All reviewsbeach housefamily stylebottle housedive instructormeals serveddive shoprain barrellittle cornplace to staycasa grandecommunal tabledive coursefrom spainunique experiencebring a flashlightbeautiful junglebare feet
Reviewed 5 April 2014 via mobile

Let me preface this by saying that my girlfriend made a mistake in our booking dates so we showed up one day late and were charged for the day we weren't there- that's fine, or bad... Take our $85

Now that being said... We walk up and Anna instantly starts in on us about how we will be charged, how we cost her money since she could have rented it to guests who would have "bought things from her"- so we should feel guilty for paying for a room we didn't use?

We ask for a late checkout the next day (later than 10am, like say 11 or 12) and are told absolutely not since someone might want to walk by and rent it... So we check out and watch our room sit unused, uncleaned etc

For 80$/night you might think there was a gym, but really all you get is a 30+ minute walk to get anywhere else on the island. I can imagine Anna thinking we are just whiny Americans, but she was incredibly rude, the place is a total rip off, the rooms are ok, she makes her cook go ask if people want dinner instead of doing anything herself, and she is inflexible and rude.

Worst place I stayed in Nicaragua or on little corn. If you don't like working with people, stay out of hospitality!

Derek seemed like a nice laid back hippy guy from our brief interaction.

Stayed: April 2014
3  Thank travelguy9981
DerekofDereksPlace, Owner at Derek's Place, responded to this reviewResponded 16 May 2017

Yes, it could have happened as you reported. There are only five rooms so the bookings are very important, the nights cannot be had back (not like selling sodas and the unsold can be sold next day) but if people know they cannot make it and we can rent it out to someone who would like it we can often make a compromises with the originals afterwards, depending on the situation.
As far as late checkout, the cleaning girls only work half day so they only have a limited time before they go home, otherwise the room stays a mess and the people are charged. Nothing personal, just business policy.

Take care and good luck,
Derek

PS: I don't usually quote Ronald Reagan, but he once said a hippy looks like Tarzan, walks like Jane and smells like Cheetah. I am not a hippy! Just eccentric perhaps, haha.

Reviewed 30 March 2014

Really mixed feelings about this place, but ultimately would not recommend it.

The bungalows are adorable, loved the rustic charm, location is super with a cool onshore breeze, the food is fine, not fabulous but fine. Missy, the dive instructor, is terrific.

Honestly the only problem with this place are the hosts. Specifically Anna, who is simply not hospitable.

Classic scenario:
Me: "Hi Anna, the bulbs are out in our bungalow, would you mind replacing them? No rush".
Anna: "You have to talk to Derek. That's his department".

My favorite example was the day they refused to feed us because we had forgotten to order lunch and there "was not enough food".

We had just spent the morning diving with their instructor (who is fabulous). We came off the water after four hours, tired and hungry, to be told that we should have ordered in advance and there was not enough food.

We offered to eat whatever was available, leftovers, a sandwich, anything.... The other guests, already gathered for lunch, were embarrassed and startled as Anna reacted with completed indignation and stormed away from the table, "how can you put me in this position?".

The server in the kitchen refused to give us plates to eat leftovers and we had to walk 20 minutes to the village at 2pm to get some lunch.

And this with a child? I was traveling with my 13 year old son. We were staying for six nights, and both of us were taking dive courses, ie good guests to have.

Some other classic moments were when we saw fresh milk being delivered (a rarity on the island) and I asked if my son could have a glass. He had been five days without fresh milk and was very excited at the prospect. "No, I need it all to make the cheese" was the reply.

Next day, Anna was eating the homemade cheese at breakfast. "How did the cheese work out?", I asked, knowing it was her first time to make it. "You can't have any. It's just for us. I can not give it to everybody". I am not kidding. That's verbatim.

Honestly, we are laughing now and even at the time, because it was so comical. "No, there is not enough food!!@#$" my son would mimic Anna. But really, this is no way to treat guests.

My son initially described staying there as being like house guests, because you had to fend for yourself and not expect to be waited on. But later he revised his opinion, "If we were house guests, they would give us plates to eat leftovers."

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
9  Thank Dublin-DC
Reviewed 23 March 2014

We visited Little Corn Island in March 2014. Upon arrival we did not have reservations anywhere. We asked everywhere for accommodation our first night and could not find anything available. We stumbled upon Derek's Place. They had a last minute cancellation which freed up a nice cabin with 2 double beds in a nice cabana. The bathrooms had soap made by Anna, one of the owners. The setting on the beach with green grass was beautiful and there were relaxing hammocks around the property. Unfortunately, they only had the room available for one night but it was an excellent stay. We did go back and scuba dive with them and had a great time. High recommend!

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 22 March 2014

Loved it! Interesting array of reviews on the site. We stayed in the Beach House which has a kitchenette (no fridge) which we made use of for daily breakfasts. There are critters around so I would recommend keeping food in the pots or hanging ala bear bagging it. The kitchen also lent us a large tupperware to keep food in. Else you can rent space in the kitchen's fridge for $1 per item per day. We just bought stuff that didn't spoil outside the fridge (eggs, cucumbers, tomatoes, coconut bread, pineapple, rum, wine). If you are wondering what you may want to bring -- oil, salt/pepper are not supplied there although you can buy them in town or bring them in yourself. The Beach House has its own shower whereas the others use a shared one. The shower setup itself is a bucket system which was actually great I thought -- homemade soaps are provided. There are 2 small bedrooms upstairs, may be tougher for some taller people bc they are kind of in the attic. I was mostly comfortable there. If you are claustrophobic, this may not be a good hut for you. The downstairs has a bathroom, kitchen, and spacious front room as well as a wrap around deck with chairs, benches, and a hammock. This hut is the one closest to the beach. All the huts are uniquely made with mostly recycled materials. They are spaced out and have excellent views of the water.

The food was delicious - we had 2 dinners and a breakfast. It is on the pricier side but is all you can eat. Try it for yourself and if you don't want to eat there, the walk was not bad into town. I'm 6 months pregnant and was able to manage. The beach is extremely swimmable and clean. Derek and Ana were interesting and dynamic people to be around.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank bluebird79
Reviewed 22 February 2014

For the most part we enjoyed our stay at Derik's Place. It is secluded. It is romantic. We stayed for 6 nights and would have happily stayed for more if we didn't have to go home.

We went into the stay with pretty low expectations given the reviews we had read. And we has two sets of friends who had stayed there before - one loved it and the other thought the value was pretty low. So we were delighted to find that it suited us just fine. We don't mind rustic (we camp and backpack a lot) and so we didn't mind the walk. We also didn't mind the bucket showers - in fact the bathroom was rather sweet.

We went into it knowing we would eat most of our meals elsewhere. In fact we ate most of our breakfasts at Derik's ($5 + $1 for coffee) but at every other meal elsewhere (Lunch was around $8; Dinner $15; Beer $2) Usually we just ate breakfast and a late lunch/early dinner. Prices at Derik's were 30-50% higher than other places on the island.

Ana and the kids were in Managua when we were there but Derik was around.

My one warning: During one of our moves between cabanas one of our Petzl headlamps 'disappeared' never to be found again. This was annoying because it made us have to do the walk back each night with only one light. We never got an apology. But it could have been worse. As for locking up your valuables the lock boxes in the rooms do seem to be new and you can set them with your own code.

Given everything we would stay there again (it is still one of the better options on the island)

Room Tip: Over the 6 nights we stayed in 3 different rooms: Casita, Beach House and High Casita. The high casita was our favorite (well appointed, nice veranda) and the Beach House was our least favorite (the sleeping loft puts you right up against the thatch in the roof with an old wasp nest and mouse nest; the electrical plugs and wiring were rusted and more than a bit scary)
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple