I would agree with Kuoni's rating on this hotel and give it 3.5 out of 5.
The hotel stff were very friendly with some being more attentive and cheerful than others. The food was good but be warned, there was a lack of western food. This suited us just fine however as we didnt go half way across the world to eat pizza and chips. Expect Sri Lankan curries, rice, salad bar, and various desserts amongst other delights.
The rooms were fairly basic (deluxe room 103) but were very clean, with air conditioning and nice powerful hot showers. Tip the room boys for extra towels which they will often leave in various animal shapes such as turtles, elephants etc.
The best bit about this hotel is the location. To one side there is a river with lots of mangroves and to the other a lovely beach. I recommend asking Anura (one of the beach boys) to take you round the mangroves one morning. We saw crocodiles, water monitor lizards, various birds of prey, tree frogs and even a bird of paradise. The beach was lovely but pay attention to the flag warnings as the current gets very strong. On the beach to the right there is a buddist temple which should not be missed and is free to look around.
On to the wonderful Luba. We wanted to see a bit of Sri Lanka and had read all the other reviews about Luba so decided to find out what he could do for us. We were not disappointed! Our main goal was to take a safari at Yala National Park. We left at 6am and returned the next day in time for dinner. The safari was far better than we had expected and saw elephants, crocodiles, mongoose, water buffalo, monkeys, warthogs, a leopard and many other animals. This trip was luxury travel for a very very good price. Whilst away for the 2 days Luba also took us to: gemstone mine, tea plantation, elephant transit home (Udawala)and Galle Fortress. The hotel we stayed at just by Yala which was included in his price was also very good. I cannot recommend Luba enough and he deserves all the praise he gets on this site. He can be found in the beach hut or contacted on +94777405152 or email@example.com
All in all a lovely stay and would certainly go back.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Discover the wonders of the beaches of Sri Lanka during your stay at Club Bentota. A hassle free vacation for you and a fun-packed adventure for the kids: we provide exciting water sports, an extensive Ayurvedic spa and so much more on a secluded, breathtaking beach front. Built on a peninsula referred to as Paradise Island, Club Bentota is located on the South West coast of Sri Lanka and is flanked by the Indian Ocean and the Bentota River. Have fun under the sun with jet skiing, wind surfing, beach volleyball, croquet, river boat cruises and much more. Unwind by taking a dip in the pool or Ocean, play a game of cards with friendly guests from around the world, or read a book in our hotel book shop. Choose from our all-inclusive or full-board packages and book a vacation to Club Bentota, where the sun and sand await you. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Hotels.com, Agoda, TripOnline SA and HotelQuickly so you can book your Club Bentota reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Club Bentota Hotel Aluthgama
- Bentota Hotel Aluthgama
- Club Bentota Sri Lanka/Aluthgama