch food
You get the Shuttle bus here that runs every 20 mins, this place is just stunning, the view of the course when you arrive is worth the lunchtime visit even if you don't play golf. The food again is lovely and also included in your AI options. Gold wise I had my free lesson and then played the 9 holes which was also great.

Buffet (Awali)
The buffet changes on a daily basis so I can only comment on the Italian and Mauritian one which we had when we were there. Both of these were lovely and something for everyone. Starters - mini chicken kebabs, salads, fish, soups etc..
Mains - Pasta to order, meat and fish stations and then the main meals
Pudding - Loads of choices
We found here to be still really good and don't see why people can complain.

So much so I have come back from the Awali 7lbs heavier in two weeks!!!

Spa
We only got round to having this the day before we left, it was so nice that I booked to go back on my own later that same day and had the Mauritian Massage which was great, shame I was getting on a plane and going to hunch myself back up again.

When booking out you can try and get you room till you leave at a cost of £50-£60 extra, however we did not and used their room which is great. You had your own bathroom, towels, locker to fit hand luggage cases etc.. so don't keep your room this is perfect spend the money on extra trips.

Anyway to sum this place up, it is not the 5* romantic hideaway holiday where they just cater for honeymooners. It is a fun hotel with great staff and the best value for what you get. Don't go here thinking it is really posh and you want the quiet holiday, if that is the case stop next door. The Telfair is stunning and completely different to the Awali, it just depends what you want. Both are great but with a different feel, me personally I’m so glad I stopped at the Awali.

4 Thank Lozeves

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (709)
  • Czech first
Middlesbrough, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 June 2012

We have just returned from our honeymoon in Mauritius.

We would recommend the Heritage Awali to anyone seeing a luxury holiday with a fabulous all inclusive package. The Staff were very attentive and friendly.

The hotel food was amazing, we particuarly enjoyed the Chateau and Ginja, which were both included in our all inclusive package. We drank unlimited champagne during our stay which amounted in excess of £1000.

The beach was lovely and we would recommend the excursions with summertime to see the dolphins and take a trip to coconut island to meet David and O Route!

The hotel was really clean and the food was of a very high standard.

Lovely honemoon, fantastic staff, perfect hotel

Many thanks

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 June 2012

We had the most amazing wedding and honeymoon for two weeks at the Awali in November 2011. Nothing was too much for the staff to accommodate the wedding co-ordination Keshnee was an absolute angel, we had everything we wanted the way we wanted it was just perfect. We had our own photographer who lives on the island, Will http://www.wix.com/gdcphotos/GDC-PHOTOS was fantastic and really captured our day the way we want to remember it forever. The little trio band we had was a big hit with all guests. Most of our guest were staying at other hotels on the island and were well accommodated on the day.

We booked all inclusive, the only advice I would offer is that you book the restaurants in advance as they get booked up very quickly however all the restaurant offer a fantastic choice and quality of food. Everything on the drinks menu is included imports and champers well worth it.
The free spa treatment was also included, I upgraded but my husband and other family members used the standard offer. The glass bottom boat was included and was an lovely afternoon trip out. We upgraded the 4x4 trip for quad biking and had an awesome day even my 63 year old my had a whale of a time!!!!Some of the evening entertainment was a bit samey but hey sometimes you just need to roll with it

This review can only touch the surface of how amazing our experience was at the Awali.

Room Tip: We had an ocean view and was well worth it. Family had standard rooms and were very happy with their...
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled as a couple
8 Thank gbc82
Bristol
Reviewed 8 June 2012

Here it is in a nutshell

Welcome

Welcomed in to African drums and a cocktail, smooth easy check in.

Room

We stayed in room 3006 which had a sea view and was amazing. totally obsessive cleaner (Sunny) kept it in pristine condition at all times. Whilst the weather wasn't that kind to us (there was an anti-cyclone whilst we were there) the back patio area of the room was sheltered from the wind and it was lovely and warm to sit out there and read a book in.

Whilst we have had better food at other hotels this was very nice...my first meal was octopus curry at the Infinity Blue restaurant which made a bit of a change to say the least.!!! we also tried deer curry whilst we were there too. The Chateaux on Mauritian night is well worth the supplement to go there.

Drinks

Fabulous array of drinks on the all inclusive...including cointreau and champagne so I was in my element.

Beach

Lovely - plenty of shade for those that like it and no fighting to claim the beds as we never struggled to find one at any time of the day. I was lucky enough to be asked to be a witness at a wedding on the beach which was a fabulous setting for the couple's special day.

The whole place is very relaxing, African in Style (the Telfair next door is more colonial and a bit more stuffy). The staff are amazing and are very appreciative of tips. They really cant do enough for you and want to make sure you have a great time.

Spa

Hubby and I enjoyed the free massage that came with our package and the spa seemed really nice and very professional.

Jeep safari

We also enjoyed the jeep safari to the local nature reserve that came with our package (get set for a very bumpy ride though !!!!).

Trips

We took the Solis trip entitled the 'South island tour', which was great to see the sites but also entailed an afternoon of shopping at their 'selected' shops. I'd have been happy to have just the site seeing so we headed home early. However the sites themselves are worthwhile seeing.

Overall we had a fabulous holiday and Mauritius is a wonderful place to see.

You'll have a great time...enjoy...!!!!

Room Tip: sea view room as lovely but to be honest the whole place is very nice.
5 Thank sibloo01
Edinburgh
Reviewed 8 June 2012

My new wife and i stayed here as the first part of our honeymoon right after our wedding. It was the perfect place to chill after all the energy of our wedding. Some people have commented this this hotel is 'out of the way' but i think thats completely to its benefit. It is not in some big tourist area with multiple other hotels, it is in a lovely quiet part of the island that is very lush and green and very relaxed.
The staff at Awali are mostly smiley and helpful, maybe a bit slow at times, but the real star is the food. We ate so well here, they have some great chefs and there is good variety and we honestly didnt have a single bad meal here. The only slightly down meal was at Annabellas next door at Le Telfair, the sister hotel. Guest can dine at either hotel but as i think has been mentioned before there was definately an attitude at Le Telfair that if you were a Awali guest all of a sudden your service would be slower and less friendly, it was incredibly evident from the Maitre D at Annabellas, his attitude really was less that professional. This confuses me as they are the same group...there is no problems with guest booking into either hotels restaurants and i actually think Awali is the nicer of the two hotels so why the attitude?! Having said that our meal at Ginja at Telfair was fantastic and the best of our stay, the chef there really is very talented.
There is loads to do, if you so wish, or plenty of opportunity to relax if you dont! The only activities we did really were the 4x4 tour and massage. 4x4 was great, our guide was excellent, really friendly and informative and we had a great time. Although we also heard stories of another guide who brought out pics of his kids, told people how poor he was etc and basically asked for tips...not really on in my book! Massage was great, both really enjoyed it and the spa is lovely.
On our final night we did the 'Boma' meal...which was fun, entertainment was good and food nice enough..but no better than the restaurants. But i really dont think its worth the surcharge...considering we were all inclusive the surcharge was pretty hefty and not worth it in my book.
Overall a great hotel, little things let it down slightly but not enough to give it less than 5 stars or affect our experience.

3 Thank calumrobertson
LUX* Belle Mare
#1 of 13 in Belle Mare
0.6 km away
Outrigger Mauritius Beach Resort

Been to Heritage Awali Golf & Spa Resort? Share your experiences!