“Terrible Front Desk Service”
Review of West Inn Taiping

West Inn Taiping
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Kamunting
West Inn Taiping
Ranked #1 of 1 Kamunting B&B and Inns
Reviewed 17 April 2016

This is the second time my family and I stayed at West Inn Taiping. We booked a Deluxe Twin with 2 king size beds for a night at the cost of RM120.

We checked in the hotel on Saturday and we were served well by a very friendly Malay female receptionist during check-in. The room had good and bad points. Pros: 1) the room was spacious, 2) pillows were comfortable, and 3) bathroom was big. Cons: 1) the room was not soundproof, 2) the two king beds were too soft, not suitable for old people, 3) there is only one hanger in the bathroom, 4) only soap was provided but not shampoo, and 5) it took long time for the air Cond to cool down the whole room.

In overall, we were satisfied with our stay at the hotel. In fact, we wanted to rate the hotel with 5 stars in this review. However, something BAD happened during check-out and I changed my mind. If possible, I'd like to give 0 star. Unfortunately, 1 star is the lowest rating.

So, this is what happened... During check-in, we were provided 2 remote controls for TV and air Cond but we were not informed that they must be returned back to the front desk during check-out. When we checked out the next day morning, we were served by another receptionist, a Chinese lady with spec. When we walked down the stairs, she was talking happily with another girl but the moment we came to the front desk, her smiling face disappeared immediately. Even worse, when she realized that we didn't bring down the remote controls, her face turned black immediately. Without asking me to wait (actually I was waiting to collect back my deposit), she turned back and walked up the stairs as if I was not there... spoiling my morning mood...

Thank you very much for helping me to make a decision, that is, not to come back to this hotel anymore.

• Stayed: April 2016, travelled with family

A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 8 November 2015 via mobile

We stayed 4 nights in the West Inn for a family wedding as it was at the end of the road where our family live.

The room was clean and spacious with good air con and wifi an the staff were friendly. The price was reasonable for the room we had.

The only slight downside was that as it is on a main road you can hear the cars. If you're a light sleeper like me you may need a pair of ear plugs but other than that we had a good stay

Stayed: October 2015, travelled with family
Reviewed 5 April 2015

Stayed at this hotel for 1 night. The rooms that I booked are Standard Room and Deluxe Room at the rate of RM68 and RM80 per night respectively. I made room reservation through phone call about 1 month before my visit. Before the booking, I did some comparisons between hotels through Agoda.com, Booking.com and Tripadvisor.com. I found good reviews from there, I found the rate quite cheap and I also found nice room pictures from the hotel's official website. So, at that time, I was very confident that I booked a very good hotel.

After I reached Taiping, I made a call to the hotel around 10++am, asking them if I was allowed to check in the hotel before 2pm. I was told that I could check in early but they will call me only when the rooms were ready. Around 1:10pm, I still didn't receive any call from the hotel. So, I drove straight to the hotel and reached there around 1:20pm. The hotel was easy to find. We just followed Waze's instructions and it guided us all the way to the hotel. It is strategically located in between Jusco, Tesco and Taiping Central Mall. It looked nice and clean from the outside. I entered the hotel alone and asked the staff at the counter whether my rooms were ready and the answer was still no. She told me that she will call me when my rooms were ready. That was the second time I received that kind of promise. After waiting for her call for about 30 minutes in my car, suddenly my sister-in-law came out from her car and told me she was told that the room was ready. What was happening? I was the one who asked the question so many times but the staff answered someone else, of different gender. How can she make such as big mistake? How can she tell whether my sister-in-law was with me or not? What about the phone call? Promised me twice but received nothing at the end.

Upon check-in, then only I realized that the hotel doesn't accept credit card. After giving her my IC, she started to write my particulars onto the receipt, very slowly -.-" Half way of the first writing, she suddenly cancelled the receipt, write a new one. Then, half way of the second writing, she cancelled it and write a new one again. And yet, she made another mistake on the 3rd writing. I was really speechless. How can a hotel hire such a careless person to take care of the front desk. My family and I were from KL. We departed at 5am, reached Taiping around 8am, and after busy with something for the whole morning, just wanted to have a quick and smooth check in and take a good rest in the rooms. However, we were "welcomed" by staff without smiling face but with cold attitude. Some more, she made so many mistakes, wasting our time. If she can find out the mistake, I will just pay back the RM8. Otherwise, that was her problem, not mine.

The hotel has no lift. So, we need to use the staircase. We took 3 rounds to carry all of our stuffs into the rooms. The room doesn't look like the one published on the web. It looks old but it was quite big and it was clean. The King size bed was really big and it was comfortable to sleep. Since only 2 pillows were given, I went down to ask for an additional pillow. Upon request, the staff asked me whether it is written on the web to allow such a request. Just after she asked the question, she realized that she asked the wrong question and immediately went into the store room and get 1 for me. I felt like talking to a trainee.

On the left hand side of the bed is a dressing table with a mirror and 1 wall socket. Opposite of the bed was a TV that offers a number of local channels with good reception. Its Air-Cond was quite cold. Although the hotel is facing busy main road, it was quite quiet in the room. However, we could hear sounds from the corridor and rooms on the opposite row, indicating that the room was not really soundproof. 2 towels were provided. Although they smelled OK, we didn't use them. The reason is that they are dark in color, making us difficult to tell whether they are clean or not. No drinking water was provided in the room. Water dispenser was also not available in the hotel. So, we bought 2 big bottles of drinking water of 5.5 liters. The lighting in the room was not good enough for me to do my office work as one of the light bulbs burnt out in the evening. The bathroom was considered clean. However, only soap was provided. What a stingy hotel.

After about 2 hours, the staff came to my room. She told me that she made a mistake on the receipt and asked me to pay an additional RM8. I just gave her back the receipt and RM8, but she asked me to go down and collect a new receipt (the 4th receipt) from her later. I told her I will not go down and she should be the one to come up and return the receipt to me. When she came back later, she apologized to me. I accepted her apology but things already happened and they cannot be undone.

Overall, my family and I were not really satisfied with our stay at the hotel. Although the hotel has strategic location, the rooms are quite cheap, big and clean, but we had unpleasant experience with the front desk. Not really sure whether we will visit the hotel again or not in the future.

• Stayed: April 2015, travelled on business
2  Thank Sean442014
Reviewed 21 December 2014

Value for money.I check in the standard twin bed room and i was suprise with the big room size. the hotel is very clean and the best is very comfort to sleep. The hotel location is very strategy as it near Aeon Mall and Tesco. The only minus point is only offer 1 plug and near christian cemetery (not something to worry about as nothing happen). The good part is the hotel room size, car parking with security, nice bed, free wifi and strategy location.

Room Tip: standard room is big enough for family however it use 2 single (standard size) or Queen bed